Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-06-2023, 01:26 PM   #31
shout1966

Very simple reason Georgia and Florida st was left out.
These committees love to suck Sabien you know what, so when they decided to put Alabama in they couldnt justify not putting in Texas who beat them this year.

True final four should have been

Michigan

Washington

Georgia

Florida St

I ask if Alabama was Georgia they would have never left Alabama out. Also this is the last year of the 4 team playoff so they don't care setting a precedent they don't have to keep

Last edited by shout1966; 12-06-2023 at 01:32 PM.
shout1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #32
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I agree: there is nothing about a 12-team field that is appealing. As a lifetime Luddite that still prefers the traditional bowl alignments of a generation ago, every year I like to look at what might have been if it hadn't changed. In this case, the Rose Bowl would be a 1-2 matchup that would surely produce a national champ (it happened once in a while); but also we could look forward to, for example, Sugar: Bama v OSU; Fiesta: Texas -Oregon; Orange: Georgia-FSU. Peach & Cotton are on their own, with some decent 2-loss teams to choose from.

But 12-teams, 9 games...way too much.
The problem is with the transfer portal and those now opting out for the draft even the NY6 games are being rendered meaningless unlike 20 years ago when teams played hard to win.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:51 PM   #33
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
The problem is with the transfer portal and those now opting out for the draft even the NY6 games are being rendered meaningless unlike 20 years ago when teams played hard to win.
Disagree.

Have wagered many a bowl game and won some office bowl pools for the very simple reason of finding the team that really wants to be there. It was no different in the 90s and 00s than it is now.

Now, with the fact that players opt out and don't play in bowl games has presented a whole other element, and often times leads towards people actually knowing who wants to play and be there, and the team that doesn't want to be there.

This year's Pinstripe Bowl pitting Rutgers vs Miami in New York on December 28th looks to be a prime candidate. Missouri vs Ohio State could be another.

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 12-06-2023 at 05:53 PM.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2023, 04:47 PM   #34
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
The clock is ticking on conference championship games.
I hope you're right.

B1g, sec will start scheduling more New Mexico St. and App St types, no more big match-ups a few yrs down the road. I bet Michigan and Texas wish they hadn't scheduled next year's game.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2023, 08:32 AM   #35
Nitro

The Final 4

I’ll start off with the Washington vs Texas game (although I had hoped that Michigan would have made this bowl game vs WA more interesting but based on the committee’s choice of moving Alabama into the final 4 that wasn’t going to happen).
So, they had 12&0 WA as a 10 Pt underdog vs 11&1 OR and they won! Now they have 13&0 WA as a 4 Pt underdog to 12&1 TX. I wonder how the WA players feel about that. So, WA beat a top team like OR twice. So why can’t they beat another top team like TX twice (They beat them in last year’s Alamo bowl).

I’m leaning toward Michigan vs Alabama in the Rose bowl but not sure why they’re only favored by 1.5 Pts. (Perhaps the MI QB is still having an injury issue). If he’s in I think the spread should be at least -7 Pts. If not, then the current spread might be accurate. They might prove me wrong, but as many feel I believe AL shouldn’t even be in the final 4, but that’s another story.

So, if things work out as suggested and it’s WA vs MI in the final game, I believe WA should be favored by as least 3 pts and will win the Championship.

I’ll be also interested in seeing how GA and FL St game plays out in the Orange bowl. I’m wondering if the emotional balloon has burst for the GA players after their big losing to AL in the biggest game of their season. On the other hand, although FL St is currently a big 14 Pt underdog I’m also wondering about the morale of their players. They sure have a great defense to rely on, but GA likes to sustain their drives. If the FL St offense can’t give their defense a rest by keeping GA off the field, it might be a long day for FL St.
Nitro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2023, 03:53 PM   #36
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
I’ll start off with the Washington vs Texas game (although I had hoped that Michigan would have made this bowl game vs WA more interesting but based on the committee’s choice of moving Alabama into the final 4 that wasn’t going to happen).
So, they had 12&0 WA as a 10 Pt underdog vs 11&1 OR and they won! Now they have 13&0 WA as a 4 Pt underdog to 12&1 TX. I wonder how the WA players feel about that. So, WA beat a top team like OR twice. So why can’t they beat another top team like TX twice (They beat them in last year’s Alamo bowl).

I’m leaning toward Michigan vs Alabama in the Rose bowl but not sure why they’re only favored by 1.5 Pts. (Perhaps the MI QB is still having an injury issue). If he’s in I think the spread should be at least -7 Pts. If not, then the current spread might be accurate. They might prove me wrong, but as many feel I believe AL shouldn’t even be in the final 4, but that’s another story.

So, if things work out as suggested and it’s WA vs MI in the final game, I believe WA should be favored by as least 3 pts and will win the Championship.

I’ll be also interested in seeing how GA and FL St game plays out in the Orange bowl. I’m wondering if the emotional balloon has burst for the GA players after their big losing to AL in the biggest game of their season. On the other hand, although FL St is currently a big 14 Pt underdog I’m also wondering about the morale of their players. They sure have a great defense to rely on, but GA likes to sustain their drives. If the FL St offense can’t give their defense a rest by keeping GA off the field, it might be a long day for FL St.
I think you're smart to bet Washington, but last year's bowl game was meaningless. Texas best 2 rb's didn't suit up, both are in the NFL right now. That game meant nothing.

This game does, uw has been disrespected in every way by the media. Booger McFarland (dumb as a rock but knows football to a degree) said uw is the only team in the cfp that can't play big boy football and has no shot.. Talk about motivation.

I might add texas can't play big boy football on offense (which is no longer required) and the uw receiving Corps might have a field day on the Texas DBs.. UW is damn good from what I see, and I'm an Orangeblood. The Horns can win, I just think UW is the better team. With a month off though anything can happen
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 12-11-2023 at 03:55 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply