Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 08-23-2020, 09:51 PM   #1
dballard125

Which Derby contenders have Raise A Native?

Last several years there has been a thread here that shows which horses "qualify" w/ RAN in the sire line, final 3/8, final 1/8, etc. Am I missing it somewhere? Appreciate anyone pointing me in the right directions, thanks.
dballard125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2020, 12:44 AM   #2
Vinman

You can look up the Raise A Native connections to each Kentucky Derby contender free of charge at www.pedigreequery.com. I would set the lookup for 6 generations to ensure that you'll see the name of Raise A Native in the pedigree.

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2020, 03:53 AM   #3
Raider

And you can get the charts from Equibase and do the math. Brisnets Form generator is quicker though, but the form will cost you big.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
f2tornado

Do what the others have said as you will lean more... but since I wanted to know myself... Note that several of these probably will not run in the Derby.
Dean Martini
Dr. Post
Ny Traffic
Rushie
Shared Sense
Storm the Court
Thousand Words

Last edited by f2tornado; 08-24-2020 at 07:42 AM.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
Sysonby

Haven't looked at all of them but I know TTL has Raise A Native.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysonby View Post
Haven't looked at all of them but I know TTL has Raise A Native.
While Raise A Native is in his pedigree (and most any horse out there), TTL is from the Bold Ruler sire line (the top line in pedigree). TTL is also a non-Phalaris on the dam side. These are becoming scarce. It was a Derby handicapping angle at one time but I don't recall any strong statistical correlation or impact value.

These are the Raise A Native top line horses from the most recent future wager. I'll probably use those that have a 9F Brisnet LP of 95+ but mainly underneath this year

Dean Martini
Dr. Post
Ny Traffic
Rushie
Shared Sense
Storm the Court
Thousand Words
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #7
Sysonby

Ah ok, didn't realize it has to be top line. Re Phalaris on the dam side, he has that through Medieval Man but maybe it's in the wrong position?
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #8
dballard125

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
While Raise A Native is in his pedigree (and most any horse out there), TTL is from the Bold Ruler sire line (the top line in pedigree). TTL is also a non-Phalaris on the dam side. These are becoming scarce. It was a Derby handicapping angle at one time but I don't recall any strong statistical correlation or impact value.

These are the Raise A Native top line horses from the most recent future wager. I'll probably use those that have a 9F Brisnet LP of 95+ but mainly underneath this year

Dean Martini
Dr. Post
Ny Traffic
Rushie
Shared Sense
Storm the Court
Thousand Words
Thanks brother. Appreciate this. Will look at the resources others recommended as well.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
Raider

Quote:
Do what the others have said as you will lean more... but since I wanted to know myself... Note that several of these probably will not run in the Derby.
Dean Martini
Dr. Post
Ny Traffic
Rushie
Shared Sense
Storm the Court
Thousand Words
I hope your wrong about Thousand Words. Stan's factors are all based on the Derby being run in May, so using them by themselves might not be as effective. Looking at the breeding is useful for guessing if they can make the 10F. Not only does 1000 words have RAN in the sire line, but both Buckpasser in the X passing position and Northern Dancer in the Dam's Sire line. His last 9f was not one of the normal 100 pt race but he hit both the marks in the 6-final and 8-final speed. He is a good looking long shot. For me, its not who wins anymore. Since the point system started, the Fav has won them all. Its about which long shot hits the top four.

This year I don't know that anything anyone has used in the past will work, or not work.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #10
Curln22

Always beware of the other Baffert.
Curln22 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2020, 02:08 AM   #11
dballard125

Thousand Words has Buckpasser and RAN on the dam side, he ran a huge beyer his last time out, and then there's Baffert. Interesting.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:03 AM   #12
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballard125 View Post
Thousand Words has Buckpasser and RAN on the dam side, he ran a huge beyer his last time out, and then there's Baffert. Interesting.
I didn't like his last work, looked to me like he was struggling over the surface.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2020, 06:17 AM   #13
clicknow

Quote:
I don't know that I'm crazy for the BR/RAN thing overall actually. I'm sure you remember Schoolyard Dreams? Of course not as talented as Tiz.

Then you got the flip of that, RAN/BR....Funnycide, Soaring Empire, Super Saver.

I know the non phalaris thing was an angle, but the BR/RAN never was, was it?

I'm trhing to think of who else was BR/RAN besides Schoolyard Dreams?

BTW, you know more about pedigrees than Stan.....he got to be very formulaic and that isn't the point of learning pedigrees, because that buckpasser in the x is like a worn out meme at this point. You know your stuff, I like reading it.

Last edited by clicknow; 08-31-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:43 AM   #14
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballard125 View Post
Last several years there has been a thread here that shows which horses "qualify" w/ RAN in the sire line.
IF you are at all intersted in learning about pedigrees, it really does help to get a subscription to pedigree query, just for a year or 2 if you have an interest.

It's not enough to have the RAN in the sire line, since you won't find any RAN/RIBOTs, or RAN/NEARCTICs that have ever hit the board in the KY Derby, as a "for instance". Not that I know of anyway.

This is why I really "dislike" meme rules and that people try to sell, they are sellable I guess, but doesn't give you the whole picture.

By doing that, you can spend a lazy cold winter, take all the ITM horses in the derby over 20 years, or Belmont, or BCC, and study what they came from.......there really are patterns, and some are more dilute and others are stronger.

It's an interesting project to pass the time, too.

Last edited by clicknow; 08-31-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #15
bks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curln22 View Post
Always beware of the other Baffert.
We should all be Real Quiet about it, yes.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply