Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-18-2014, 02:06 AM   #31
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
Julien Laperoux sucks. He blows more races than all the other jockeys combined. Yes, I can't stand him.
First name that popped into my head too. I know the guy wins a pile of races, but it is a mystery to me how it happens.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #32
Robert Fischer
clean money

Luis Villanueva

Luis Villanueva listed as Jock of SUGAR STREAK r6 Parx today.

It's nice to see his stats. He's had some rides. I don't know his story.

Always been a favorite rider of mine. Style is like a poor-man's Ramon Dominguez. Smart great hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I used to like Luis Villanueva a lot, but he just has never gotten any mounts (and when he does, they're 30-1 shots for small barns). It's been a long enough time, and I also haven't noticed as many of the sporadic move-up rides that he had been producing, that I have kind of lost interest in him as a prospect at this point.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #33
Robert Fischer
clean money

R6 - not as much horse as the rivals, today.

did some race riding into the 1st-turn. Got position. Heavy pressure late on the backstretch. Cool to see him.

it was interesting to hear the Parx handicapper pick the on top and some positive words about Luis.

Probably an underlay today betting.

I didn't realize that this thread was so old. Should have posted it in the 'excellent rides' current thread. Sorry can delete.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #34
classhandicapper

I'm with EMD4ME.

I've seen a lot of great jockeys, but it's hard for me to come up with someone that does/did virtually everything well and moved up horses so often when they switched to him. Ramon was probably the best I ever saw (sorry Angel). It was a monumental loss when he had to retire.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #35
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I'm with EMD4ME.

I've seen a lot of great jockeys, but it's hard for me to come up with someone that does/did virtually everything well and moved up horses so often when they switched to him. Ramon was probably the best I ever saw (sorry Angel). It was a monumental loss when he had to retire.
So who are the best jockeys today?

yea agree on Ramon
Ramon is one of the all-time greats. You can just start pulling up races near the beginning of his with his stakes resume and you get like 2006 Pimlico Special Invasor... and OK, it looked like a great ride and stretch, but we know Invasor is a better horse than Wanderin Boy,
and then you go somewhere like 2007 Clark Handicap, and Ramon virtually picks A P Arrow up and carries him through the stretch. So many occasions. I tend to remember his runs into the first turn of routes on forward horses. Synergy, or at the very least 'teamwork' with a horse.

Today? - Wish I knew them all better. Ortiz is great. Prat seems to have that skill. I don't know enough about Prat to say that he isn't as athletic as some other jocks but the intelligence and feel and position is evident.
Rosario seems to flash some greatness. Rosario is a guy who gets some good open mounts, but just the same, some of his trainer-jock numbers outshine the trainer's baseline. Saez rises to the biggest meets.
Geroux?
Rispoli?
Hernandez?
Frey?
do these guys belong?
Know I missed some
International?

Don't know the book on every jock, and I'm usually not even factoring jocks.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 10-11-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #36
Robert Fischer
clean money

Red face Thistle Downs Jockeys ( a lot of words and a dime Su)

looking at Thistle
Probably not the home of elite jocks, but they have interesting variety, and you find some jocks that have great agents and medium skill, some with skill, and some journeyman (be kind).

/digging through the card
Race 4 today

3-1ml - I have the jock as 'solid', projects to lead. Just broke mdn and is 3-1, 2/5from TFUS power ratings... potentially a lean against here.

9/2ml - Chavez seems to me one of the better jocks at circuit. Fair ml price. One of the Presque Isle shippers. Hasn't done much running lately. Troublesome that pedigree suggests 'Turf', but has done all his 'running' on dirt. Better speed on dirt, but that was for Schikedanz, not Winters/Lodono. On the fence with this one, but I do think that circuit-switch and Chavez will put into the game. Exotics.

7/2ml - Berrios has strong stats. I don't know all of the subtleties of this circuit, but he did not impress me as a top rider on the circuit. Last race 10/1 vs. better, 'even' 3rd after leading a slow bunched up pace and being tackled early and wide. I'm leaning against today if at or below ml'

15/1ml - 1 for 66... Halder is a smart jock at the circuit. Haldar isn't going to swing form reversals, but is a nice rider. Unfortunately, has already been riding this one. The Interesting change here is switch from Inirio/Inirio to Nabu Morales/Morlona Racing... even posts a work. Hey if he's longest or 2nd longest shot, could get 3rd or 4th...

betting? - maybe 'Action'.. I'll throw a dime /most/most/
some 'happenings' but not a dream scenario

perhaps a double r4 -r5 over
r5
Haldar projects loose 8-1ml accurate? (if so, some 'Win' etc)
Rivera and Gonzales capable of contending

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 10-12-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Dylan Davis and Kendrick Carmouche should get a lot more mounts.
Probably any rider who had the lead in any race over the weekend....
Old 10-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #38
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thumbs up

Thistle- Too bad they didn't offer race1 P5 today.
4-15-7 su a few dimes pending 'official' ok.. $21? su not terrible... Nabu nearly won that race. Significant improvement.
2nd-at-worst if Chavez let Haldar 'team up' in the drive (lucky he herded him wide)
chalk-chalkChavez-Haldar-ChavezPick-r5 w/ the 38-1ml or 3rivalchalks likely..

Tom -Kendrick Carmouche made me a few bucks on a multi-race wager, or two, at Belmont/Saratoga. Thinking it was on the pace turf routes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Dylan Davis and Kendrick Carmouche should get a lot more mounts.
Probably any rider who had the lead in any race over the weekend....
Old 10-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #39
the little guy

Quote:

Tom -Kendrick Carmouche made me a few bucks on a multi-race wager, or two, at Belmont/Saratoga. Thinking it was on the pace turf routes.
Kendrick didn't ride at Saratoga
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #40
Boomer

Dylan Davis is having his breakout year and seems to be launching his way into the elite status IMO. Wondering if he is heading south for the winter. I think he is ready.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #41
Boomer

And guys like Arnaldo Bocachica, king of CharlesTown. Would be interesting to see how he would do in the Major Leagues. But likely not to see that.

He makes plenty of $$$ at CT and I imagine he would win the quality of life catagory. 8 wins Saturday
Old 10-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #42
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Dylan Davis is having his breakout year and seems to be launching his way into the elite status IMO. Wondering if he is heading south for the winter. I think he is ready.
Ready to ride for less money and struggle for mounts? Hard to see Dylan heading South. In fact, more riders are starting to stay in NY during the Winter. Javier Castellano and Jose Ortiz are staying at Aqueduct.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #43
Robert Fischer
clean money

pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Kendrick didn't ride at Saratoga
thanks, had to've been Belmont then. Projected loose. Mid-price.

Quote:
looking at Thistle
Haldar is a smart jock at the circuit. Haldar isn't going to swing form reversals, but is a nice rider.
betting? - maybe 'Action'.. I'll throw a dime /most/most/
some 'happenings' but not a dream scenario

r5
Haldar projects loose 8-1ml accurate? (if so, some 'Win' etc)
Rivera and Gonzales capable of contending

i have no idea in no order thistle
Haldar
Chavez
dominguez
Correa
rivera
a. diaz - smart
j bracho -athletic

quit for the day
Old 10-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #44
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Ready to ride for less money and struggle for mounts? Hard to see Dylan heading South. In fact, more riders are starting to stay in NY during the Winter. Javier Castellano and Jose Ortiz are staying at Aqueduct.

Maybe, if Javier and Jose stay North, there are two elite jocks he does not have to compete with.

At this point in his career, shouldn't he be staying to the top trainers, who will have their best horses in Florida. And he has already started gaining traction with some of the big boys. The timing seems to be right for him to make the move.

Clemente and Chad also ship to Tampa or actually stable there and he can pick up some of those mounts, and they may not always be their second string?

And he is still young. Winter in Ozone Park or Hallandale?

Last edited by Boomer; 10-12-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #45
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Maybe, if Javier and Jose stay not North, that are two elite jocks he does not have to compete with.

At this point in his career, shouldn't he be staying to the top trainers, who will have their best horses in Florida. And he has already started gaining traction with some of the big boys. The timing seems to be right for him to make the move.

Clemente and Chad also ship to Tampa or actually stable there and he can pick up some of those mounts, and they may not always be their second string?

And he is still young. Winter in Ozone Park or Hallandale?
Tampa? Their purses are tiny.

Wintering in NY is his best career move.