Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
dilanesp

Remington disallows a jackpot ticket on a technicality

This is almost a law school hypothetical.

This guy had the only ticket on the jackpot pick 6. Unfortunately, there was a dead heat in the sequence, and he covered both horses in the dead heat. Had he been half-wrong on the race, he would have won the jackpot, but because he correctly identified both winners, he loses.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...QYt5jk.twitter
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

bummer

I don't know how I feel about the ruling. Sounds fair, but unfortunate at first glance.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
thaskalos

Horrible ruling...but it serves him right for betting that kind of money on quarter horses.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #4
Immortal6

Sucks for the guy but “technically” the track is correct. There were 2 winning tickets...still pretty sleazy of them though.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
jay68802

Remington Park will debut a new wager on its racing program this Friday night, Oct. 5. The Sooner 6ix will challenge horseplayers and offer a jackpot payoff if there is only one ticket with six of six correct.

This unique “pick six-style” wager is a 20-cent bet and will cover the final six races on the Remington Park racing card every race date. The Sooner 6ix races on Friday night (races 4 thru 9) have 59 horses entered for an average field size of 9.83 per race.

The Sooner 6ix will payout 50% of the wagering pool to winning tickets with six of six correct. If there are no tickets with the winners of all six races picked, then the payoff moves down to tickets with five of six correct, and so on. The other 50% of the wagering pool will carryover to the jackpot pool. That carryover pool will grow until there is one unique ticket with six-of-six correct, winning the entire pool for the wager, plus the carryover, or until there is a mandatory payout situation on the final day of the season.

Tough one for Remington. If it would say "one unique winning combination", I would think they have a chance. But their rules clearly state "ticket".

PAY THE GUY HIS MONEY!
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
Sucks for the guy but “technically” the track is correct. There were 2 winning tickets...still pretty sleazy of them though.
Got to disagree. He had 1 ticket.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
dilanesp

One thing is if I were his lawyer I would subpoena the photo. Because if there was even one micrometer of distance between those two horses, I would contend they have to pay off.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
thaskalos

Two winners because of a dead heat...and the same guy holds both winning tickets. I remember reading about another instance a few years ago...where someone bet a combination twice...and that proved to be the only winning sequence. But it was viewed as if there were "two winners"...and he didn't get paid either.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
castaway01

Technically the track is right but it's awful luck for the bettor.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Two winners because of a dead heat...and the same guy holds both winning tickets. I remember reading about another instance a few years ago...where someone bet a combination twice...and that proved to be the only winning sequence. But it was viewed as if there were "two winners"...and he didn't get paid either.
It's good to know Chris Harn can't hit the jackpot pick 6.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post

PAY THE GUY HIS MONEY!
Based on the rules written by Remington Park, the guy did in fact have the only unique ticket https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...Arthur-P6.jpeg so I agree, he deserves the jackpot.

Time for them to re-write the rules reflecting the dead heat procedure.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #12
moneyandland

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IIRC it was a single ticket holder who had a scratched horse tranferred to the post time favorite which won so got 2 winning tickets and was screwed out of the pk6
moneyandland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #13
Elkchester Road

It is a terrible decision.

It is times like these that I am glad I am too "slow" to play multi-race wagers.

Hopefully, this guy doesn't get to "chasing" that money in that carryover.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #14
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Remington Park will debut a new wager on its racing program this Friday night, Oct. 5. The Sooner 6ix will challenge horseplayers and offer a jackpot payoff if there is only one ticket with six of six correct.

This unique “pick six-style” wager is a 20-cent bet and will cover the final six races on the Remington Park racing card every race date. The Sooner 6ix races on Friday night (races 4 thru 9) have 59 horses entered for an average field size of 9.83 per race.

The Sooner 6ix will payout 50% of the wagering pool to winning tickets with six of six correct. If there are no tickets with the winners of all six races picked, then the payoff moves down to tickets with five of six correct, and so on. The other 50% of the wagering pool will carryover to the jackpot pool. That carryover pool will grow until there is one unique ticket with six-of-six correct, winning the entire pool for the wager, plus the carryover, or until there is a mandatory payout situation on the final day of the season.

Tough one for Remington. If it would say "one unique winning combination", I would think they have a chance. But their rules clearly state "ticket".

PAY THE GUY HIS MONEY!

I completely agree with you.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #15
horses4courses

Ridiculous

Bad ruling - and even worse PR for the track.

It's not as if they were booking the bet.
They win regardless.
Unless, they do something stupid like this.

The ruling won't help their handle down the road on this wager.
Putting a $ figure on goodwill and reputation is harder, but it will hurt them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: