Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
BarchCapper

NYRA Racing on NY1 - mid-late 90's

Long before there was "America's Day at the Races" and before there was TVG, my first media experience of horseplayer heaven came in the mid-late 90s when they started showing the full NYRA cards on the relatively new local news cable channel NY1.

It was a great time for me because I was working a midnight shift during those years so could catch most if not all of the racing.

I had never enjoyed so much pre-race discussion of each of the races of the day. I'm fairly sure I have memories of our own Andy Serling doing some of the between races commentary, and also remember Paul Cornman, but only have a fuzzy picture in my mind of a couple of the others, without remembering names. I can't remember if Steve Crist did some of the shows or just had a hand in them coming about.

I don't know how long NY1 carried those cards, since we moved to Phoenix in 1999. If any other NYer has memories of those times and the personalities, I'd be grateful if you'd share them.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
the little guy

It was not on NY1, it was on Channel 71.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Long before there was "America's Day at the Races" and before there was TVG, my first media experience of horseplayer heaven came in the mid-late 90s when they started showing the full NYRA cards on the relatively new local news cable channel NY1.

It was a great time for me because I was working a midnight shift during those years so could catch most if not all of the racing.

I had never enjoyed so much pre-race discussion of each of the races of the day. I'm fairly sure I have memories of our own Andy Serling doing some of the between races commentary, and also remember Paul Cornman, but only have a fuzzy picture in my mind of a couple of the others, without remembering names. I can't remember if Steve Crist did some of the shows or just had a hand in them coming about.

I don't know how long NY1 carried those cards, since we moved to Phoenix in 1999. If any other NYer has memories of those times and the personalities, I'd be grateful if you'd share them.
You’re thinking of cable channel 71 which was run by NYCOTB on a city owned channel. They would show the live feeds from NYRA, Yonkers and sometimes Monticello.

Before that in Long Island they used to show the Capital OTB channel, which would give live odds but delayed calls for NYRA (live when they were at the Spa.)
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #4
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
It was not on NY1, it was on Channel 71.
More memory needing to be jogged! Thank you! This 57 year old brain has received a lot more input since then and some things fall out.

We had Gilbert Media owned Staten Island Cable. Staten Island didn't even get cable until the mid-late 80's (I believe that was the case with most of NYC outside of Manhattan). I do remember the joy of finally seeing my first non-Christmas Day, non-playoffs Knicks' games broadcast from the Garden now that I could watch MSG.

I now do remember Channel 71 being the channel - but also have some recollection (of course, a potentially faulty one) of things moving around at some point - wonder if it was on 71 right at the beginning on our system? I know at the beginning we didn't even HAVE a channel 71 - but don't know when that changed. I know that when we first got cable at my mom's house I was simply excited to have more channels than 2,4,5,7,9,11 and 13 along with a couple of fuzzy UHF ones watched mostly for wrestling!

Would still love to be reminded of more of the hosts during those early years!
Old 06-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Long before there was "America's Day at the Races" and before there was TVG, my first media experience of horseplayer heaven
I think you might have enjoyed the days of Harvey Pack handicapping races in the grandstand for a crowd of people. He was great at it. He had an almost perfect balance of handicapping knowledge with some humor mixed in.

When I was a teenager, I stopped him one time and asked him if he knew anyone that was actually beating this game regularly and making a living at it. He just looked at me and said, "Stay in school kid".
Old 06-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
pandy

On channel 71 at night there was live racing from Yonkers. I did quite a few of the shows along with Frank Drucker. The cable TV exposure boosted the handle and then, believe it or not, OTB and Yonkers got into a dispute over revenues and the show was pulled off the air for well over a year.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
KirisClown

It started in February 1995. I believe it was Harvey Pack, John Veitch, John Imbriale, Paul Cornman, Jan Rushton. John Velazquez's wife Leona had a short stint on the show. The following year Andy Serling and Mike Watchmaker were part of it.

This is just a short segment of one of the programs from February 1995. It was their second show.

KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #8
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown View Post
It started in February 1995. I believe it was Harvey Pack, John Veitch, John Imbriale, Paul Cornman, Jan Rushton. John Velazquez's wife Leona had a short stint on the show. The following year Andy Serling and Mike Watchmaker were part of it.

This is just a short segment of one of the programs from February 1995. It was their second show.

https://youtu.be/aMvHi3EuI50
Thanks!
Old 06-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #9
SG4

Anybody else still have this gem of a t-shirt in their wardrobe? Believe the bet-by-phone launch coincided with the initial broadcast on Ch 71, and back then you actually got free stuff for being a customer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg shirt.jpg (81.9 KB, 6 views)
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2020, 01:01 AM   #10
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Anybody else still have this gem of a t-shirt in their wardrobe? Believe the bet-by-phone launch coincided with the initial broadcast on Ch 71, and back then you actually got free stuff for being a customer.
I have a sweatshirt .
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I think you might have enjoyed the days of Harvey Pack handicapping races in the grandstand for a crowd of people. He was great at it. He had an almost perfect balance of handicapping knowledge with some humor mixed in.

When I was a teenager, I stopped him one time and asked him if he knew anyone that was actually beating this game regularly and making a living at it. He just looked at me and said, "Stay in school kid".
I think it was you,but didn’t Harvey have a great Andy Beyer story about beating the game.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
I think it was you,but didn’t Harvey have a great Andy Beyer story about beating the game.
I think it was when Andy Beyer released "My $50,000 Year at the Races".

It was a big race day and Andy Beyer was Harvey's special guest in the grandstand. Harvey introduced Andy and plugged the new book. Then he said, "You can find it in the fiction section".
Old 06-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
aaron

That is the story. Loved Harvey’s humor. Harvey kept NY horseplayers entertained and informed for decades.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply