Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #451
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Taking down some monster pots and getting on a heater in Poker, makes everything seem light and happy, even Ann Coulter......Even your bookies are happy for you!
You know you are on a losing streak when your bookies are sending you "Get Well" cards. But, you know what they say..."losing builds character".
Old 02-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #452
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
You know you are on a losing streak when your bookies are sending you "Get Well" cards. But, you know what they say..."losing builds character".
I hear you're quite a character...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #453
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #454
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Wow, Dan is getting desperate, quoting a conservative writer at a conservative publication.

As it happens, David French is very familiar with these issues. He is an attorney (concentrating his practice in constitutional law and the law of armed conflict), and a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

As he points out in the article, Trump's authority to use troops on the border is questionable, and there is no way he has any authority to use the military or DOD funds to build a wall.
Quote:
But let’s suppose that a court decides to grant even that degree of deference to the president. Let’s suppose that even in the total absence of armed conflict or the prospect of armed conflict that courts will buy Trump’s argument that the armed forces must deploy to the border. Even then, the statute limits their use. They can only “undertake military construction projects . . . that are necessary to support such use of the armed forces.”

The border wall does not fit that definition. How do we know? Because Congress has defined these terms. Let’s turn over to 10 U.S.C. 2801. It defines “military construction” as “any construction, development, conversion, or extension of any kind carried out with respect to a military installation, whether to satisfy temporary or permanent requirements, or any acquisition of land or construction of a defense access road.”

The intent is clear — to grant the military the power to build out military installations, and a “military installation” is a “base, camp, post, station, yard, center, or other activity under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of a military department or . . . without regard to the duration of operational control.”
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...f-rule-of-law/
Old 02-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #455
Clocker

Somebody didn't read the bill before signing it, or properly delegate that task. And odds are few if any GOP senators knew what was in it when they passed it.

Quote:
Democratic negotiators have further outfoxed Trump, as Daniel Horowitz’s review of the nearly 1,200-page legislative monstrosity revealed, by banning any concrete border barriers or new prototypes and allowing only a measly 55 miles of steel fencing and bollards. To build a significant wall, Trump will not only have to allocate money over the heads of Congress; he will also have to ignore the construction provisions of this latest budget bill.
https://www.city-journal.org/trump-n...cy-border-wall
Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #456
Clocker

Sixteen states, all blue (surprise!), have filed suit to stop Trump's emergency actions on the border. The suit was filed with the Ninth Circuit (surprise, surprise!!).

Quote:
Everyone knew it was coming from the moment the President suggested he was going to declare an emergency to fund the border wall. The members of the press knew it. The individual states were telegraphing their punches. The President himself knew it, predicting he would lose in the Ninth Circuit but perhaps win at the Supreme Court. There were always going to be lawsuits over the emergency declaration and now they’ve begun.
Trump thinks he can "perhaps win" at SCOTUS?

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/02/...wall-lawsuits/
Old 02-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #457
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Sixteen states, all blue (surprise!), have filed suit to stop Trump's emergency actions on the border. The suit was filed with the Ninth Circuit (surprise, surprise!!).

Trump thinks he can "perhaps win" at SCOTUS?

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/02/...wall-lawsuits/
Both sides win on this issue. Trump wins politically with his base whether the wall gets built or not. The Dems win politically with their base whether the wall gets built or not.

I don't think winning in the 9th Circuit or SCOTUS is all that relevant to the real purpose of the fight.

... and it ain't the wall.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #458
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Both sides win on this issue. Trump wins politically with his base whether the wall gets built or not. The Dems win politically with their base whether the wall gets built or not.

I don't think winning in the 9th Circuit or SCOTUS is all that relevant to the real purpose of the fight.

... and it ain't the wall.
Little victories. Everyone loses in the long run if Trump is allowed to defy the Constitution, ignore the laws passed by Congress, and do whatever he pleases.

You are right, the issues go beyond the wall. They address the constitutional limits on the presidency.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #459
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Without an emergency he can get most of the 5 billion right now, now problem.
The rest, he will have plenty of leverage later in the year to force the dems to capitulate on it or forfeit billions more in the budget when limits kick in.

Not a good idea to set precedent that the libs will undoubtedly use later on.
Guns, climate, speech, elections......
Old 02-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #460
tucker6

Quote:
Little victories. Everyone loses in the long run if Trump is allowed to defy the Constitution, ignore the laws passed by Congress, and do whatever he pleases.

You are right, the issues go beyond the wall. They address the constitutional limits on the presidency.
I don’t know how old you are, but I’ve become jaded to your central point in this post.. I’ve seen too many on both sides deny the spirit of the founders, the constitution, and the needs of America for personal and party gain. So forgive me if I don’t care any longer.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #461
Clocker

Quote:
I’ve seen too many on both sides deny the spirit of the founders, the constitution, and the needs of America for personal and party gain.
How does that apply to anything I have said or advocated? How did I "deny" the spirit of the founders or the Constitution? I don't have a dog in this fight, or a party, or any chance at personal gain.

Do you deny that Trump using a declaration of "emergency" to have the military build a wall would be contrary to existing law, and therefore unconstitutional?
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #462
tucker6

Quote:
How does that apply to anything I have said or advocated? How did I "deny" the spirit of the founders or the Constitution? I don't have a dog in this fight, or a party, or any chance at personal gain.
Re-read my post again. I wasn’t talking about you but politicians.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #463
tucker6

Quote:

Do you deny that Trump using a declaration of "emergency" to have the military build a wall would be contrary to existing law, and therefore unconstitutional?
No I do not agree with you. Congress ceded its authority. It will be a close vote and I can see it going either way.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #464
Clocker

Quote:
Re-read my post again. I wasn’t talking about you but politicians.
My error!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #465
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Without an emergency he can get most of the 5 billion right now, now problem.
The rest, he will have plenty of leverage later in the year to force the dems to capitulate on it or forfeit billions more in the budget when limits kick in.

Not a good idea to set precedent that the libs will undoubtedly use later on.
Guns, climate, speech, elections......
Agreed...posted as such in other threads earlier...gonna come back and bite us all....hopefully the court will do it's job...and shoot this shit down...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: