Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
castaway01

It's probably best to bet late, but it might be better for your sanity to bet early because then when the odds drop you at least will not blame yourself. The test I would use is if you can bet "early" for 6 months and still show a profit. If you are, don't worry about it and keep on doing so. Maybe avoid the morning-line favorites, figuring they will drop in odds, but that's extremely simplistic and it really depends on the kind of horses you are betting.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
Overlay

With handicappers more than ever needing every edge they can get, and despite the uncertainties that can result from last-minute odds changes, I think that betting as late as possible is still the best means of finding value, and exploiting the one major advantage that pari-mutuel wagering offers in comparison to games where odds are fixed by unchanging mathematical laws, and where players are faced with a negative expectation on every bet.

Last edited by Overlay; 08-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #18
oddsmaven

Betting at the start of the day does not work for me...but I can commit to who I'm going with early in the betting (15-20 mtp).

If I bet at the end, it's generally to determine a proper spread on a few horses underneath my choice with exacta plays.
oddsmaven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #19
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMartin
Any success with betting your selections at the start of the racing day as opposed to waiting for post time to make a decision?
If I'm at the track, I'll wait till about the last 3 minutes-- making sure I get the odds I need. If betting on atw, I'll bet conditionally in the early morning.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #20
ranchwest

I'm betting all non-maiden races at 7 tracks through TwinSpires draft wagers early in the day, long before the races begin.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #21
dav4463

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDownsJoe
I personally dont like to do it at all, unless I am just betting a p3 or p4. I always am looking for value on the board, and its hard to bet value when you dont know what the odds are going to be. I have seen races where the place paid more then the win..If im gonna dump alot on a low odd horse, I want the best value possible. I also use the power tool to look for good exacta payouts. I dont wanna spend 20 bucks on an exacta box if half the payouts arent profitable. Just my opinion..

What is the "power tool" ?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #22
judd

not advisable if your a $200 to win bettor
judd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply