Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #31
Robert Fischer
clean money

Is Life Is Good running in the Dirt Mile?
Old 10-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #32
VeryOldMan

It's a thread about potential vulnerable short priced BC horses - isn't the point that in recent memory both Jackie's Warrior and Complexity came into the Juvenile as undefeated, strong looking winners of the Champagne and fell short at short prices (Complexity not the favorite) in the Juvenile? If you're looking to beat a favorite in the current Juvenile, it doesn't seem like faulty logic to make note of that. I've got nothing against Jack Christopher based on his races, but don't see it as cherry-picking to note recent past failures.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #33
MJC922

The champagne was a big effort for the horse no doubt but I would keep in mind if Wit isn't completely blocked mid-turn and playing let's just stop and wait here in a box for the rail to open up then he's probably surging to within a couple of lengths at the top of the stretch. I'm not saying he wins if he gets through but just pointing out this big air gap which looks so impressive on the turn isn't quite what it seems to be.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #34
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
I can remember Zenyatta winning without a mile and a quarter race prior, though that was on a synthetic surface which she loved. One of the main reasons I did not play her.

Surprised there are only three winners like that given there are so few one mile and a quarter graded dirt races anymore.
Funny thing about ZENYATTA. I actually think she really didn't like synthetics. IMO she tolerated them because she didn't have any choice.

Her two wins on dirt at Oaklawn in the Apple Blossom were massive efforts.

Her 2nd in the Classic to BLAME could very well been one of her best races.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #35
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Funny thing about ZENYATTA. I actually think she really didn't like synthetics. IMO she tolerated them because she didn't have any choice.

She was great and I agree with you. The most unfortunate thing about her career was racing on synthetics so much
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #36
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
This may be true, but she never lost on it and she was running on her home track the year she won it.

The synthetics did compromise others, thinking Curtin a couple of years before, who in my opinion dominates that race on conventional dirt.
I was not implying that the synthetic surface is the only reason she won the race, it just didn't hurt her chances any.

She was a great mare and looked like she could run on anything.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #37
classhandicapper

Quote:

You aren’t the only one that thought and said that after seeing her work and run on the variations of synth they had out there and then on dirt. I’ve heard clockers say that. I think even Baffert said something along those lines. Had she been more used to the dirt kickback I think the 2nd Classic would have had a different result because she clearly didn’t like that aspect of it that day early on.

I tried to beat her a couple of times, but fortunately Forego taught me a few valuable lessons about trying to beat all time greats. 😂
Old 10-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #38
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
She was great and I agree with you. The most unfortunate thing about her career was racing on synthetics so much
The one major mistake they made with her was not going to Saratoga to take on Rachel at 10F. Maybe Rachel wouldn’t have shown up if she came, but if you are going to take her on you want it to be at 10F or in a high quality race against males where she wouldn’t dominate vastly inferior speeds on the front. That also would have served as a good prep for 10F on dirt in the Classic.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 10-23-2021 at 12:32 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #39
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
And ducking males on sythetics. It was weak sauce that she never ran in the Big Cap, Gold Cup, or Pacific Classic.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #40
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
And ducking males on sythetics. It was weak sauce that she never ran in the Big Cap, Gold Cup, or Pacific Classic.
Yes. Some of them were on the same day. Shirreffs was way to careful IMO
Old 10-23-2021, 11:14 PM   #41
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Is Life Is Good running in the Dirt Mile?
Yup,the likely chalk.
I hope all that are in line to make the race show up,it's looking like a solid betting heat.
I'm thinking Ginobili & Plainsman.
You can make a case for quite a few......strong edition.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2021, 02:46 AM   #42
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
This may be true, but she never lost on it and she was running on her home track the year she won it.

The synthetics did compromise others, thinking Curtin a couple of years before, who in my opinion dominates that race on conventional dirt.
I was not implying that the synthetic surface is the only reason she won the race, it just didn't hurt her chances any.

She was a great mare and looked like she could run on anything.
Good post.

With all due respect, I feel Hollywood Park was her home track.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #43
Andy Asaro

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...at_Belmont_123

Highly-regarded juvenile colt Jack Christopher breezed in preparation for the Grade 1, $2 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile on November 5 at Del Mar.

The talented Munnings chestnut covered five-eighths in 1:00.85 seconds in company with Grade 1 Frizette runner-up Gerrymander over a fast main track in his first major work since capturing the Grade 1 Champagne on Oct. 9 at Belmont Park.

“He’s trained brilliant since Day One and he continues to do so,” Brown said. “I’m very impressed with that horse every time he works.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #44
Andy Asaro

Old 10-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #45
classhandicapper

Quote:
Good post.

With all due respect, I feel Hollywood Park was her home track.
Wasn’t Hollywood the one that was kind of half half dirt and half synth?

I also vaguely remember that there was a dirt training track out there somewhere during that period that she trained on at least some of the time. I may have an article about it bookmarked somewhere or it may have been part of an email conversation with a clocker.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: