Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #31
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Yes, he was on Thoroughbred Action on Sportschannel that he created as has been listed in most obituaries.

My problem? I wish I had only one.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #32
Zman179
Registered Wacko

I absolutely loved Harvey, I would watch the Thoroughbred Action show on SportsChannel almost nightly from the time I started following racing in 1982. One of the Packisms that he said once that I still remember:

“When you come out to Aqueduct on a Saturday or Sunday, the A train from the city to the track takes about an hour. If you had a bad day, the ride home takes two hours.” He was soooo right!

Harvey was the best.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2021, 05:20 PM   #33
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
thank you
Old 07-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #34
andicap

John DaSilva told me he was banned from appearing on Harvey's show because he joined Pack in throwing the program at the camera at the end.

There was only ONE Harvey Pack. A New York legend in the vein of Toots Shor and Damon Runyon.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:34 PM   #35
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
Good stuff. He did a bonus show 'races of the decade' once or twice and I remember Harvey was impressed by Angel's confidence that he won the photo with Broad Brush in the big cap. That show was so good I actually looked forward to the end of the next decade.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #36
burnsy
self medicated

Harvey brought my generation into handicapping. That show on the Sports channel was the only one I cared about on the channel. Back then upstate NY got diddely for coverage especially if you really wanted to learn. We had to call a 900 number (track line) just to get results. My friend worked at the hospital to pay for school. The hospital couldn’t figure out who was calling Track Line so they had it blocked. To this day I use some his stuff to sniff out false favorites and it still works. That show was must watch TV for me and my friends. Some of you guys are too young to know the show. One guy posted he didn’t have any Schtick . That’s ridiculous, 50% of his show was Harvey’s wit and jokes. I actually learned a lot from that show and he made it funny/fun. The best shows though were the ones at Siros. He would use terms and slang that only horseplayers would get. I remember getting his book there and having him sign it. Really nice guy, the fact that he loves this shit like many of us do…… came thru in every thing he did. It was near the latter part of the meet. Before the last commercial break he said. “Little Andy’s gonna give you one in the 9th……. This ones gonna get you out for the meet!” I’ll never forget that. They should put him across the street from Saratoga in the Hall Of Fame. Haven’t been over there in a while maybe he is. He really should be, I’ve never seen anything like those shows. He mentored much of my generation into this game. That guy did things for this game that really can’t be quantified. RIP. Ambassador of Horse Racing!

Last edited by burnsy; 07-07-2021 at 06:53 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #37
SharpCat

RIP Harvey may the horse be with you.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2021, 09:02 PM   #38
aaron

Harvey was the best ! The Paddock Club before it was televised thru out the track was a must attend if you were at the track. Never knew what he might say. Two of my favorite days at the track were Swale's Belmont with Harvey and Andy Beyer and a day when Oscar Barrera was in his prime and a player asked Harvey what are you going to do about Oscar ? Harvey paused and said I don't know what you are going to do,but I am going to bet him. Great memories from the best ambassador NY racing ever had.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #39
Johnny V

Harvey Pack R.I.P. Pack at the Track. He was such a great personality and a credit to racing and horseplayers loved him. I ran into him a few times and spoke briefly with him on an occasion or two but once I had a great conversation with him at Monmouth Park. I told him I hoped he would write a book someday. He was just a great guy to talk with. R.I.P.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I've been away for a few days, which included not looking at any news or this board. So I am seeing this thread for the first time and just now learning the very sad news of Harvey Pack's passing.

Harvey was a true original, an innovator and a helluva funny guy. He probably should have been doing standup comedy during his heyday, but instead went into a profession where he ended up having a lot more fun.

And we're all better off for it.

Over the years, I've met many of the "names" in this game in person, but I will always regret never having the pleasure of meeting Harvey Pack.

May the horse be with him indeed.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #41
Andy Asaro

Bill Christine sent this to me.

One day by chance, I was seated at Aqueduct at the same table as Mickey Rooney.

During the course of the day, Rooney said that all his wives and all the horses had cost him millions. He also said that he had just been to the races in Beirut and they were running for the Triple Zircon Award.

"I got it under control now," Mickey said. "I got a real good wife and I don't bet nearly as much on the horses as I used to."

A little later, I found myself in the betting line just behind Mickey. The horses were on the track for the post parade

Mickey got to the window and said: "Gimmee 200 across on the six."

That was a $600 bet.

As Mickey took a half-step away from the window, Harvey Pack came rushing up.

"The six has got a bar shoe!" Pack shouted to Rooney.

Mickey wheeled back, slapped his ticket on the counter and said: "Reverse this!"

The clerk turned the ticket upside down, ran it through the scanner and gave Mickey his money back.

Like a chump, I still bet the six. "Pack at the Track" was the name of his show. I should have listened to Harvey.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...ck-dies-at-94/
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2023, 08:44 AM   #42
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

BUMP:

A stakes race at Saratoga has been named in Harvey's honor.
Formerly known as the Lucky Coin, a 5.5f turf sprint is now named for Harvey, and that makes me happy.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:22 AM   #43
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Great news!
Old 03-08-2023, 05:13 PM   #44
Brass Hat

Excellent that a race has been named after him. The Siro seminars were always entertaining with Harvey's quips. Especially enjoyed his shared annoyance at the West Point Thoroughbred ad with the yelling guy on the telephone.

Thanks to my great wife, we were able to go on Art Kaufman's European racing tour, the last time it was held, as he unfortunately passed away a year after, a great person. Pack had supposedly been on one of the trips. After one of the seminars she went up to him and asked if he had any advice for the trip. "Yes", he said, "Don't Go!"
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #45
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Hat View Post
Excellent that a race has been named after him. The Siro seminars were always entertaining with Harvey's quips. Especially enjoyed his shared annoyance at the West Point Thoroughbred ad with the yelling guy on the telephone.

Thanks to my great wife, we were able to go on Art Kaufman's European racing tour, the last time it was held, as he unfortunately passed away a year after, a great person. Pack had supposedly been on one of the trips. After one of the seminars she went up to him and asked if he had any advice for the trip. "Yes", he said, "Don't Go!"
Harvey made much more fun of the people that he liked than the ones he didn't. He liked Art a lot.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply