Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-20-2023, 04:36 PM   #16
Bullet Plane

They don't need to find another jockey necessarily. in my opinion. It can be a jockey, trainer, handicapper, or someone with broad experience in the industry. The important thing is to provide an intelligent and articulate presentation. The ability to tell an interesting and entertaining story of the horse race is the key.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 06:38 PM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
They have the MiG there already.

Mig is easy to like on every level.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:44 PM   #18
wiretowire68

Gary Stevens

Just a very laid back guy...super nice to talk too. Brittany Eurton, I think she left TVG on her own, you will see her still on NBC but she is in New York and as they say pursuing or getting ready for other opportunities, my guess is college football, Olympics, maybe even some sideline stuff for the MLB. She is far too talented and her enthusiasm and knowledge will allow her to easily go back if she wants to ... Gabby Gaudet either mat. leave or she might not be back with the hire of Geena Rowland ex. jockey .. I believe both networks do a good job, try listening to HPI here in Toronto, Ont. I think they try hard, .. T. Shrump. Simon Bray, D. Weaver, if you listen and enjoy, they are very light hearted and bring fun to the game. just opinion, I think Fox is good as well, good insight by all involved, not a fan of Andy Serling and his pompous ass.
wiretowire68 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 07:05 PM   #19
totemastergeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
They have the MiG there already.

Judging by his social media, Gary doesn’t seem to be taking the news well. Even going out of his way to bash other current NYRA employees
Good grief, what an asshole.

Not a new opinion.

Being on NYRA telecasts was such a big part of this clown's identity? Or is he racing's Phil Mickelson and needs a job?
totemastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 07:44 PM   #20
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens will not be part of America's Day at the Races telecast's nor NYRA next season.

https://twitter.com/GStevens_jockey/...64873229177207
These situations are always sad, particularly at the end of the calendar year, because like him or not, we are talking about someone's livelihood.

Gary however should be sufficiently seasoned in racing to realize how one leaves a job when released is the foundation for finding the next. Backbiting others who are still associated with ADATR and/or Saratoga Live might feel powerful in the heat of social media rage, but such comments are weak, petty, and foolish.

Some introspection is needed. Critically watch replays of Gary on camera from this summer (or a previous season). Often tongue-tied and straining for words, he was caught off-guard in multiple conversations on-air at Saratoga. Further - and this is a personal view - he seemed unprepared on multiple occasions when it came to non-stakes racing. Often, I felt that I personally had a better grip on the form and the replays. That role needs to show me something - and Gary's delivery just didn't.

Take a look at some of the other jockeys who have done similar work this year on the broadcasts. Richard Migliore. Kendric Carmouche. Rajiv Maragh. Without talking about wins, stakes races, or earnings, which of these three would Gary outshine on television? Honestly, he would have been a distant fourth best.

To see him knocking Jerry Bailey just underscores the point.

With all of the discussion about stewardship at NYRA, I was seriously going to post that Gary would have been an ideal steward candidate. Although not a gifted wordsmith, his experience could immediately rebuild credibility in the steward's stand. But, how could anyone move forward in that direction after some of the backbiting that has been exposed publicly?

Again, how we leave one job is the foundation to finding the next ... or not.

Just maybe Tony Alleveto got it right.

Last edited by ScottJ; 12-20-2023 at 07:46 PM.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 09:05 PM   #21
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Mig is easy to like on every level.
Yes he is. Mig is a treasure
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 04:03 PM   #22
lex

The Mig has always been great and has just improved even more over the years. He's just filled with information and I'd hoped someone would pick him up even back when he was just a guest on some of the Capital OTB shows. Carmouche should definitely be grabbed up for TV if he retires and I think Maragh is also good and getting better. Carmouche and Maragh bring such a great attitude to shows.

I also like Rick Schosberg when he's been on. I like when they have a trainer on to show that side of things. I like Tom Amoss too but I might be alone in that. I generally like it when everyone seems to have a good time together and Amoss really seems to enjoy everyone.

I'm not sure if Stevens was uncomfortable on camera but that's what it seemed like to me. Oh and they should use the regular crew for the national broadcast of the Belmont.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 05:07 PM   #23
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I'm an Amoss fan. I always enjoy his input at Saratoga.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 05:37 PM   #24
SBD400

The whole Americas Day at the Races is top notch, especially Saratoga when there is big team. Stevens is not at that level of broadcasting, that is very clear. Instead of lashing out at others he should look in the mirror.

As an aside there was a period of time where he was doing a segment for MyRacehorse called Jockey Goggles. For a particular horse after a race he would watch the replay and analyze that horses race from a jockey's perspective, he was quite good at it. Ironically they had the Mig do some also and even though I think is a far superior broadcaster then Stevens, I liked Stevens much better at Jockey Goggles than the Mig.

And as another aside, Amoss had a couple of horses for MyRacehorse, he was excellent at providing video updates and interacting with the "owners" at the races, best of any of the trainers MRH uses.

Last edited by SBD400; 12-21-2023 at 05:38 PM.
SBD400 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 06:47 PM   #25
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
I was thinking about this last night, and I believe Gary could be a jockey agent for some upcoming riders.
He's been doing agenting for a while at Oaklawn although with older jockeys. He brought Geovanni Franco and Tiago Pereira to Oaklawn from west coast for 2021-22 season. Franco finished 10th, Pereira 16th in the standings. Pereira went back to So Cal after spending most of 2022 in the midwest. Last year's Oaklawn meet, Stevens had Franco again at the beginning - though he left fairly quickly for SoCal. He also had Nik Juarez, who finished 9th in the standings. This year he has Juarez again. When he picked up Juarez's book last year, he felt he saw a "young Gary Stevens".
BarchCapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 07:42 PM   #26
must ache

best of luck to gary, for a jockey commentator replacement rajiv would do well
must ache is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2023, 10:08 PM   #27
Bullet Plane

I agree, Tom Amos and Migliore are great. But, it sounds like it was budget cuts that led to the situation with Gary. He may have been the last guy hired , or any number of other reasons. I don't think it was because he was bad at the job. He had good info on Oaklawn. Im sure he'll get picked up somewhere else.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2024, 04:53 PM   #28
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Being a great sportsman doesn't necessarily equate to being a great broadcaster so I'm not too surprised that Gary Stevens was given the hook.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:07 PM   #29
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Well, imho, he would certainly not be the first one I'd have fired from that show.

Or the second for that matter.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:36 PM   #30
Arapola

Smile

I don't like anyone losing their job.
Well maybe "The Little Guy"!

Just kidding You crazy man!
Arapola is offline   Reply With Quote Reply