Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #46
alydar

To me the classic ones mostly already mentioned:

1976 Marlboro
1978 Belmont
1988 Breeders Cup Distaff
2009 Breeders Cup

All fantastic races won by champions in dramatic ways.
alydar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #47
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Here's my top 3:

[YT="Invincible? You bet your ass"]ydT4SRxZT1Y[/YT]

[YT="With ONE. FINAL. ...."]cKR3_shx7p4[/YT]

[YT="A burst of energy"]0at6tTgEvNc[/YT]
You were at all three of these races?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #48
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman
More drivel, like your slanderous nonsense about Curlin being on steroids
Just for the record, if I had seen your last 2 or 3 replies to EMD before he had a chance to reply, I would have deleted them.

There are better ways to express yourself...stay classy
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #49
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman
I'm guessing your eyes are brown because you're so full of shite what with all your sentimental love for this game but yet you are an elitist in that all must be as you deem proper lest you be inconvenienced in your enjoyment of the track experience. Exaggerate all you want about what you witnessed (like fornication in the stairwells) in order to justify your snobbery, but I call bullshit. You're just a race track snob who sees things your way or the wrong way.
The people EMD4ME are complaining about are never going to be horse racing fans, maybe you haven't been to enough different sporting events to have ran across them. Don't know what to call them they seem to show up at large sporting events, get drunk, make a lot of noise, and have no idea of the how to act and function to make everyone's experience pleasant. They show up at Nascar events, Baseball games, Football games, etc,etc. They know next to nothing about what they are watching, they are there to get drunk and stupid in a large crowd. I don't think sex in the stairwells is too far fetched. I saw more bare chested women in person at the derby than I have seen in my whole life and I got around as a youth. Some of them came in the men's room and flashed and then used the facilities with quite a few males using the pee troughs.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #50
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
He must have owned one of the horses those days. After all, there's no point in going to the track if one of your horses isn't running...
Old 07-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #51
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Same guy was so "secretive" he wouldn't say what track he attended 20 years ago...I'm guessing no.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #52
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusWiz
I was in awe of Secretariat's Triple Crown and will never forget how far behind the second place finisher seemed to be (it was almost like a separate race), but this was the Triple Crown I bet against...
[yt="1978 Belmont Stakes"]apBIGFWMFr0[/yt]
I had $10 on Alydar and for a moment I thought he would win it with the strength of his ability to finish, but Affirmed had the will to win it. I will never forget this race.

I was there. Too young to bet but not too young to cheer. Seats directly across the 1/8th pole on the 2nd level. It was a beautiful day.

Madhouse at the top of the stretch for The Belmont, though.

Last edited by BlueChip@DRF; 07-15-2015 at 06:17 PM.
BlueChip@DRF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #53
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDbOyu5tTF4

One of the many times I bet on the Paster and the Bid kicked his tail.
This, and it's not even close.

(Honorable mentions for me: Alysheba's Woodward, Sunday Silence's Breeders' Cup Classic, JO Tobin's Swaps Stakes, Affirmed's Santa Anita Handicap and Hollywood Gold Cup, Cigar's Hollywood Gold Cup, Zenyatta's Breeders' Cup Classic, Game On Dude's third Santa Anita Handicap win, Inside Information's Breeders' Cup Distaff, and Curlin's Breeders' Cup Classic.)
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #54
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
The people EMD4ME are complaining about are never going to be horse racing fans, maybe you haven't been to enough different sporting events to have ran across them. Don't know what to call them they seem to show up at large sporting events, get drunk, make a lot of noise, and have no idea of the how to act and function to make everyone's experience pleasant. They show up at Nascar events, Baseball games, Football games, etc,etc. They know next to nothing about what they are watching, they are there to get drunk and stupid in a large crowd. I don't think sex in the stairwells is too far fetched. I saw more bare chested women in person at the derby than I have seen in my whole life and I got around as a youth. Some of them came in the men's room and flashed and then used the facilities with quite a few males using the pee troughs.

Not sure who is familiar with the Belmont layout and who is not, so I will try and portray clearly. There is a 4th floor at the Big B. Basically, it's on the 3rd floor but you have to take about 12 stairs up to the 4th floor (instead of a seperate escalator up). It is really only used on Belmont Stakes day. I love those seats as you are high up and the public doesn't really go for them first (when sales are hard). I got seats for the 2008 Belmont Stakes, 1st row inside the 1/16th pole on the 4th floor.

What I saw, I can not desrcibe how repulsed I was. I had my then 65 year old ginger mother with me and my then girlfriend of 6 years. We had 3 seats first row ready to see if Big Brown would win or not. We listened to Frank Sinatra at about 10 minutes to post and then the chaos began.

An onslought of trash bumrushed the ushers and peace officers UP the 12 stairs. These disusting vile pieces of trash were rude, loud, obnoxious, half naked and oozing of slime. WE, meaning everyone in the first and second row (maybe 3rd row) COULD NOT SEE A DARN THING excpept for the back of these POSs heads. I am a racing fanatic. I was at the track since negative 9M (Meaning since I was conceived by my mother and father).

I was NOT about to let this garbage ruin my Belmont Stakes. My mother, my girlfriend and I were not about to maybe miss history because of these pigs.

Yes, I yelled at them. That didn't work. I cursed at them, that got their attention but that didn't work, so I resorted to the next logical item on the chart....

Public humiliation.....

I turned to the crowd behind me, asked them "Who's p***ed off that these people in front of us, WHO DIDNT PAY FOR SEATS LIKE WE DID"?

Most all people screamed in return....I said let them KNOW IT. So, I started a chant, Get the BLANK out of our way. Get the BLANK out of our way, Get the BLANK out of our way.

When I had the chance, I started another chant, YOU ARE A POS, YOU ARE A POS, YOU ARE A POS.

That was the one that got them to go back down (and I'm not talking about 2 or 3 'people', I'm talking 25-30 "people" that got back down.

I felt most sorry for the ushers and temporary peace officers. (I Know every single peace officer at NYRA).

A few guys yelled back at me: "Enjoy the race, it's your last" or "YOUR DEAD, right after the race"

Not a pleasant experience. Sorry for the readboard but I did cash a nice Friday to Saturday double to D'Tara-paid $555 if I remember correctly LOL but it didn't matter if I hit for a million.

That was truly disgusting and I hope it didn't happen in 2015 (I had to miss this year's stakes as my mother was critical and had to tend to her).

I was a bit younger, the testosterone was gushing and I reacted.

I don't blame NYRA at all for it as these people (and I hate typing the word people as they are NOT human. I hate to use the word animal to describe a human as I love animals toooo much) are vile and disgusting.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #55
Ted Craven

My most memorable race I actually attended - was actually also my very first race ever, my first bet won, my first nail-biting photo finish and the first (and only) time I ever saw Willie Shoemaker ride - the inaugural 1981 Arlington Million won by John Henry.

New in Chicago, an old race-tracker friend took me out to the 'burbs but we got lost and arrived late, maybe 20 minutes beforehand. After the dust settled on the photo-finish with The Bart, I think I won about $1 on my $10 bet but I didn't care. I guess I should have kept the ticket. Only a decade later when I seriously got into racing did I really appreciate who John Henry actually was, and what a historic inauguration I had myself into this great game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2ByoMBq6k

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 07-15-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #56
Overlay

For me (and as has already been mentioned by others), Forego's 1976 Marlboro Cup.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #57
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Was standing on the apron at Lone Star. Never seen a horse running that fast at the end of a race. Any race. Much less a mile and a quarter
Ghost Zapper

JCGC Day, September 2003 was my second visit to Belmont. Will never forget Ghost Zapper running by everybody down the stretch in the Vosburgh. I know it was only a 6.5f sprint, but the way he did it and margin of victory was amazing. I bring up the video on YouTube a few times a year and am in awe each and every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiKgJiYCDM

I have no doubt that he would have won the BC Sprint that year if he didn't have so much trouble with his feet. I've read multiple articles that it was training genius by Bobby F just to get him to the track much less win Graded races, including the following years BC Classic. And Bobby F's right hand man at the time was none other than Chad B.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #58
KirisClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Doubt the video exists.

Skywalker beating Bedside Promise by a head in the Longacres Mile after a head and head length of the stretch dual. Skywalker went on to win the BC Classic 2 1/2 months later.
Here you go..

[YT="86 Longacres Mile"]VwixWXIAGyg[/YT]
KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #59
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
Ghost Zapper

JCGC Day, September 2003 was my second visit to Belmont. Will never forget Ghost Zapper running by everybody down the stretch in the Vosburgh. I know it was only a 6.5f sprint, but the way he did it and margin of victory was amazing. I bring up the video on YouTube a few times a year and am in awe each and every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiKgJiYCDM

I have no doubt that he would have won the BC Sprint that year if he didn't have so much trouble with his feet. I've read multiple articles that it was training genius by Bobby F just to get him to the track much less win Graded races, including the following years BC Classic. And Bobby F's right hand man at the time was none other than Chad B.

I too was at that race and was flabberghasted. His strides in the last 1/4 were amazing.

The only thing more amazing was the fact that the cars we see in the background (near the 5/8 th's) actually were cars that were owened by visiting patrons that day, parked 5/8 of a mile away from the grandstand!

Watching that on tape doesn't give it as much credit as is deserved. In person that was GhostZapperish!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #60
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown
Here you go..

[YT="86 Longacres Mile"]VwixWXIAGyg[/YT]

Secretariat Debut?
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply