Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 08-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #31
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I really hate seeing stuff like this. What a jerk. Professionals don't publish stuff like this.

2019 Travers Field and Odds all the horses are listed correctly with PP and such.

But he replaced Laughing Fox in the lineup as "Laughing Stock"?

This wasn't part of the opinion piece. He actaully REPLACED the name of a horse in the actual field list.

I've actually never seen anyone do this. Ever. So disrespectful to the field, to the lineup, to the horse, the owners and the trainer.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaygins.../#4914a2485d3b

And hey, Jay Ginsbach , you picked the wrong horse to win.

I think it is likely an honest mistake. Hell, he misspelled Laughing as Laghing. He only listed him in the entries and never talked about him in the entire rest of the article.

Either way, if you are reading Forbes for horse selections you probably deserve what you get.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #32
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Game Winner and Global Campaign not in this so I lost interest.
Too bad because you were spot about CoH. Good to see him get the win. Shug is a guy I can always root for and CoH is growing on me in his last couple. Hope he goes to the JCGC next.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
classhandicapper

I hated the ride on Tacitus. He was asked early to take the lead. Then he was used again to take on a high quality horse like Mucho Gusto pretty much the whole way on a track tilted more to outside closers.

Yesterday was finally the day to rate outside & make a late move and they did the opposite.

I'm not going to say he was clearly best yesterday, but I can't agree with anyone that says Code of Honor was clearly best yesterday either.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #34
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I hated the ride on Tacitus. He was asked early to take the lead. Then he was used again to take on a high quality horse like Mucho Gusto pretty much the whole way on a track tilted more to outside closers.

Yesterday was finally the day to rate outside & make a late move and they did the opposite.

I'm not going to say he was clearly best yesterday, but I can't agree with anyone that says Code of Honor was clearly best yesterday either.
Does that mean Much Gusto gets an excuse being the outside speed horse trying to better the great Tacitus?

He even got banged late and in-between, but Tacitus had the tougher trip?

When do the excuses stop for Tacitus?
Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #35
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Does that mean Much Gusto gets an excuse being the outside speed horse trying to better the great Tacitus?

He even got banged late and in-between, but Tacitus had the tougher trip?

When do the excuses stop for Tacitus?
I suspect that had Ortiz rated Tacitus and taken him outside like everyone expected, it's possible that Much Gusto would have wired or Tax would have taken up the stalking role outside him to keep him honest. He certainly would have been closer at the finish also if Tacitus didn't pester him the whole way.

However, I think I would WAY rather have been outside in Mucho Gusto's position than inside where Tacitus was. The inside was not ideal yesterday. I still have to review the entire card, but I already know you didn't want to be inside speed.

Tacitus didn't spend a lot of time right on the rail. He was kind of just off it early and into the first turn, wider on the backstretch, and then 2 wide on the second turn. But to me, you never know exactly where the best/worst paths begin or end. Mucho Gusto had the better spot. Tacitus would have been better off rating outside.

My appraisal of Tacitus goes like this.

He's had a quite a few poor trips that probably cost him a win here or there. But REALLY good horses overcome some of the subtle and not so subtle disadvantages and win anyway. When horses are very similar, these kinds of things separate them. I think he's a very good horse that's better than his record, but he's nothing special. If things don't go his way he'll get beat by these other horses because they are all fairly close.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #36
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
I suspect that had Ortiz rated Tacitus and taken him outside like everyone expected, it's possible that Much Gusto would have wired or Tax would have taken up the stalking role outside him to keep him honest. He certainly would have been closer at the finish also if Tacitus didn't pester him the whole way.

However, I think I would WAY rather have been outside in Mucho Gusto's position than inside where Tacitus was. The inside was not ideal yesterday. I still have to review the entire card, but I already know you didn't want to be inside speed.

Tacitus didn't spend a lot of time right on the rail. He was kind of just off it early and into the first turn, wider on the backstretch, and then 2 wide on the second turn. But to me, you never know exactly where the best/worst paths begin or end. Mucho Gusto had the better spot. Tacitus would have been better off rating outside.

My appraisal of Tacitus goes like this.

He's had a quite a few poor trips that probably cost him a win here or there. But REALLY good horses overcome some of the subtle and not so subtle disadvantages and win anyway. When horses are very similar, these kinds of things separate them. I think he's a very good horse that's better than his record, but he's nothing special. If things don't go his way he'll get beat by these other horses because they are all fairly close.
OK. I'm fair with that.

But how in Hades did Mucho Gusto get a better trip than Tacitus as he was always outside running as hard as Tacitus throughout?

I think they both ran the shit out of themselves and set it up for Code Of Honor. Happens.

It was a great race. The 3 biggies ran great. All 3 deserve kudos for their effort, and I'm really not sure who was the best after all is said and done.

What I'm gonna take out of that race is 3 horses separated themselves from the others. 3 legit BC Classic contenders.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 08-25-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Did Ortiz take him out there of did Tacitus take them there?
I thought the horse was mro ein control all the way.
I'm no visual expert, but he looked more like he was calling the shots than the rider was.

Bet the blinkers come off next time.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #38
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Owendale was my selection but Geroux kept him inside and he went up & down in the lane. Meanwhile, Johnny V takes Code Of Honor from the two hole and gets as far away from the rail as possible in the stretch & motors by for the win. Owendale is better than he showed...usually a strong finisher; he was spinning his wheels in the last 1/4
Old 08-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #39
classhandicapper

Quote:
But how in Hades did Mucho Gusto get a better trip than Tacitus as he was always outside running as hard as Tacitus throughout?

I think they both ran the shit out of themselves and set it up for Code Of Honor. Happens.

If you think the inside path(es?) weren't as good as the outside then depending on how much time you think Tacitus spent on an inferior path you could come to the conclusion that had you reverse the trips he would have beaten MG by more. (that's more of a question than an answer)

It's not the kind of thing I think you can know 100%.

I feel comfortable saying inside speed was at a disadvantage yesterday relative to the typical day, but I can't tell whether it was just right on the rail that was a problem for speed or a little further out too. Tacitus was just off the rail 1st turn and then mostly in the 2 path or wider the rest of the way. Being so close to the rail on the 1st turn probably did not help his cause.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #40
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Did Ortiz take him out there of did Tacitus take them there?
I thought the horse was mro ein control all the way.
I'm no visual expert, but he looked more like he was calling the shots than the rider was.

Bet the blinkers come off next time.
Right out of the gate Ortiz urged. He may have just been trying to get a more forward position than the horse usually gets. But the horse went to the lead.

I think B's come off also.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #41
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
What I'm gonna take out of that race is 3 horses separated themselves from the others. 3 legit BC Classic contenders.
Couldn't disagree more....No one in this entire field of the Travers will win the BC Classic....None.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #42
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Couldn't disagree more....No one in this entire field of the Travers will win the BC Classic....None.

What odds will you give me?'

They all stink, right, so how about 1,000/1?

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 08-25-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #43
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
What odds will you give me?'

They all stink, right, so how about 1,000/1?
You should be giving me odds, with all the contenders from the Travers you claim there are...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #44
Fightingirish51195

Inside was definitely bad yesterday
Old 08-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #45
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:

I disagree. Code Of Honor has proven to be better than these horses. For all the hype you read about all these others...... he has beaten them all. Saturday was easy pickings for me. I waited a few weeks knowing I loved that horse. You got people hyping Tacitus, Game Winner, Mucho and this horse has beaten them all. A couple of them multiple times. People were acting like the derby was a fluke. Well, there is one constant right now the two best records and races for the 3 yo go through Maximum Security and Code Of Honor. All the excuses are just that. I always say people make it harder than it really is. At 10.80 it doesn’t get much easier. That wasn’t even close, there is daylight between this horse and the others as Johnny literally laughs to the wire. What races are people watching? It’s clear cut who the best 2 to 5 horses are. But there are two that have more at the end when it counts. Until that changes you bet accordingly if the freaking horse is going to be 4-1, how is that so hard to get?

Last edited by burnsy; 08-26-2019 at 07:46 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply