Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Valuist

All Star game

Any interest at all? It used to be the one All-Star game that was legit. The NBA game clearly has no defense and the Pro Bowl is a total joke. Not sure what the NHL has; something about USA vs the world?

But with all the defections, the game has lost its luster a bit. Quite a few pitchers named to the game will not be able to pitch tonight. Out of boredom, I may throw a play down on the OVER 8 1/2 knowing that the staffs are not at full strength.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I used to live for the All Star game, now I couldn't care less. Part of that is I don't follow baseball much at all any longer, but I didn't even know the home run thing was yesterday until I saw the results.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Marshall Bennett

Little or no interest here either. Seems most of the interest in the home run derby wasn't the derby, but the guy that almost fell out of the stands.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Valuist

I can't disagree with the above comments. What is interesting is how totals all over the majors leagues are down a solid run and a half or so per game from 10 years ago, at the height of steroid madness. I think the public does have a mistrust of baseball, knowing that virtually all of the power numbers from 1990-2005 were fraudulent.

Here we are with the NFL locked out and the NBA on the verge of one and MLB can't get out of its own way. Sounds like horse racing.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Before inter-league play the big draw was, besides the World Series, this was the only time the NL and AL played against each other and prior to a lot of the free agency movement, guys stayed in one league or on one team a lot longer. As a kid in the late 60's and early 70's these games were huge and everybody I knew watched them. I was a Cardinal fan so loved it when the NL would beat up on the AL. My son and I will watch some of it but this game has definitely lost much of it's luster. That tie a few years ago did not help.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
cj's dad

The TV ratings in Mexico and the Dominican Republic may exceed ( by % ) those of the USA. I know I don't care.

I'd rather watch re-runs of Man vs. Food.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Ocala Mike

All Star game

I go back to when it was played as a DAY GAME and, yes, it was a highlight of the season.

My takes on why it's diminished now (and none of these require one to be a rocket scientist):

1. Interleague play.

2. Players being traded interleague the norm.

3. Players "opting out" of playing in the game (for whatever reason).

4. Surge in popularity of other pro and college sports.

Ocala Mike
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
ArlJim78

I have more interest now in the home run derby than the all star game, and that ain't sayin much. Years ago the all star game was must see TV. It seemed like a big deal back then, like the guys were really playing as if there was something important on the line. Maybe I was young and imagined all that. The lack of inter-league play back then probably made a big difference I suppose.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
oddsmaven

when i was young (1960's) it was a great to watch...there was no espn, etc. so you couldn't watch the stars whenever you wanted...the all-star game was a rare opportunity...the luster is way down.
oddsmaven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

that near-fall is the only time I heard about the HR Derby, although I wasn't looking at sports sites nor going out of my way to find baseball news.

I think I read one story about the upcoming AS game, about the players missing.

No, I don't watch BB on TV anymore - I don't watch TV period. Don't have a working one since they changed from analog to digital. I rarely miss it.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 07-12-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I agree with the others who said interleague play has hurt this game, but I too lost interest well before that began. It's hard to say why, but it does coincide with when I began buying the Form and handicapping every day. Also, they used to play it like a real game. Now it starts late and goes on forever and has the same useless feel as NFL's Pro Bowl.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
The TV ratings in Mexico and the Dominican Republic may exceed ( by % ) those of the USA. I know I don't care.

cjsdad.....Man vs Food...great show. i also watch Noooo reseverations bourdain has a few books out. that guy is nuts

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
ArlJim78

thinking back I think oddsmaven makes the best point. I lived in an American league town, and you didn't often get to see a Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Johnny Bench etc.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
Valuist

At 7 1/2 the over is definitely the play....
Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
That's on tonight? Damn, I'm going to miss it...

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply