Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-09-2022, 04:06 PM   #1
TomandTom

Mark Patterson Mahoning Valley Interview 1/11/21

Hi, We (Triple Clowns) are going to have Mark Patterson on our show "Off The Rail" on Tuesday 1/11 8 EST. We are going to talk about Mahoning Valley and the races on 1/12.
Anyoe have any favorite memories of races, jocks, or horses at Mahoning you would like us to ask Mark about?

Feel Free to join us on you tube on Tuesday

TomandTom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #2
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandTom View Post
Hi, We (Triple Clowns) are going to have Mark Patterson on our show "Off The Rail" on Tuesday 1/11 8 EST. We are going to talk about Mahoning Valley and the races on 1/12.
Anyoe have any favorite memories of races, jocks, or horses at Mahoning you would like us to ask Mark about?

Feel Free to join us on you tube on Tuesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIRMq0cHAto
Thank you for the information, TomandTom.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandTom View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIRMq0cHAto
Always look forward to an extra chance to hear from Mark outside of those fulfilling his role at MNR!

The track's only been around for 7 1/2 years and I'm only back int the game since 2019, so MVR memories/highlights for me pretty much begin and end with Uriah St. Lewis's Forewarned and the Best of Ohio Endurance three-peat.

In this day and age of racing, I'm appreciative of any "entire" horse able to pull off a REPEAT in a stakes, let alone a three-peat!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

looking forward to it

We all know Mark for his insightful, candid, entertaining air-time.

TomandTom does a nice job with the podcasting.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:01 PM   #5
mountainman

Thanks, guys. And I'm glad to convey that Gary Johnson texted me this morning and agreed to appear, as well.

Most players know Gary only as a very successful and sharp trainer on the Ohio circuit. Few realize that he also rates as one of America's top handicappers and earned that status as the architect of some life-changing pick six scores. In addition, Gary once participated on the national handicapping tour.

Unlike myself, a guy who relishes any exposure and never tires of pontificating on how much I think I know, Gary tends to avoid the spotlight and is thus a rare get for a show of this ilk.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-10-2022 at 03:02 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2022, 04:41 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

Gary Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Most players know Gary only as a very successful and sharp trainer on the Ohio circuit. Few realize that he also rates as one of America's top handicappers and earned that status as the architect of some life-changing pick six scores. In addition, Gary once participated on the national handicapping tour.
Awesome
Old 01-12-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

that was a great show.

I have an old, old note on the #2 in race 6. "Tail-Swisher"

can be indicative of an issue. Today; faces both winners and non-claimers, and gets back to the Dirt, and a 12-day turnaround....

exponential intensity increase ^ ^

sexy sexy form with the NY stuff showing, the Win last time...

could be a good horse to take a stand against.

NY FORM , LAST RACE NOVEMBER
- 5/1ml. Was not a super attractive pick that day. However, she was sent off at 7/2. she took some money that day and was well meant. Maker had already failed with his 'stretch-out' gimmick in a 10f turf race, So I was personally surprised to see her at 7/2, and this was 8.5f towards the end of the Turf NY season and they kind of gave her one last try, and Saez rode her very hard for no response. Flat.

TLDR Significant she failed two different well-meant Maker attempts

Last race Turfway - sent off a cold 6-1, but ran fine.

I did watch the Turfway Win last 12/31 r1 - Slow pace numerically, but the spacing more towards average (was not bunched up in spite of the Crawling fractions), but her Tail was fine. No swishing whatsoever. No swishing in the drive... and it wasn't like tied up like crazy or something. So the issue seems to have toned down/subsided, at least up to now.

w/out seeing that same tail swishing in her last race, this is more of a 'hunch', but I'm going to side with Mark and try to beat the #2Peacebethejourney.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-12-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2022, 12:54 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
NY FORM , LAST RACE NOVEMBER

That was the " My Sunny Valentine" race,
where MySunny... was 11-1 back on the correct surface, and the Chad Firster spoiled a mini-score
Old 01-12-2022, 03:16 PM   #9
turfeyejoe

Nabu Morales

Mark mentioned that high-percentage trainer Nabu Morales "is no longer with us." What happened? I searched online and could not find any obituary. If he's not dead, did he retire?
turfeyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #10
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfeyejoe View Post
Mark mentioned that high-percentage trainer Nabu Morales "is no longer with us." What happened? I searched online and could not find any obituary. If he's not dead, did he retire?
A quick Google search finds an obituary.

http://www.bicanbros.com/obituary/nabucodonosor-morales

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #11
mountainman

Nab died a couple weeks back. Notorious guy. Tons of bad tests. Insane, as I stated on podcast for players to bet his transfers, which they are,
Old 01-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #12
mountainman

Loved doing the show, but definitely cost me money, as it drew far more views than expected. O'Haire (11.80 in the fifth) was 8-1 on ML and figured 6-1 at lowest, while This Man Can, pegged at 10-1 on the program, returned just 5/2 and was as low as 9/5 several min to post.

So much for focusing on Mahoning because my opinion can't squash my odds.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:16 AM   #13
turfeyejoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Loved doing the show, but definitely cost me money, as it drew far more views than expected. O'Haire (11.80 in the fifth) was 8-1 on ML and figured 6-1 at lowest, while This Man Can, pegged at 10-1 on the program, returned just 5/2 and was as low as 9/5 several min to post.

So much for focusing on Mahoning because my opinion can't squash my odds.
I would argue it was poor morning line on O'Haire and This Man Can. In race 5, O'Haire was a last out winner and the other two logical alternatives were poorly drawn in posts 9 and 10 going a mile. This Man Can had the top early pace figure on Brisnet and the trainer was 2 for 6 with $11.07 ROI the past 14 days so it was a hot barn.
The real puzzler to me is how Wesley Ward's filly Tesorima went off at 6-1 after the podcast mentioned "I don't think you'll get anywhere close to 4-1" on her and how she coughed up a three-length lead in the final furlong. According to Bris, she had the top late pace fig in the race and should have been pulling away from the competition at the end, not shortening stride.
turfeyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2022, 11:18 AM   #14
mountainman

Quote:
I would argue it was poor morning line on O'Haire and This Man Can. In race 5, O'Haire was a last out winner and the other two logical alternatives were poorly drawn in posts 9 and 10 going a mile. This Man Can had the top early pace figure on Brisnet and the trainer was 2 for 6 with $11.07 ROI the past 14 days so it was a hot barn.
The real puzzler to me is how Wesley Ward's filly Tesorima went off at 6-1 after the podcast mentioned "I don't think you'll get anywhere close to 4-1" on her and how she coughed up a three-length lead in the final furlong. According to Bris, she had the top late pace fig in the race and should have been pulling away from the competition at the end, not shortening stride.
Potential heat from the 1A inflated Tesorima's odds. i spoke about that possibility. I would also speculate that her finishing power was flattered by the extremely slow pace she set in her mdn win. Plus, with all deference to Ward, she might have been a trifle short after the respite. Mvr is a demanding surface that can expose that, and the last 70 yards there see sooooooo many seemingly set-in-stone results altered.

I get what you're saying about O'Haire and This Man Can, and agree the line was too high on both of them, but cherry picking their positives after the fact, to me, doesn't quite justify the support shown either horse, especially This Man Can. No way that horse figured 9/5 a few min out.

Tx for responding. Good post. Obviously, you know Mahoning.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-13-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:44 AM   #15
mountainman

Quote:
Good lord, Joe, how can I argue when your post-race sounds so much like my pre-race?? I should have had YOU do the podcast while I binged Cobra Kai.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-13-2022 at 11:56 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: