Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 08-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
linrom1
Veteran

ADW killed the racing star

Harper at Del Mar is right, I could care less if CT handle was $2 Billion a day, I still would not bet a penny there. I want to see the sport of champions: Alydar against Affirmed and not some $5k claimers racing in an oval bull ring ad nauseum.

Years ago when it all had started, it was my prediction that ADW would end up killing horseracing---- and I was right! When Frank Stronach first burst on the racing scene by buying racetracks like Gulfstream, he said that "racing" is all about generating excitement and cheering for your horse to win --another words -- it's a rush and a spectator sport. Several years later, Frank raised the grandstands at Gulfstream to the ground and built something that looks like a prison or a bus terminal and now no one goes there anymore--attendance is down, handle is down and the track is completely uneconomical. ADW and Frank Stronach's mismanagement killed Gulfstream Park.

Horseracing is more about racing horses than betting, although most here won't understand this simple fact. The Queen of England races horses and as many other owners, they don't bet. Does this make them than less of horseracing fans than gamblers are? Most kids in America grow up playing baseball or football. They come to know the sport and learn to understand it as they grow up and in later years they become sports enthusiasts and spectators. By focusing only on ADW and giving up on on-track attendance, the racing industry is undermining its very own existence and foundation that other sports nurture.

Most people will not wager on horseracing even where it is legal, because they have never been to a racetrack, have never seen a race on TV as neither have any of their friends.

The best outcome for horseracing future would be if the US Justice Department officially adjudicates that all forms of internet gambling are illegal.

Link
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

ADW probably SAVED racing.
On track is a limited option that will never fly today.
Racing is all about betting.
Racing without betting is called "show horses."
Old 08-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
betovernetcapper

Linrom1, I'm missing something here-how does my betting races with an ADW prevent someone who for whatever reason wants to visit a track?

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
ddog

Let the Queen race her horse for fun if she wants.

racing here started in a field with your horse against mine and yes wagers were involved.

i don't give 2cents about Affirmed v Alydar, the great vast majority of horse owners/breeders/trainers will never race on that scale.

that's the population that needs wagering and you will not get people to spend 3-5 hours a day driving to a track to wager.
Sure if you have nothing to do and don't need to work that's an option.

His remarks are not reality, just Elitest mumbo-jumbo.
For his one market and the other short one of a kind meets that may work but it won't work across the board.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by betovernetcapper
Linrom1, I'm missing something here-how does my betting races with an ADW prevent someone who for whatever reason wants to visit a track?
Read through linrom's old posts and you'll see that it is he who is missing something...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Linrom,

So, if there is no wagering except at the track, do you think that the people who go to the track will be able to support horse racing by themselves?

Personally, I think not.

Racing, especially at the little tracks, will be finished.

That would be MY opinion (but I would wager that I am not alone).

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

What hurt racing (not killed it) was the foolish, short sighted pricing model tracks gave each other at the onset of the simulcasting era.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Linrom,

So, if there is no wagering except at the track, do you think that the people who go to the track will be able to support horse racing by themselves?

Personally, I think not.

Racing, especially at the little tracks, will be finished.
Which undoubtably linrom would love to see happen. He's been posting for years that the only worthwhile racing is the very cream of the crop stuff among royally-bred horses. He sounds like he would be happy if the only horse racing in the country was a 2-week meet at Keeneland each year with no betting allowed...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
NoCal Boy

ADW works for all with premium signal fees at 7-8% and open access. If Tracknet and TVg were to resolve their differences and bring open wagering access to all tracks on all ADW platforms, there would be an increase in handles and revenues for tracks, horsemen and ADW alike.

It is complete absurdity to believe ADW is not critical to racing today and in the future. People forget the horse industry is not just the racing aspect, but it needs the racing aspect to make it the economic engine it is.

Given the horse industry's clout on both sdes of Congress, any actions by the DOJ would simply let the people who favor widespread internet gambling a chance to align themselves withthe powerful horse industry. By banning all but state lotteries, fanstasy sports and horse racing, the US can keep online poker out and keep the horse lobbyists away from the online poker lobbyists. Toy with racing and the result could be the legalization of more than just horses in the end.
NoCal Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Wow! and I thought his political outlook was F@#ked..........

Linrom, you are just out of it, no matter the planet.

You are an Arab aren't you? You attitude sounds like it.............

"Royally Bred Horses" etc...........
Old 08-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
Zman179
Registered Wacko

If ADW or simulcasting didn't exist, then we would be talking about horseracing in the past tense. Au contraire, simulcasting saved racing (like Tom said.)

ADW serves its purpose because it gains revenue from people who might not ordinarily bet that day. It's not always easy to hop in the car, or even worse the bus, and drive to the local OTB or track to place a bet when wifey hands you the "honeydew list." However, it's easy as pie to turn on the computer and place a few bets down.

The only thing that simulcasting and ADW did was increase the convenience factor, which in turn killed attendance. If racing was really dead, then handle would be steadily declining. But it's not.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
Maji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
It's not always easy to hop in the car, or even worse the bus, and drive to the local OTB or track to place a bet when wifey hands you the "honeydew list." However, it's easy as pie to turn on the computer and place a few bets down.
Hey... are you talking about me?
Maji is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Wow! and I thought his political outlook was F@#ked..........

Linrom, you are just out of it, no matter the planet.

You are an Arab aren't you? You attitude sounds like it.............

"Royally Bred Horses" etc...........
Come on, even before I was old enough to vote I supported McGovern and Edward Kennedy. Then it was Jimmy Carter, Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton and Clinton again, Al Gore, Kerry and Hillary and Bill in 2008. As you can see, I am as main stream as they come.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #14
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
What hurt racing (not killed it) was the foolish, short sighted pricing model tracks gave each other at the onset of the simulcasting era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
... ADW serves its purpose because it gains revenue from people who might not ordinarily bet that day. It's not always easy to hop in the car, or even worse the bus, and drive to the local OTB or track to place a bet when wifey hands you the "honeydew list." However, it's easy as pie to turn on the computer and place a few bets down.

The only thing that simulcasting and ADW did was increase the convenience factor, which in turn killed attendance. If racing was really dead, then handle would be steadily declining. But it's not.
You two covered it pretty well. I would only add two things: 1) ADWs allow the infirm and geographically isolated to participate, and 2) ADWs did dramatically reduce TV exposure, at least to NOT-YET-BETtors, and in all these years have still not provided us with a suitable live-viewing, off-track experience.

Last edited by Indulto; 08-19-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
Zman179
Registered Wacko

I would amend cj's statement to say that "the foolish, short sighted pricing model tracks gave each other at the onset of the simulcasting era" was so only to the major tracks (i.e. California, New York, etc.) It certainly was a boon to the third-rung tracks because the lion's share of wagering at smaller venues takes place on simulcasting and not on live racing.

Last edited by Zman179; 08-19-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply