Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #16
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Was that Cervaza? Effin' BRILLIANT ride.

Edit: Didn't see you said today. He rode the Puype trained Cervaza last weekend at a mile on the turf. Serious lessons all around.
I wish we could bring what he knows now, back to 12 years ago.

Smarty Jones would've gotten the credit that he deserved.

Nevertheless, happy to see him doing well in CALI
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #17
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Give a big shoutout to Rosario Montanez at aqu in the first race on Jan 14 with Rich n Tuck, this one move closer broke like a shot but was taken in hand on his own dropping back and allowed to settle in his pref style, there could have been a tendency for the jock to want to rush considering the nature of the speed favoring surface of late, but this horse was ridden exactly how he needed to be ridden, sensational ride.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Can't Desormeaux in the 7th at SA. What a move at the 5/8's.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #19
dilanesp

Stewart Elliott on the maiden claimer Very Hot in the 2nd on 1/27 at Santa Anita. He got on the lead going 1 1/16 miles and then just slowed the pace down to a crawl, conserving his horse. Then he opened at the top of the stretch and was able to hang on at 6 to 1 against the closing rush of the second favorite.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #20
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Stewart Elliott on the maiden claimer Very Hot in the 2nd on 1/27 at Santa Anita. He got on the lead going 1 1/16 miles and then just slowed the pace down to a crawl, conserving his horse. Then he opened at the top of the stretch and was able to hang on at 6 to 1 against the closing rush of the second favorite.
To add a 1A to Elliott an amazing job of horsemanship staying aboard winning causeway in the 5th yesterday at Santa Anita, watch the stretch head on, he got knocked off the horse and was a miracle he stayed aboard to finish a placed 3rd, if he falls off there might have been an accident as there was a horse directly behind him, spectacular job holding on.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #21
dilanesp

Bryan Pena on Gianis in the 9th at Santa Anita on Sunday, February 12.

Gianis was 30 to 1. Pena figured out that all the favorites had gotten themselves into a massive speed duel, and took his longshot back, saved ground all the way, and waited for the pace to fall apart. When it did, he was able to find a seam in between tiring horses and outdueled a 5 to 1 shot in the final 1/16th. Great job on a longshot.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 AM   #22
ultracapper

Pena is perhaps in the infant stages of building a reputation as a rider of late closing runners. Many of his wins have come from deep stretch runners. They haven't even been the type that start a sustained run at the 3/8ths pole and ultimately wear down the pace setters. They have been with horses that he has waited until the 3/16ths pole, assessed the situation, and then put the hammer down. It may be that he has a knack for conserving his horse, and then being an opportunist of sorts. He reminds me of TBaze a bit in that he has an inclination to put his horse on the rail at the 1/2 mile pole and hug it around the far turn. He hasn't shown a real desire to ride the rail to the finish, a move that TBaze has become quite proficient at, as the winners I've noticed him ride in this fashion have been swung off the rail a path or 2, or however far he feels he needs to get out.

I have gained more and more confidence in him over the past few months, and though I'm not quite looking for him when I handicap, I don't shy away from him when I find him on one of my contenders, particularly if it's a late runner.

Haven't watched the race the previous poster is referring to, but I'm familiar a bit with the horse Pena rode, and that horse has usually been placed forward, at least in his route attempts. Riding the horse as the poster stated would have to be considered a better than average handling of that horse, probably with a great deal of the decision making being done on the fly.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #23
SuperPickle

Quote:
Pena is perhaps in the infant stages of building a reputation as a rider of late closing runners. Many of his wins have come from deep stretch runners. They haven't even been the type that start a sustained run at the 3/8ths pole and ultimately wear down the pace setters. They have been with horses that he has waited until the 3/16ths pole, assessed the situation, and then put the hammer down. It may be that he has a knack for conserving his horse, and then being an opportunist of sorts. He reminds me of TBaze a bit in that he has an inclination to put his horse on the rail at the 1/2 mile pole and hug it around the far turn. He hasn't shown a real desire to ride the rail to the finish, a move that TBaze has become quite proficient at, as the winners I've noticed him ride in this fashion have been swung off the rail a path or 2, or however far he feels he needs to get out.

I have gained more and more confidence in him over the past few months, and though I'm not quite looking for him when I handicap, I don't shy away from him when I find him on one of my contenders, particularly if it's a late runner.

Haven't watched the race the previous poster is referring to, but I'm familiar a bit with the horse Pena rode, and that horse has usually been placed forward, at least in his route attempts. Riding the horse as the poster stated would have to be considered a better than average handling of that horse, probably with a great deal of the decision making being done on the fly.

Pena's claim to fame will always be the longest apprenticeship in the history of horse racing. He rode his first race in 2008. He won his first race in 2014. He didn't lose the big till the second half of 2016.

He was an apprentice jockey for 8 years so I hope to learned something.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #24
Broad Brush

I don't know if this is the right place for this:

Go to you tube and watch the 1981 Belmont (15min version).

George Martens was a young jockey, who I think won an eclipse
as an appr.

The ride he put in on Summing was perfect.

And Martens was born and grew up in Elmont.
Broad Brush is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #25
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
Pena's claim to fame will always be the longest apprenticeship in the history of horse racing. He rode his first race in 2008. He won his first race in 2014. He didn't lose the big till the second half of 2016.

He was an apprentice jockey for 8 years so I hope to learned something.
Don't want to turn this into a Brayan Pena thread. He's not worthy of one yet anyway, yet his early career looks like it's mostly undocumented, most likely foreign of North America. When a jockey takes one mount all year, one single mount, and it's on a Sadler-trained FAVORITE at summer Delmar, he hasn't just been sitting on the couch since his most previous mount almost 4 years earlier.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #26
dilanesp

Quote:

In the 4th race on Thursday the 16th, Tyler Baze rode exactly the type of race you described, coming down the rail on Starr of Quality. It was beautiful.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #27
dilanesp

Small Town Hero, Alex Solis, in the second at Santa Anita on Saturday the 4th.

Solis simply stole the race on a 40 to 1 shot, slowing down the pace and then opening up inside the 3/8ths. His mount had plenty left in the stretch.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #28
rsetup
Veteran

Julien LeParoux on Dream Dancing GP R4 3/4/17.
rsetup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Tyler Baze on Denmans Call in the Triple Bend.

16-1 up the rail to beat Maochistic.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #30
johnhannibalsmith

Jesus Osuna in Sunday's 3rd at Turf Paradise. He ended up last, but you have to watch it to appreciate it. Particularly the head-on.

You can find it here if you want to see some real talent:

http://www.turfparadise.com/race-rep...ive-video.html

Edited to point out that you are looking for the in there.

-Robert James Smith, 1989

Last edited by johnhannibalsmith; 03-27-2017 at 03:55 PM.
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: