Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
oddsmaven

Travis Stone doing ML at Saratoga

As soon as I started handicapping the SPA opening day card and then looked at the line, I knew immediately that it couldn't be Eric Donovan.

Did a search - and found that Travis Stone will do the lines for the meet.

Probably means that doubles will have better value than usual with enough people using the line as a guide. I've seen worse ML's at other tracks but they've been very accurate for years at the NYRA tracks and that won't be the case in the weeks ahead.
oddsmaven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddsmaven
As soon as I started handicapping the SPA opening day card and then looked at the line, I knew immediately that it couldn't be Eric Donovan.

Did a search - and found that Travis Stone will do the lines for the meet.

Probably means that doubles will have better value than usual with enough people using the line as a guide. I've seen worse ML's at other tracks but they've been very accurate for years at the NYRA tracks and that won't be the case in the weeks ahead.

Really, dude, was this necessary?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
1st time lasix

yeah ...I thought the post was rather classless. If you don't agree with his morning line fine...but they haven't opened the gates on the first race yet.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Travis is a total professional. I'm sure he'll strive to be the best morning-line maker in the country. I wouldn't bet against him.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Believe Travis mentioned last week on the Twitter it was either this gig..or Bocce Ball...lol

I think he'll do just fine...
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
the little guy

The funniest thing about the initial post is that, especially over the past year, there have been many days when Eric did not even do the line, yet this specific day the OP could tell right away it wasn't him!

I'm calling BS and an indefensibly nasty initial post. As someone that knows Travis well, I will be shocked if he doesn't do a solid job. I'm sure he would be the first to acknowledge he has some very big shoes to fill. I'm quite confident he will get there.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
thaskalos

With a name like "Oddsmaven"...is it any wonder that the original poster here is difficult to satisfy in this aspect of the game?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
oddsmaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
The funniest thing about the initial post is that, especially over the past year, there have been many days when Eric did not even do the line, yet this specific day the OP could tell right away it wasn't him!

I'm calling BS and an indefensibly nasty initial post. As someone that knows Travis well, I will be shocked if he doesn't do a solid job. I'm sure he would be the first to acknowledge he has some very big shoes to fill. I'm quite confident he will get there.
I'll take the rebukes to heart that I worded my post classlessly.

I don't get The Form every day and I thought some lines at Belmont seemed not to be done by the usual guy recently and with the first race at Saratoga it struck me that it couldn't be Eric. I know little of Travis & have no ax to grind - I owe him an apology for wording it in a disparaging way...he obviously is very well liked and I assume, deservedly so.
oddsmaven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddsmaven
I'll take the rebukes to heart that I worded my post classlessly.

I don't get The Form every day and I thought some lines at Belmont seemed not to be done by the usual guy recently and with the first race at Saratoga it struck me that it couldn't be Eric. I know little of Travis & have no ax to grind - I owe him an apology for wording it in a disparaging way...he obviously is very well liked and I assume, deservedly so.
That was nice of you to post.

Good luck this meet.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
That was nice of you to post.

Good luck this meet.
Agreed. Nice to see an acknowledgment of this sort. And I have to add - as Andy alluded to, it's pretty astounding how Travis has moved through the industry from where he started. I won't embarrass him with my recollections of his first online race calls when he was a real young pup, but suffice it to say, I too have seen a guy that turns ambition into success like few others.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

If Travis' ML work will mimic his race calling, he will be the best ML odds maker in the country. Love his calls. Sure his ML work will be great as well.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #12
lamboguy

those morning lines look real good to me, congratulations to Travis for doing a great job again.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #13
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
If Travis' ML work will mimic his race calling, he will be the best ML odds maker in the country. Love his calls. Sure his ML work will be great as well.
I agree.
BTW, Travis is an upstate NY Native.
Lake Luzerne I believe.
Or somewhere in the Saratoga/ Glens Falls area.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #14
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
I agree.
BTW, Travis is an upstate NY Native.
Lake Luzerne I believe.
Or somewhere in the Saratoga/ Glens Falls area.
Good for him. I hope 1 day he calls the SPA full time.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #15
castaway01

Travis has a lot of talent and has done quite well for himself considering he's barely into his 30s. I'm sure he'll do fine with the ML gig.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: