Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-13-2023, 02:04 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Echo Zulu OUT of BC

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sorry to hear.
Big loss.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:30 PM   #3
wisconsin

Bummer

Liked rooting for her, even if unbettable.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:21 AM   #4
classhandicapper

The sprint division had a tough year. At least it sounds like she’s going to be OK.
Old 10-14-2023, 04:40 PM   #5
barbaro123

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The sprint division had a tough year. At least it sounds like she’s going to be OK.

Her injury is life threatening. she apparently had surgery this morning and I am looking all over the internet trying to get information on how the surgery went- I love her and pray she came thru the surgery ok and that she recovers.
barbaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2023, 10:48 AM   #6
Sysonby

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaro123 View Post
Her injury is life threatening. she apparently had surgery this morning and I am looking all over the internet trying to get information on how the surgery went- I love her and pray she came thru the surgery ok and that she recovers.
Surgery went well, hopefully recovery will go well also with no laminitis.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2023, 12:56 PM   #7
Ruffian1

Echo Zulu Update.

From what I have read:

She made it out of surgery and stood up. Two big steps. Now comes the waiting.

For the next 6+/- weeks, she will be susceptible to foundering, which is deadly if not stopped. And that can start to occur at literally any moment during that span.

It turned out she broke both sesamoids in one ankle. There are two in each ankle. They are like bone triangles with the point up to help get a visual.

Both were broken horizontally across the base, probably about an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch high across. That is somewhat typical of base fractures.

But foundering, which is a bodily reaction to the trauma, be it from high fever, catastrophic injury or a host of other things, cannot be cured and there is very little that can be done to stop it. High fever could set it off. Rejection of something within the body and honestly, too many other ways to try and explain.
And sometimes there is no explanation.

What happens is the coffin bone which is below those sesamoids will start to rotate and work downward to the hoof and on to the sole of the hoof. If that happens and cannot be stopped, they would be forced to put her down do to the excruciating pain and the zero chance of being able to stand in the future without high pain.

Sorry for the descriptive news but that is the reality of this situation. So no news will be really good news for a month or two. If she can get that far, and she has a very decent chance IMO to do so, she should start being out of danger.

She can make a full recovery as far as a broodmare is concerned. She can walk without a limp and have a happy career as a broodmare. But she is not there yet.

There are so many things that can go wrong and only one thing that seemingly can go right. But she does have a better than 50-50 chance. Probably more like 75-25% chance or even a little better IMO.
I wish her the best.
Hope that helps better understand what is seemingly going on although again, all I have done is read about it.

Last edited by Ruffian1; 10-15-2023 at 12:59 PM.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2023, 01:12 PM   #8
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
Echo Zulu Update.

From what I have read:

For the next 6+/- weeks, she will be susceptible to foundering, which is deadly if not stopped. And that can start to occur at literally any moment during that span.

It turned out she broke both sesamoids in one ankle. There are two in each ankle. They are like bone triangles with the point up to help get a visual.

Both were broken horizontally across the base, probably about an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch high across. That is somewhat typical of base fractures.

But foundering, which is a bodily reaction to the trauma, be it from high fever, catastrophic injury or a host of other things, cannot be cured and there is very little that can be done to stop it. High fever could set it off. Rejection of something within the body and honestly, too many other ways to try and explain.

What happens is the coffin bone which is below those sesamoids will start to rotate and work downward to the hoof and on to the sole of the hoof. If that happens and cannot be stopped, they would be forced to put her down do to the excruciating pain and the zero chance of being able to stand in the future without high pain.

Sorry for the descriptive news but that is the reality of this situation. So no news will be really good news for a month or two. If she can get that far, and she has a very decent chance IMO to do so, she should start being out of danger.

She can make a full recovery as far as a broodmare is concerned. She can walk without a limp and have a happy career as a broodmare. But she is not there yet.

There are so many things that can go wrong and only one thing that seemingly can go right. But she does have a better than 50-50 chance. Probably more like 75-25% chance or even a little better IMO.
I wish her the best.
Hope that helps better understand what is seemingly going on although again, all I have done is read about it.
Incredible update.

Thank you.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2023, 04:30 PM   #9
wisconsin

Hope she recovers well and is bred to Mitole.

How cool would it be for Steve Asmussen to get a chance to train that foal?
Old 10-18-2023, 04:04 PM   #10
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Hope she recovers well and is bred to Mitole.

How cool would it be for Steve Asmussen to get a chance to train that foal?
A Mitole - Echo Zulu mating would produce a foal that has three crosses of Storm Cat within 5 generations. Interesting to say the least.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 11:04 AM   #11
LemonSoupKid

Yes, what a great horse Mitole was too. He dug in at SA last time on that slow, horrible track and still won in the sprint. One of the few that I won that day since they basically sabotaged the track 2 weeks or so leading up. I remember Eurton's horse winning the Juvenile and then never doing anything for the rest of his career (at least Britney was crying in the WC), and also Vino Rosso winning the Classic. Ugly year and bad Saturday at SA, in my opinion.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 01:22 PM   #12
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Incredible update.

Thank you.
I appreciate that sir.

Thank you.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2023, 09:26 AM   #13
Sysonby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
Echo Zulu Update.

From what I have read:

I wish her the best.
Founder is another term for laminitis. They've actually made pretty big strides with treatment of laminiitis related to grain or grass, colic and even endocrine-related. The one place that is still really problematic is supporting limb laminitis the horse can get when there's an injury like this. So yeah, this is still very dicey going forward.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply