Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-15-2024, 01:56 AM   #16
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
You talking section 8 housing apartment building? I've thought about it but I don't need that headache at 60. Many of my employees are section 8 and I wouldn't want to be their landlord. The numbers probably look real nice but the reality probably is that it's a real pain in the ass.

The first neighborhood I lived in Riverside had a section 8 house, it stood out like a sore thumb. I don't get why most poor people live like pigs. Soap is cheap and trash bags are cheap. Most poor people are a victim of themselves. I would not want a section 8 rental if it was given to me.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2024, 02:04 AM   #17
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Nope. I wouldn’t do Sec 8. I’m talking 4-10 units.

Texas is crazy though. Ever since the Permian basis gold/oil strike you rarely get the mineral rights when you buy a property.

Everybody thinks they will someday find oil under their property and mailbox money will be coming………
My brother has a 4-plex. When his in-laws were alive they were in construction. When building starts got low, they would build one for themselves. Maybe have someone build one close to you and your business for you?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2024, 02:06 AM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
My brother has a 4-plex. When his in-laws were alive they were in construction. When building starts got low, they would build one for themselves. Maybe have someone build one close to you and your business for you?
I actually have looked into that….got a quote of $135 a sq foot minus appliances and windows……….

A little steep….but I’m still looking
Old 04-15-2024, 09:43 AM   #19
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I actually have looked into that….got a quote of $135 a sq foot minus appliances and windows……….

A little steep….but I’m still looking

Is there a garage in that price quote at $135? With the cost of construction supplies especially wood well off their peaks but still almost double what they were pre-Biden, $135 doesn't sound that bad. Since I am doing the world's slowest home rehab I am well aware of the sky high cost of construction supplies. I hope you are doing your part to save the planet from man made climate change and getting quotes for all electric. I wonder how much that would drive up the price over natural gas, for water heat heating, cooking and central heat? I bet it would be quite a bit more especially in many areas you can use Pex for indoor natural gas plumbing. With all electric even for a small unit you are going to want a 200 amp service.

About the only construction supply that did not go crazy that I saw were drywall and their finishing supplies. Even sand and gravel are way up, the guy who hauled the gravel for the driveway and a load of sand to lay in a trench for a well run said the crap had doubled in recent years. So that means concrete won't be cheap either.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:00 PM   #20
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Is there a garage in that price quote at $135? With the cost of construction supplies especially wood well off their peaks but still almost double what they were pre-Biden, $135 doesn't sound that bad. Since I am doing the world's slowest home rehab I am well aware of the sky high cost of construction supplies. I hope you are doing your part to save the planet from man made climate change and getting quotes for all electric. I wonder how much that would drive up the price over natural gas, for water heat heating, cooking and central heat? I bet it would be quite a bit more especially in many areas you can use Pex for indoor natural gas plumbing. With all electric even for a small unit you are going to want a 200 amp service.

About the only construction supply that did not go crazy that I saw were drywall and their finishing supplies. Even sand and gravel are way up, the guy who hauled the gravel for the driveway and a load of sand to lay in a trench for a well run said the crap had doubled in recent years. So that means concrete won't be cheap either.
i was buying boxes of red cedar shingles primed on both sides for $125 a box 10 years ago. today they want $500 a box and you have to buy a minimum of $5000 worth. i am going to buy the unprimed and prime it myself.

Benny Moore or California paint is now $325 for a 5 gallon bucket. it used to be $190. i am told that you can buy the Wallmart house brand and that is the same as Benjamin Moore for $51 per gallon.

if i keep losing all these horse race bets i will never afford anything!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2024, 01:22 PM   #21
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i was buying boxes of red cedar shingles primed on both sides for $125 a box 10 years ago. today they want $500 a box and you have to buy a minimum of $5000 worth. i am going to buy the unprimed and prime it myself.

Benny Moore or California paint is now $325 for a 5 gallon bucket. it used to be $190. i am told that you can buy the Wallmart house brand and that is the same as Benjamin Moore for $51 per gallon.

Pre discount Sherwin Williams paint (upper medium price point) is now $75/gallon. They are having a 40% off sale this Friday. Some of their high end paint is over $100/gallon.

