Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 12-16-2023, 07:03 PM   #1
bigeastbeast

I should have played them.

I'm trying out a new angle on paper.
However,I should have utilized the green paper tonight.

My picks won both races in the first DD at the Big M.The horses paid $50.40 and 29.00 respectively for a double playoff of $1400!!!!!

In January,I'll check further on the available tracks,the smaller number of them should make it easier to track.

The angle involves horses going wide for at least one call,then losing a running position or more,then gaining at least 2 spots to the finish.

The smug track selectors claim that the horses are just passing tired horses.
My take is that the horse I'm looking at was not tired.

Whom do you think is correct?
bigeastbeast is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 12:20 AM   #2
Bogo

I always check out the replay of horses that gained positions but lost lengths in the stretch to see how wide they were. People dismiss them because of the lost lengths but the fact that they gained positions on horses who had easier trips makes me look. Good luck with your angle.
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2023, 05:47 AM   #3
lamboguy

i'd say its a good way to go. congratulations on that huge double. i don't remember the last time i came up with something like that.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2023, 10:06 PM   #4
jefftune

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbeast View Post

My picks won both races in the first DD at the Big M.The horses paid $50.40 and 29.00 respectively for a double playoff of $1400!!!!!

In January,I'll check further on the available tracks,the smaller number of them should make it easier to track.

The angle involves horses going wide for at least one call,then losing a running position or more,then gaining at least 2 spots to the finish.

Well, "going wide" first over is a tough trip, while going wide second over is an ideal trip. Big difference. A horse that goes first over always deserves a look next out even if they lost ground. If I'm handicapping a race and unsure about the trip I'll look at the chart or better yet watch the replay.
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2023, 07:10 AM   #5
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbeast View Post

I've always liked to follow horses that went three or four wide and made up ground. But in today's harness racing, no one goes four wide, and it's very tough to go three wide on the final turn because the horses that are racing off the pace are farther back (longer bikes, lean back), most tracks are inside speed favoring, plus the races are faster. Faster times mean that many horses that are trying to close simply don't have enough time unless there's a wickedly fast pace. A good example would be 3yo champion Confederate. He finished 2nd in the North American Cup earlier in the year, rallying from 8th to miss by a nose. He paced his last half in :52.1. He was the best horse in the race but it was a simple case of mathematics because it's virtually impossible for a 3yo to finish faster than :52.1, especially going three wide. After that, he only lost one more race the rest of the year, his last start against older horses.

Anyway, your angle makes a lot of sense because it's tougher than ever to race wide and gain ground. Good luck!
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply