Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-12-2023, 07:47 AM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Jayden Daniels - Heisman winner

LSU is having a mediocre season with three losses, but this guy has been outstanding.
Last night he was beyond outstanding in a victory over Florida:
372 passing yds with three TDs
234 rushing yds (including dazzling TD runs of 85 and 51 yards)

I think he won the award last night, provided he doesn't falter in his last two games.
Too bad the game wasn't on national TV.
Also too bad is how LSU has basically squandered their opportunity with this guy because of an historically horrible defense.

It's been a thrill to watch him play this season.

Geaux Tigers
Old 11-12-2023, 08:11 AM   #2
Inner Dirt

I wonder if when they consider who they vote for the Heisman, quarterbacks get the scrutiny the running backs do. Most Heisman winning running backs have successful NFL careers baring injury. The same cannot be said about quarterbacks, there have been quite a few flat out busts. I watched highlights of Jayden's record game, he had some nice runs, but a lot of it was
through good sized holes. He also was either throwing to a first read that quickly got college open or progressing to the second, third, forth read when he had all day to throw. That was the first time I looked him up, will have to see what he looks like facing a respectable defense, of which admittingly in college seems to be lacking these days.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I wonder if when they consider who they vote for the Heisman, quarterbacks get the scrutiny the running backs do. Most Heisman winning running backs have successful NFL careers baring injury. The same cannot be said about quarterbacks, there have been quite a few flat out busts. I watched highlights of Jayden's record game, he had some nice runs, but a lot of it was
through good sized holes. He also was either throwing to a first read that quickly got college open or progressing to the second, third, forth read when he had all day to throw. That was the first time I looked him up, will have to see what he looks like facing a respectable defense, of which admittingly in college seems to be lacking these days.
You have no idea what you're looking at.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:55 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
You have no idea what you're looking at.

I saw one games highlights against a very bad defense, I know exactly what I saw. You need to check your hatred of people due to their political beliefs at the door on sports subjects. I expected an asinine response, you did not disappoint. Of course instead of explaining why I am wrong you just hurl an insult, typical of a dumbass that can't make a solid argument. Florida gave up an average of 477 yards a game in the previous 3 contests before playing LSU, their defense sucks. I have a feeling you don't watch a QB go through his reads, notice how long he has to throw, or how open his receivers are, and when he takes off the blocking he gates.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:18 PM   #5
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
I saw one games highlights against a very bad defense, I know exactly what I saw. You need to check your hatred of people due to their political beliefs at the door on sports subjects. I expected an asinine response, you did not disappoint. Of course instead of explaining why I am wrong you just hurl an insult, typical of a dumbass that can't make a solid argument. Florida gave up an average of 477 yards a game in the previous 3 contests before playing LSU, their defense sucks. I have a feeling you don't watch a QB go through his reads, notice how long he has to throw, or how open his receivers are, and when he takes off the blocking he gates.

I didn't insult you - I said you have no idea what you were watching.
Then (as usual), you lost your shit, insulted me, and got political (because you can't help yourself).

Simmer down son.

Daniels is the best QB in college (maybe Penix from Washington is his equal).
Look up his stats and get back to me, k?
Old 11-12-2023, 08:36 PM   #6
Bustin Stones

It was a record shattering performance against a power 5 team. At the very least it earned him a ticket to NY.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2023, 09:01 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
It was a record shattering performance against a power 5 team. At the very least it earned him a ticket to NY.

A power 5 team with a horrid defense. USC and Colorado are in a power 5 conference and are both in the bottom 10 in yards allowed.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 11-12-2023 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:12 PM   #8
Bustin Stones

Consider how many horrid defenses have played in the history of FBS. Nobody did what he did against any of them. But, we agree, it wasn't against Iowa.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:31 PM   #9
newtothegame

Florida St 22 37 346 1 1
Miss St 30 34 361. 2 TD
Arkansas 20 29 320 4 1 int
Ole Miss 27 36 414 4
Missouri 15 21 259 3
Auburn 20 27 325 3 1
Bama (Did not finish injury) 15 24 219 2 1
Florida 17 26 372 3

Rushing totals 114 Att 918 yds 8.1 avg 8 TD

3rd in passing yds in the country
4th in comp %
1st in rating at 202.1
2nd in avg 11.6 yds
And, to make it even more impressive, 27th in RUSHING (highest QB by far).

Sorry guys but unless you live in the SEC and watch this young man play, you truly have no idea how special he is.

I left out the "cupcake" games such as Grambling and Army so as not to inflate his passing numbers too much. Thats SEC! And in some of those games, he was pulled late once LSU had the game well in hand.

Definitely one of the front runners for Heisman.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.

Last edited by newtothegame; 11-12-2023 at 11:36 PM.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2023, 09:30 AM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Florida St 22 37 346 1 1
Miss St 30 34 361. 2 TD
Arkansas 20 29 320 4 1 int
Ole Miss 27 36 414 4
Missouri 15 21 259 3
Auburn 20 27 325 3 1
Bama (Did not finish injury) 15 24 219 2 1
Florida 17 26 372 3

Rushing totals 114 Att 918 yds 8.1 avg 8 TD

3rd in passing yds in the country
4th in comp %
1st in rating at 202.1
2nd in avg 11.6 yds
And, to make it even more impressive, 27th in RUSHING (highest QB by far).

Sorry guys but unless you live in the SEC and watch this young man play, you truly have no idea how special he is.

I left out the "cupcake" games such as Grambling and Army so as not to inflate his passing numbers too much. Thats SEC! And in some of those games, he was pulled late once LSU had the game well in hand.

Definitely one of the front runners for Heisman.
This ^^^

Nix & Penix deserve consideration, but Daniels is the solid choice IMO.

This offense rivals the 2019 LSU championship team with future NFL stars Burrow, Jefferson and Chase.
It's a shame that our D is so disgustingly bad and we've kind of wasted a championship caliber QB.
Old 11-13-2023, 01:41 PM   #11
Bustin Stones

So, what you're saying is that football is a team sport. All those individual awards and on field individual celebrations are beside the point. Even the best qb in college cannot win a championship without the rest of the team. Arguing about the Heisman therefore seems lame.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:45 PM   #12
woodbinepmi

Heisman Trophy Favorites: Odds To Win, 2023

Bo Nix Oregon +100
Michael Penix Jr. Washington +275
Jayden Daniels LSU +400
Marvin Harrison Jr. Ohio State +450
Carson Beck Georgia +3000
Jordan Travis Florida State +4000
Jalen Milroe Alabama +5000
Old 11-14-2023, 09:25 AM   #13
46zilzal
velocitician

Bo Nix and Pennix look really goo
Old 11-14-2023, 12:38 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
Consider how many horrid defenses have played in the history of FBS. Nobody did what he did against any of them. But, we agree, it wasn't against Iowa.

Michigan vs Penn St game last Saturday had some decent defense, Michigan won 24-15, they are #1 and #2 in yards allowed. I am just shocked at all the poor tackling techniques I see. It seems you don't see a lot of text book tackling any more and it leads to a lot of yards after contact. It is one thing to get mowed by the second coming of Earl Campbell but to have a guy bounce off and keep running because you did not wrap him up is another thing. I see a lot of defensive backs that think they can just bump a guy out of bounds, and watch the guy stay in bounds and he is off to the races down the sideline.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:48 PM   #15
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Michigan vs Penn St game last Saturday had some decent defense, Michigan won 24-15, they are #1 and #2 in yards allowed. I am just shocked at all the poor tackling techniques I see. It seems you don't see a lot of text book tackling any more and it leads to a lot of yards after contact. It is one thing to get mowed by the second coming of Earl Campbell but to have a guy bounce off and keep running because you did not wrap him up is another thing. I see a lot of defensive backs that think they can just bump a guy out of bounds, and watch the guy stay in bounds and he is off to the races down the sideline.
That was like watching a game from 1976.