I priced it by the gallon or by the 5 gallon bucket, and they give you a $1/gallon discount on a bucket.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2024, 01:25 PM   #22
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Pre discount Sherwin Williams paint (upper medium price point) is now $75/gallon. They are having a 40% off sale this Friday. Some of their high end paint is over $100/gallon.

I priced it by the gallon or by the 5 gallon bucket, and they give you a $1/gallon discount on a bucket.
i am not a Sherwin Williams fan @ $45 per gallon painting the outside of a house.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:40 PM   #23
proximity

your average paceman that posts with any regularity is probably in their early-mid 60s and a millionaire (+) more due to time in the market than timing the market. they are damn good people 2-3 standard deviations above the mean, generally in that 98-99+ percentile. I admit it is interesting to study and listen to "the best of the best" but I still believe that in ten years, no matter who wins this election or the next or the next....that your average paceman will be in his early to mid 70s and still a multi millionaire with a great life.....
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2024, 12:27 AM   #24
Inner Dirt

Quote:

I am on two hours sleep and at 63 can not do that any more and still be coherent. Have you tried the Behr paint at Home Depot? It seemed to cover ok, but honestly I sold the house not much more than a couple years after painting it 20 years ago. I just looked it up $40 a gallon for premium exterior and interior primer + paint, that is 5 gallon containers. The last roof I wood shingled I was helping my dad when I was 7 do my grandma's house.

So I know nothing about them, what do you prime cedar shingles with and how far does a $500 box cover? I will eventually have to paint and I gave away my sprayer. That was a mistake, had a falling out with a friend who we had either others stuff what I had stored of his I found out later was mostly junk when I said keep each others crap. I did not know he had my $750 airless sprayer. That was $750 25 years ago. Since I have a machine shop I can keep everything in great shape.

That was fun to paint that house with that sprayer inside. Since I was going to replace all flooring, counter tops, sinks, showers, and windows I did not mask a damn thing off. Fastest whole house paint job I ever did. I even got lucky and one of the 5 gallon Behr pails was thick as drywall mud.
It was like getting 15-20 gallons of paint after I cut it with water.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:29 AM   #25
lamboguy

i live in the northeast and to paint with Behr just doesn't cut the mustard for outdoor painting. the house next door to me used the Home Depot paint 5 years ago. in the winter, the gutters sometimes freeze and the water drips down and forces icicles on the side of the house. sometimes the shingles crack and you need to replace them.

the boxes that i used to buy were 25 foot squared and come from Canada. i think that most of the price increase was from the tariffs that were put on their wood a few years ago.

also i think Lowe's has their own paint that is pretty good. as good as Benjamin Moore and California paint are, sometimes you need to use 2 coats to do a good job because the paint is thin especially for their indoor paint. i have been using Behr and a coat of primer first for some of the interior work in my house and have no problem with it so far. the premier paint has a primer in it. also in case you are painting outdoor steps, you are better off using an oil base paint, latex will chip and wear to fast no matter what brand you use.

generally speaking, the quality of most things you buy at Home Depot is not as good as independent places like plumbing supply houses and electrical. but they do get better sometimes like they got rid of General Electric hot water heaters and now carry Breen. they carry some decent windows now too, i think that brand is Jeld-Wen. i think those windows are much better than Anderson's.

i like buying appliances at Costco even though they charge more than the other places because they give a longer warranty and they are easier to deal with when you have to return things, none of these new appliances last that long these days due to all the digital bullshit. the Costco stuff seems to last longer than Best Buy or Home Depot, but that might just be my imagination.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:26 AM   #26
Inner Dirt

Quote:
i live in the northeast and to paint with Behr just doesn't cut the mustard for outdoor painting. the house next door to me used the Home Depot paint 5 years ago. in the winter, the gutters sometimes freeze and the water drips down and forces icicles on the side of the house. sometimes the shingles crack and you need to replace them.

the boxes that i used to buy were 25 foot squared and come from Canada. i think that most of the price increase was from the tariffs that were put on their wood a few years ago.

also i think Lowe's has their own paint that is pretty good. as good as Benjamin Moore and California paint are, sometimes you need to use 2 coats to do a good job because the paint is thin especially for their indoor paint. i have been using Behr and a coat of primer first for some of the interior work in my house and have no problem with it so far. the premier paint has a primer in it. also in case you are painting outdoor steps, you are better off using an oil base paint, latex will chip and wear to fast no matter what brand you use.

generally speaking, the quality of most things you buy at Home Depot is not as good as independent places like plumbing supply houses and electrical. but they do get better sometimes like they got rid of General Electric hot water heaters and now carry Breen. they carry some decent windows now too, i think that brand is Jeld-Wen. i think those windows are much better than Anderson's.

i like buying appliances at Costco even though they charge more than the other places because they give a longer warranty and they are easier to deal with when you have to return things, none of these new appliances last that long these days due to all the digital bullshit. the Costco stuff seems to last longer than Best Buy or Home Depot, but that might just be my imagination.

Did you mean 25 square feet? 25 feet squared is 625. 25 seems like way too little for $500 but 625 seems like a bargain. As for electrical and plumbing it depends on what you buy. Quality service entrances can be had along with breakers at HD and Lowe's along with wire and conduit.
On the other hand the plugs, receptacles and switches are better bought elsewhere.

When I wired my current shop I had to shop at multiple locations, electric supply house, Mc Master Carr and the rest at HD and Lowe's. I had a full basket in the electric aisle at Lowe's and as I was making my way to the cashier I overheard the Lowe's employee giving a customer bad advice.
I forgot on what, but I waited for the employee to leave and gave the guy the correct advice, I said I was not an electrician by trade but I know as much as any of them and a lot of the HD & Lowe's aisle guys should not be giving advice. Before I could move my cart another guy asked for help, I helped him select all needed items, then another and another person asked for help. I think I spent an extra hour there.

For some reason people seem to want to give wiring advice that should not. I see You Tube videos that should be titled. "How to shock yourself." Some appear to even be done on purpose. I always tell people when it comes to wiring, ask me, hire a licensed electrician, or buy a do it yourself book at Home Depot. DO NOT RELY ON YOU TUBE VIDEOS.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:28 AM   #27
lamboguy

if you go to Home Depot and buy a Siemons valve or other brands or faucets, often times you are buying goods that have plastic in the inside. you go to a plumbing supply house you don't get plastic, but you pay more. same thing with Romex, there are different grades of the stuff
Old 04-16-2024, 12:46 PM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
if you go to Home Depot and buy a Siemons valve or other brands or faucets, often times you are buying goods that have plastic in the inside. you go to a plumbing supply house you don't get plastic, but you pay more. same thing with Romex, there are different grades of the stuff

I haven't bought plumbing fixtures yet, I am probably 75% re-piped, including the well run. I bounced between Lowes and HD. The Apollo brand 1/4 turn valves I bought are USA made and are all metal, no plastic. I probably have put in 10 of them so far. The Chinese shit is to be avoided, I have a machine shop and have always done my own shop, home installations and repairs including helping friends and family.

I am well aware of what a high quality product looks like and their value.
What pisses me off is when I cannot get quality. I cannot find a fan motor of quality to put in the shop attic fan, just Chinese garbage. They are lucky to last two years, the fan is currently out of commission. I no longer belong on roofs. I can change the motor by just going up an 8 foot ladder and standing in a loft I built, inside the shop.

As for electrical cable commonly known by the brand name Romex. I never use the higher grade stuff for direct burial, my battered hands hate stripping that stuff, I use the indoor inside of gray PVC straight run only connected on each end. I also use a sand cushion in the trenches, 6-12" top and bottom.

Believe it or not the last idiot that worked on the well here before me did a direct burial of indoor Romex and wire nutted 4 sections together. The shop built in 2020 is nice, the 10 wooded acres with a creek running through it and a river 1/2 mile away are great. The house built in 1981 is a pile of shit with not much good about it.

I force myself to do jobs I hate and am slow at due to father time kicking my 63 year old ass. The reason being I figure the decedents of the people who built this house now work the local construction trades. There are plenty of people my age and up that lived their whole lives here.