Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #31
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You guys are being WAY TOO HARD on dilane...and I'm not a fan of dilane...

but really...what he wrote was something I've seen MANY times before when someone dies...MANY TIMES.

Why this particular instance stuck in the craw of some of you so intently this time around, is a total mystery. Words of wisdom --> LET IT GO
Completely disagree. When someone you care for passes it's a horrible feeling. One thing that can soften the blow just a bit is to happily remember that person and the ways he brought joy to our lives. It's the ONE time where something being conditional does carry the day.

Everybody has something people like about us and don't. We all trade barbs in the myriad of threads in this forum. Certainly there's no shortage of opportunities to compare and contrast announcers. But to add to the downer of losing a friend. In THIS thread feels like being kicked when you are down. To write that shows such disregard for the feelings of those that are grieving. Saying you didn't like his calls was more important than the broken hearts. How can that be?

Terry DIED. The fact that we're talking about ANYTHING other than that singular horrible fact is evidence in itself that commenting on his announcing skill has no place here. How can focus of losing him be misdirected?

Terry DIED and were making posts about something other than the fact that he's gone and how sadly that makes us feel.

Why should those of us that loved him be forced to feel even worse?

I have zero problem with anyone expressing their opinion about our game. That's what PA is all about.

But to put it in THIS thread is awful.

If dying can't get you a pass??? WTF???

Last edited by v j stauffer; 12-14-2018 at 12:57 AM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #32
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

These are the dangers you face when you decide to go public with your thoughts and feelings on these boards.

You get feedback that sometimes you expect and enjoy, and other times, you get feedback you don't expect, or that doesn't make you feel all that good.

Your experiences, thoughts and feelings regarding Terry's passing are going to be completely different then someone else (dilane) who didn't know him personally and only knew him from afar as an announcer.

Really, you should respect that, and don't take dilane's comments so personally. That's on you.

Some of you are charging dilane with a capital crime, which I find absurd. His comments weren't that out of line. In fact, they really weren't out of line at all, given HIS connection (or lack thereof) to Terry Wallace (which was like most of us...we observed him from afar and didn't know him personally).
Old 12-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #33
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
These are the dangers you face when you decide to go public with your thoughts and feelings on these boards.

You get feedback that sometimes you expect and enjoy, and other times, you get feedback you don't expect, or that doesn't make you feel all that good.

Your experiences, thoughts and feelings regarding Terry's passing are going to be completely different then someone else (dilane) who didn't know him personally and only knew him from afar as an announcer.

Really, you should respect that, and don't take dilane's comments so personally. That's on you.

Some of you are charging dilane with a capital crime, which I find absurd. His comments weren't that out of line. In fact, they really weren't out of line at all, given HIS connection (or lack thereof) to Terry Wallace (which was like most of us...we observed him from afar and didn't know him personally).
There are 30 announcers threads on this site. He could have chosen any of those. If you can't understand that I can't help you. That's on you.

I'm not he only one who thought the guys comments were inappropriate.

He's in 2nd place now though. For you to continue to argue this indefensible position vaults you to the front.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #34
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
There are 30 announcers threads on this site. He could have chosen any of those. If you can't understand that I can't help you. That's on you.

I'm not he only one who thought the guys comments were inappropriate.

He's in 2nd place now though. For you to continue to argue this indefensible position vaults you to the front.
Whatever Mr. Big Font.

Again, what dilane said about Mr. Wallace has been expressed many times about someone public who has passed on..."I didn't care for the way he did this, but..."

It's said ALL THE TIME on here when someone dies in the public eye.

Now all of a sudden it's the end of the world.

Whatever. I'm done with this nonsense.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #35
ultracapper

He must be a decent lawyer. He knows when to step away from a tough battle anyhow.

He probably could have saved the comment for somewhere else.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #36
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
He passed on the same exact date a Charles Cella.
I didn’t know that. How coincidental, and in a nice way. Too bad they aren’t racing on this date so that they could make it a celebration of 2 great men of Oaklawn.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #37
whisperlunch

What an interesting thread. I grew up in Tulsa & the only horse racing until Blue Ribbon Downs and then Remington WAS TERRY WALLACE and Oaklawn. Terry actually called races at Will Rogers Downs in Claremore Ok for a couple years. I was a huge Terry Wallace Fan.
Also I really like Vic.

But Pace has a very valid point. And the guy that started this topic is just stating an honest opinion that I did not find offensive.
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply