Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 07-12-2021, 01:55 AM   #1
BIG RED
Son O'War

Off or On?

Real simple question to ask out.
When I retire for the day, should I shut off my computer or leave it on with nothing running? I've heard confusing things before. I have a new computer and use it every day at home. I just want it to last.
You guys are smart around here with electronics, so appreciate a little nudge.
TY
Old 07-12-2021, 03:08 AM   #2
talcen

Quote:
It is best to shut down your computer when you don't need to use it for a while and to save power. Shutting down your computer also allows it to run faster with a clear RAM.

besides, obama/biden are watching you 24/7 if always on.
talcen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 03:11 AM   #3
tupper

Turn the computer off when not using it for a significant length of time.

By always leaving your computer on, you wasting electricity and constantly generating heat inside your computer. In addition, you are continually leaving your computer open for attack if it is connected to the Internet.

Turn off your computer when not using it, and also turn off your modem/router (which can also be compromised).
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

This has been a debate in IT for a long time. Is 24/7 heat worse than the initial surge of electricity when cold booting a PC? There is no clear answer because it depends on a lot of factors like quality of electronic components, how often the dust is cleaned from the internal components including case/cpu fans, etc. FWIW I've been shutting down all my computers at night since I have owned one. And I agree 100% with @tupper.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I'm not sure it really matters anymore.

If you're going to leave it on, you best be sure to have a backup UPS running to protect it in case the power goes out...in fact...you should ALWAYS have a backup UPS running on your PC.

Power surges and fluctuations are definitely one thing that can mess up your PC.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-12-2021 at 09:13 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I'm not sure it really matters anymore.

If you're going to leave it on, you best be sure to have a backup UPS running to protect it in case the power goes out...in fact...you should ALWAYS have a backup UPS running on your PC.

Power surges and fluctuations are definitely one thing that can mess up your PC.
a backup UPS would be like a generator.. when my power goes down it takes about 6 seconds for my generator to kick in. the computer and other electronic equipment still shuts off and turns back on with the switch.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
a backup UPS would be like a generator.. when my power goes down it takes about 6 seconds for my generator to kick in. the computer and other electronic equipment still shuts off and turns back on with the switch.
a backup UPS is a battery...it's always on...so your computer wouldn't even know anything happened...it will keep humming along...and if the battery starts to run out, it will shut the computer down properly.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
CheckMark

I have a Apple MacBook Pro laptop and when I am finished for the day I usually leave it running or "on" but make sure to close tabs and other programs running so the battery does not drain before I put the screen down. When I go back on it the next day my battery only goes down like 2-3% at the most 5% if I leave a program running in the background.

Have had it for a few years now and have had no trouble with the battery or fan which is surprising actually.

I do have Avast Antivirus but only the free one since this version is good enough to be protected on Chrome or anything that I do on my computer. It does save me from opening things that I shouldn't and warns me right away over the screen.

I am not that computer savvy but I think that is all I need to do for my computer life lol.

Last edited by CheckMark; 07-12-2021 at 06:56 PM.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #9
BIG RED
Son O'War

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
This has been a debate in IT for a long time. Is 24/7 heat worse than the initial surge of electricity when cold booting a PC?
This is what I have heard also, that's why I asked here. I am on my desk top all hours of the day, here and there and also long periods of time. Only time I know that it would actually be idle would be when I go away for a bit, which I would shut it down. ( just more afraid of leaving anything on). I keep mine clean always of dust and such, so I guess you guys say shut er down.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

If you keep it clean. Leave it on. Turn off the monitor

If your sleep mode works properly, use it.

I am of the school of “powering up” is the hardest thing you can do to a system. Especially hard drives.

But they are 100% better than they used to be……….
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
If you keep it clean. Leave it on. Turn off the monitor

I am of the school of “powering up” is the hardest thing you can do to a system. Especially hard drives.

But they are 100% better than they used to be……….

That is true. I think the right course of action should be determined by your local power company. If you live in an area where voltage spikes, drops and outages are common (Where I live) shut the computer down after it is done for the day, if your power is reliable leave it on.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #12
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
The thing is, if your sleep mode powers down your hard drive, you are putting the same wear and tear on the drive as if you just shut down the computer. The drive still has to start up from a dead standstill, and starting up from sleep mode can actually wear the drive more than a boot if the drive is fragmented and the head has to jump around to read the fragmented sleep swap file.

Of course, if you don't use sleep mode, then your drive is wearing down from the constant spinning.

And again, by keeping the computer on, you are continually generating heat in some of the components, and, worst of all, you are leaving your computer constantly exposed to attack (even if it is in sleep mode).

Folks, turn off your computer if it will be sitting idle for a for a significant amount of time.

Also, consider using an SSD instead of a hard drive.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #13
Marshall Bennett

Most machines both mechanical and electrical that have moving parts fair better operating than constantly being turned off and on.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #14
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Most machines both mechanical and electrical that have moving parts fair better operating than constantly being turned off and on.
Turning on a PC once in the morning is NOT constantly. But there is no conclusive evidence to say that one method is better than the other so do what you want.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Anybody with actual ancient hard drives still being used as a boot drive...please investigate SSDs....especially NVME M.2 drives...they have come down in price and are infinitely FASTER than traditional hard drives (and much faster than traditional SSDs in many cases)...plus they have no moving parts...so are much less susceptible to what we are discussing here.