Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-14-2023, 01:05 PM   #16
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
That was like watching a game from 1976.

That is what I prefer to watch, without looking it up it appears college football scores have went up a lot more than the pros have from the rule changes and their implantation that started in the mid 70's. I know they can't practice as much, the old summer two a days are long gone, coaching methods have changed, I don't think the Woody Hayes methods would be well received these days. Plenty of times a kid does something glaringly stupid, like hits someone 3 yards out of bounds that extends a drive, and I watch to see if he gets an ass chewing when he comes off the field and not a dam thing happens.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 01:08 PM   #17
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

When you get down to it, the game is pretty simple.

Block and Tackle - everything else is a function of that.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:05 PM   #18
Bustin Stones

They're teaching a very different tackling technique today. What you see is the first man standing the ball carrier up and the second man punching at the ball. Unsuccessful jabs at the ball account for plenty of yardage after contact. In 1976, they were simply told to tackle the carrier. I'm not saying they're wrong. Turnover ratio accounts for a lot of game outcome. Also, yardage after contact has changed because they're trying to tackle to injure. They're focusing on neck, head and knees now. Anyone tells you bounty hunting is dead is lying.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2023, 06:03 PM   #19
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
They're teaching a very different tackling technique today. What you see is the first man standing the ball carrier up and the second man punching at the ball. Unsuccessful jabs at the ball account for plenty of yardage after contact. In 1976, they were simply told to tackle the carrier. I'm not saying they're wrong. Turnover ratio accounts for a lot of game outcome. Also, yardage after contact has changed because they're trying to tackle to injure. They're focusing on neck, head and knees now. Anyone tells you bounty hunting is dead is lying.

Most of what I call technique failures are on solo tackles.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:01 PM   #20
46zilzal
velocitician

Washington QB
Old 11-16-2023, 01:32 AM   #21
Dahoss2002

Jayden deserves it!!!
Dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2023, 11:41 AM   #22
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Washington QB
No disrespect to Pinex (Washington) but let's look at their numbers side by side.....

Comp %
Penix 68%
Daniels 71.4%

avg Yds per:
Penix 9.7
Daniels 11.6

Td's
Penix 28
Daniels 30

Int
Penix 7
Daniels 4

Rating
Penix 170.5
Daniels 202.1

And lets not even talk about against AP TOP 25 opponents...Its not even close!!!
Rushing?? Not even close.....

And lastly, I would add the pac 12 is NOT the SEC! Lets not get that twisted!!

So please, tell us how Pinex is better then Daniels???
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2023, 12:07 PM   #23
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
No disrespect to Pinex (Washington) but let's look at their numbers side by side.....

Comp %
Penix 68%
Daniels 71.4%

avg Yds per:
Penix 9.7
Daniels 11.6

Td's
Penix 28
Daniels 30

Int
Penix 7
Daniels 4

Rating
Penix 170.5
Daniels 202.1

And lets not even talk about against AP TOP 25 opponents...Its not even close!!!
Rushing?? Not even close.....

And lastly, I would add the pac 12 is NOT the SEC! Lets not get that twisted!!

So please, tell us how Pinex is better then Daniels???

Who cares about AP top 25, it is the defenses they face that matters.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:20 PM   #24
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Who cares about AP top 25, it is the defenses they face that matters.
so you really think the pac 12 has better defenses then the sec?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2023, 01:55 PM   #25
Inner Dirt

Quote:

I never said that, my eyes tell me the Big 10 plays the best defense, you have Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Iowa. I will start paying more attention to the Heisman race. I wish this was the year the 12 team play-offs start. I just look at things differently, I suppose and my only scouting skill is predicting which high picked college QBs will fail in the NFL. I just went to ESPN and looked up the current Heisman contenders all the "Heisman worthy moment" videos on all 5 QBs were all one read throws. The impressive parts

were 2 rusher escapes and 3 tight window throws.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #26
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Michigan vs Penn St game last Saturday had some decent defense, Michigan won 24-15, they are #1 and #2 in yards allowed. I am just shocked at all the poor tackling techniques I see. It seems you don't see a lot of text book tackling any more and it leads to a lot of yards after contact. It is one thing to get mowed by the second coming of Earl Campbell but to have a guy bounce off and keep running because you did not wrap him up is another thing. I see a lot of defensive backs that think they can just bump a guy out of bounds, and watch the guy stay in bounds and he is off to the races down the sideline.
100% true. Tackling in this era is horrible.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2023, 02:28 PM   #27
ElKabong

Quote:
This is the first time in a very long time that this is the case. The sec west is pretty bad right now, don't you think? Washington, Utah, Oregon have very stout Ds. The one game I saw of Oregon state, they looked pretty good too but I haven't seen much of them to speak of

Even Alabama seems down. Texas beat them in Tuscaloosa and Texas is very over rated. Texas not only beat bama, they physically dominated the 4th qtr. Other than byu. I don't recall Texas doing that 4th qtr domination routine vs any big12 team. Houston, tcu, Kansas state, ou, all had their way with Texas in the 4th.

But not Alabama. The sec is down this season compared tp normal, pretty obvious
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 11-16-2023 at 02:30 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2023, 03:05 PM   #28
Bustin Stones

Nix, Penix and Daniels are all very good at this level. I dare anyone to correctly predict which one(s) succeeds in the NFL. The problem isn't that they play different teams, it's that there's only one Heisman given each year.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2023, 03:08 PM   #29
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
100% true. Tackling in this era is horrible.

I always wonder what are the factors that create this issue? I don't think you can blame much if any on rule changes. Taking away the horse collar tackle has an effect but everything else? Spearing, clotheslining, leading with the helmet, removing those don't make it harder to tackle. I know they eliminated a lot of contact drills and there are no more summer two a days. Being some one who believes in the old school negative reinforcement coaching style, maybe removing that has an effect. In HS bonehead mistakes during games earned laps and wind sprints, to throw in peer pressure, we all ran them together. So if someone got a dumb roughing the passer penalty we all took a lap. Only the mental and technical errors drew punishment.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:11 PM   #30
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
Nix, Penix and Daniels are all very good at this level. I dare anyone to correctly predict which one(s) succeeds in the NFL. The problem isn't that they play different teams, it's that there's only one Heisman given each year.

I am game if I can see enough evidence to file a case, I have no paid subscriptions, only broadcast TV and whatever I can get off You Tube.
Have you already tossed Caleb Williams and why?