Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-09-2021, 12:27 PM   #196
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I spent this past Monday night going over all my wagers that I placed over this past weekend. The dust from Breeders Cup weekend has finally settled, and “MY” number one lesson and take away from this debacle? Is that going forward I simply can’t accept taking losses on wagers that I win.
This is classic……..

Great post, it says it all in a nutshell
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #197
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Note to Dilanesp.....I barely ever open your posts....and I certainly don't read epic tomes from you ( or anyone...except maybe CJ ). Don't bother. Get a hobby. If you haven't read the new Gary Shteyngart book, I highly recommend it. The new Franzen book is great as well.
You sure respond to a lot of stuff you don't open.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #198
Track Phantom

I haven't read this whole thread so maybe this was discussed but why not have the rule allow the horizontal wagers with the #1 Modern Games in the field but make him ineligible for in-race betting? I realize it might be difficult to administer tote-wise but aside from that, it seems the most fair outcome.

In other words, if you bet in-race, you get a refund with #1 as an "in-race" scratch. If you have the #1 in the pick 3's, 4's, and so on, the #1 is still in the "horizontal" wagers.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #199
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
I haven't read this whole thread so maybe this was discussed but why not have the rule allow the horizontal wagers with the #1 Modern Games in the field but make him ineligible for in-race betting? I realize it might be difficult to administer tote-wise but aside from that, it seems the most fair outcome.

In other words, if you bet in-race, you get a refund with #1 as an "in-race" scratch. If you have the #1 in the pick 3's, 4's, and so on, the #1 is still in the "horizontal" wagers.
But that is the whole problem, they can't do it because the technology is outdated and can't keep up with the ever growing list of exotic bets being offered. Even if it could, the people in charge always seem to miss a few possibilities of things that can go wrong in a horse race.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #200
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
But that is the whole problem, they can't do it because the technology is outdated and can't keep up with the ever growing list of exotic bets being offered. Even if it could, the people in charge always seem to miss a few possibilities of things that can go wrong in a horse race.
I think that sums up what you an I concluded several pages back.

Even if a well intentioned group came up with a set of rules that most horseplayers would be happier with, the tote system will have to be upgraded to handle some of the possibilities.

It wouldn't have helped most people in this case, but one of the changes I think should eventually be made is adding "alternates". A lot of horse players key against short priced horses. The last thing they want is to have their money switched to the horse they are betting against because he's the favorite. It should be switched to their backup. Also, since people will have different backups, that will help the players that originally bet the post time favorite. Less money will flood their horse.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #201
classhandicapper

I want to say one thing about human error.

I've been a passionate horse player for over 45 years. I think about handicapping and betting strategy virtually every single day of my life. I have data coming out of my butt. All you have to do is look at some of my wagers during the Breeder's Cup to see that it's tough to eliminate human error.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #202
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post

I can only see this being a solution if you're referring to previous horizontals. If you could place a forward horizontal, that would be the same as an in-race wager. Of course, that would make the technology issue even more complex, but it's not the most complex situation in geekdom.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #203
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I want to say one thing about human error.

I've been a passionate horse player for over 45 years. I think about handicapping and betting strategy virtually every single day of my life. I have data coming out of my butt. All you have to do is look at some of my wagers during the Breeder's Cup to see that it's tough to eliminate human error.
If you want to get truly philosophical, things that increase the variance of gambling activities are good for the pools.

There's a reason few people bet on chess. There's no variance. The good players always beat the lesser ones.

All the various things, including the human elements- trainers, jockeys, stewards, weird accidents, etc.- which add variance to horse racing create situations where in the short term, neophytes and bad players and losing players can win and even occasionally hit big.

That's EXACTLY what you actually want if you are a long term winning player. It's just like if poker were a game where the fish just sit down and always lose and never get lucky, they'd just never play. You need variance- even some crazy forms of variance- or you won't be able to beat the game.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #204
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
You sure respond to a lot of stuff you don't open.
Well played!
Old 11-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #205
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
and by the way, I've heard from several people in the industry who think very poorly of you...
Given what I know about the "racing industry" (and it's a lot over like 30 years of experience), that should be considered a COMPLIMENT.

The amount of sheer incompetence in this industry, at almost EVERY level and almost every jurisdiction, is breathtaking at times.

I'd be more concerned if they thought very highly of him.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 11-18-2021 at 12:41 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #206
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Given what I know about the "racing industry" (and it's a lot over like 30 years of experience), that should be considered a COMPLIMENT.

The amount of sheer incompetence in this industry, at almost EVERY level and almost every jurisdiction, is breathtaking at times.

I'd be more concerned if they thought very highly of him.
Wait, that clown posted that to me??? That’s so funny.

Maybe I should start opening more than 1 out of 20 of his posts.

I think I’ll pass…..tempting as it may be. Too funny.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #207
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Wrestlemania?
Steel Cage Match?

btw, count me squarely on Team Andy!

Last edited by Tom; 11-18-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #208
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Wait, that clown posted that to me??? That’s so funny.

Maybe I should start opening more than 1 out of 20 of his posts.

I think I’ll pass…..tempting as it may be. Too funny.
I make no claim that the racing industry is full of good people. I just think it's interesting that folks that I wouldn't really know from Adam actually e-mailed me and said nasty stuff about you when they saw you were insulting me here.

That's, let's just say, not something that happens to most people.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #209
dilanesp

Quote:
I make no claim that the racing industry is full of good people. I just think it's interesting that folks that I wouldn't really know from Adam actually e-mailed me and said nasty stuff about you when they saw you were insulting me here.

That's, let's just say, not something that happens to most people.
(And, I should add, certainly not most people with a public facing role on television. Most such folks have a different approach to their interactions with the public than you seem to.)

Last edited by dilanesp; 11-18-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #210
sharkey11

track employees look at players like they are captive . anytime those employees incompetence gets called out it reverts to the paying customers that get labeled as the dregs of the game. when it all comes down to some one who cant do there job .these people have taken the same view for decades . to them we are all just another mark to be taken down.as to all your so called emails they must be from other employees !
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: