Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
Dexter M
Journeyman

When Serling Talks, Bettors Listen

Fantastic (aren't they all) piece by Andy Beyer about Andy Serling.

Enjoy!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...0ZJ_story.html
Dexter M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
thaskalos

Hopefully...this piece will help in getting Andy Serling the national audience he so richly deserves.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
bigmack

Was that a tip o' the hat or a pass of the baton?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
riskman

When I am wagering at NYRA I try to catch "Talking Horses" on cable or the NYRA live feed. Serling does a solid job with his pre race analysis and information that I do not have at hand. There has been many instances that some tid bits of info led me to do further research into a particular race.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Big Andrew says that high rollers pay attention to Little Andrew's information and analysis and then goes on to talk about how the tote board is affected by his words. He doesnt give specific examples of this phenomenon. Does he know of one (or several) big bettors who actually change their opinions and move money to Little Andy's horses? How can we know for sure if a public handicapper affects the odds dramatically enough to cause people to notice?

I would think that in order for Big Andy to know this, he would have to have interviewed some big bettors and got this from them, yet, he doesnt mention the names of these 'high rollers'.

Why would big bettors alter their picks from someone else's opinion? They didnt get to be 'high rollers' in the first place without having an amazing opinion themselves, right?

At any rate, its a good article, i applaud little andy for his hard work and expertise, many public handicappers just 'mail it in' and collect the paycheck, this guy doesnt mail it in and gives the public incredible information for free. There's very few areas in life where you can get top notch info for free, but this seems to be one of them.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Big Andrew says that high rollers pay attention to Little Andrew's information and analysis and then goes on to talk about how the tote board is affected by his words. He doesnt give specific examples of this phenomenon. Does he know of one (or several) big bettors who actually change their opinions and move money to Little Andy's horses? How can we know for sure if a public handicapper affects the odds dramatically enough to cause people to notice?

I would think that in order for Big Andy to know this, he would have to have interviewed some big bettors and got this from them, yet, he doesnt mention the names of these 'high rollers'.

Why would big bettors alter their picks from someone else's opinion? They didnt get to be 'high rollers' in the first place without having an amazing opinion themselves, right?

At any rate, its a good article, i applaud little andy for his hard work and expertise, many public handicappers just 'mail it in' and collect the paycheck, this guy doesnt mail it in and gives the public incredible information for free. There's very few areas in life where you can get top notch info for free, but this seems to be one of them.
See SRU?

It didn't hurt to give a little credit where credit is due...did it?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
See SRU?

It didn't hurt to give a little credit where credit is due...did it?
Why would it hurt?

The guy works hard, does a very good job according to people who follow him and NY racing, i have no problem acknowledging that this is a smart human being who's a very good handicapper. It doesnt hurt one bit, if it hurt, i wouldnt do it!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

That was a tremendous piece by Andy on Andy. TLG should be very proud about this well deserved praise bestowed upon him by the man himself.

Why, just the other day I called Serling one of the best, if not the best public handicapper on the air and one of the more astute trip handicappers in the game. Glad to see that opinion validated by Mr. Beyer.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
That was a tremendous piece by Andy on Andy. TLG should be very proud about this well deserved praise bestowed upon him by the man himself.

Why, just the other day I called Serling one of the best, if not the best public handicapper on the air and one of the more astute trip handicappers in the game. Glad to see that opinion validated by Mr. Beyer.
Guys like Serling are good for the sport because they show the public that they take their betting and handicapping seriously. Racing needs more people at the forefront that act like handicapping and betting horses is serious business and not some big joke. We need more people like this talking about racing on tv and less of the 'usual suspects' that are polluting the airwaves talking about nonsense.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Guys like Serling are good for the sport because they show the public that they take their betting and handicapping seriously. Racing needs more people at the forefront that act like handicapping and betting horses is serious business and not some big joke. We need more people like this talking about racing on tv and less of the 'usual suspects' that are polluting the airwaves talking about nonsense.
Couldn't agree more...
Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #11
lamboguy

i am not that much of a nyra player, but i happened to have tuned in one day on my twinspires television and caught one of his shows. i was very impressed with the knowledge of trainer intent.i watched him on a day where there was a horse running that i had as a baby, RATOATH SPECIAL, he had stated that the trainer PUCCET, won with priced horses, which i didn't know myself, i even think he knew how my irish partner came up with her name, from a town in ireland. my only problem i had was i expected 10-1 on her and when he got done with the show she was about half that. it did work for me the other way though when he failed to pick the horse that i was playing and i got a much bigger than expected price on him. from my limited experience in watching him, he does have an influence on the odds of horses that he picks, so someone is surely watching his show. he also posses great articulation skills in his broadcast. he probably deserves a spot on a network show some day and might be able to attract new horse racing enthusiasts.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #12
fiveouttasix

TLG is the only public handicapper that I follow. I handicap the NYRA card everyday prior to tuning in to Talking Horses. I watch to make sure I didn't miss anything (many times I have). TLG & I have landed on the same horse many times & usually the odds do not seem lower than I had anticipated.
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveouttasix
TLG is the only public handicapper that I follow. I handicap the NYRA card everyday prior to tuning in to Talking Horses. I watch to make sure I didn't miss anything (many times I have). TLG & I have landed on the same horse many times & usually the odds do not seem lower than I had anticipated.
You obviously have not seen Presque Isle's Katie Mikolay in person. You'd definately follow her.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
JimG

Well deserved recognition! Andy Serling does a tremendous job day in and day out. Definitely the best public handicapper I have observed. We are lucky he also finds time to contribute here at PA.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I don't pay much attention to any handicappers, but I look to see what TLG has to say more often than not.

Nice, Andy

I also love his rapier wit almost as much!