Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
tbwinner

I was counting the Money...and then...

I know there was a DQ thread recently or "bad misses" but for some reason I was thinking today of a big DQ at Gulfstream almost 10 years ago.

Argentine Tango was the horse. The day after Christmas, 2011. I was zero'ed in on this horse, my best bet of the day, biggest live longshot. I think he was 8-1 ML or similar. He had a great Ragozin pattern that looked to be an explosive race.

He went off at 14-1. He made a huge move last to first to win by 2 lengths on the turf. I don't remember for sure or not, but I didn't recall interference while watching.

It was AT LEAST a 10-15 minute decision, I remember because I was on-track at Hawthorne at the time and had left the simul area to go to the paddock while the DQ was being determined.

I was sick. I didn't think he impeded (biased of course) but he was placed 4th. I had *at least* $50 win/place on him and would have had the trifecta playing the fave in 2nd and 3rd spots with a 68-1 shot 2nd (eventual declared winner). Talk about a $2,500++ bummer.

What's your worst?
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
the little guy

He should NEVER have come down. I have not played Gulfstream seriously since ( though I bet a bit in 2016 when I was down there ). The Stewards there have made more than their share of questionable decisions over the years but Argentine Tango was as bad as it gets ( and expensive too ).
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
CBYRacer

Must have been about 15+ years ago by now...

My Dad and I are very light bettors (call it $5-10 max per race) but like the thrill of potentially winning an exacta or trifecta once in awhile.

We scouted out 3 horses for a trifecta box and all three of them were clustered together about 10+ lengths ahead of the rest of the field down the home stretch. All of a sudden, one of the horses jumps the rail (must have been a shadow) and that's all she wrote.
CBYRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
He should NEVER have come down. I have not played Gulfstream seriously since ( though I bet a bit in 2016 when I was down there ). The Stewards there have made more than their share of questionable decisions over the years but Argentine Tango was as bad as it gets ( and expensive too ).
Thank you... I will have to look up a replay but I remember it was questionable -- gives me a little solace that someone else (especially you) remembers it clearly as well...
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It wasn't a DQ exactly and it didn't cost me the most money by a longshot, but the ruling of Pink Lloyd as a non-starter last year still ticks me off a lot. He broke through the gate slightly early, finished fourth, and was somehow ruled a non-starter instead of being DQed to last or left alone. How a horse deemed to have an unfair start, by his own doing, and only runs fourth being declared a non-starter was ridiculous IMO.

I had a big bet on the winner and a two horse exacta box. Of course I still cashed, but I think I got about 25% of what I would have.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
ronsmac

Futural in the Hollywood Gold Cup. I cost me two separate pick 3s. I stopped betting California for about 6 months.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #7
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
Futural in the Hollywood Gold Cup. I cost me two separate pick 3s. I stopped betting California for about 6 months.
I remember that one, I disagreed with it if I recall.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2020, 12:38 AM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I cashed big time on this race. Made about 13-14k.

But I had this race covered also if the 2nd place Horse had gotten up. Years later I was introduced to The MiG while on a trip to Aquaduct. We spent five minutes talking about the race. It was a bad beat in my mind. He told me all about how he tried to time it just right etc. he was great for putting with me. If there were 25 more yards to run.......

Last edited by JustRalph; 08-28-2020 at 12:39 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
thespaah

Well now....Getting Dq'd out of a winning ticket is far more frequent than getting pulled up into a winner.
First, my most memorable and profitable 'pull up' due to DQ was the 1984 Breeders Cup Classic. I had the adjusted exacta after the Stewards pulled down Gate Dancer( The Hooded Monster) from second to third.
I have been DQ'd out of winners too many to mention.
Worst one was getting crushed out of a pick 4 at Belmont in the last leg. I had singled a horse in the 4th leg which "won", but the Stewards DQ'd the horse for interference in mid stretch. It was a marginal amount of bumping. Looking back, I'd say it wasn't a horrible decision by the Stewards. At the time, I was mad enough to spit out chewed nails. I cannot tell you guys how many times my buddies said "calm down"....I think they thought I was gonna do something stupid. Nah....I was mad. But not mad enough to ignore the potential consequences of stupidity
Oh, the probable payout was nearly $2k.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
f2tornado

Had a $6 straight exacta Maximum Security over Country House. Was in line at Canterbury to get my money... and we know the rest of the story.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Had a $6 straight exacta Maximum Security over Country House. Was in line at Canterbury to get my money... and we know the rest of the story.
I agreed with the DQ, and yes, it cost me a lot of money. I really felt that I had crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's that day. Handicapping wise.

I was 4 minutes late for placing a bet that would have paid me the whole P4 pool at Belmont, because of a truck driver that was in a hurry. At least the P3 paid 19k.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2020, 12:54 AM   #12
QuarterCrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
Thank you... I will have to look up a replay but I remember it was questionable -- gives me a little solace that someone else (especially you) remembers it clearly as well...
I just pulled up the replay of this race to check it out; tough call.. Questionable whether the #5 was actually cost a placing by the #4 coming in - I think not - but it does look fairly ugly on the head-on. Argentine Tango did come in about 5 or 6 paths. Either way, tough beat. Sucks to get taken down on a horse that is MUCH the best and winning easily at a price.

I remember one at Parx a few years ago, my horse was like 22-1 or something like that, took the lead off the turn and was pulling away in the stretch and then the jock fell off about 50 yards from the wire... That was pretty bad.

To add insult to injury, I figured it was like chickenpox and once I had that out of my system, I would be immune from racing pestilence (at least for a while), but it was only like a week or two later that I had the same thing happen to me (maybe at Delaware? - I don't remember), a big-priced horse pulling away at the end only for the jock to fall off in deep stretch.

I've had a horse or two jump the rail in the stretch, as well, but it's all just part of the game I guess. Though it seems OUR horse jumps the rail more often than the horse that we're chasing jumps the rail, yes...?
QuarterCrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
v j stauffer

Way back when I was alive to a pretty nice Pick 6 on a carry over day at Laurel. This was before they had will pays and how many tickets were alive. But during the sequence I beat two 3/5 shots and had $16.00 and $40.00 winners. I was singled to an entry in the last that was 6/5. Down the lane they are head and head three or four lengths in front with nobody closing much. Jock on the outside cracks his horse with a big right handed smack. Horse ducks in and pushes his entrymate into the rail. Bothered horse tries to recover but gets beat an inch for 2nd. You can probably figure out the rest.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
classhandicapper

Vic just reminded me of a bad beat I had, though not for nearly as much money.

I was playing on an exchange one day and had a big win bet on a horse that was around 10-1. I also booked a large bet on the short priced favorite in the same race. My horse was making the winning move past another horse in the stretch while the favorite was 3rd but already put away and done. Then the horse I running past bore out badly and smashed into my horse so hard both lost all their action long enough for the favorite come back and win. So not only did I not cash my 10-1, I lost the bet I booked.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Hit some nice tickets,
but, also had a $20 'cold' DD to NEWSPAPEROFRECORD
thought I had another $1k

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: