Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #61
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactatom View Post
The ones that should be forced to tell the truth are the California and Arkansas Racing Commissions. They continuously let BB get away with things. How do these people sleep at night?

That's true. The CHRB actually in a totally corrupt manner a few times, in regards to Baffert. And I don't know what the Arkansas commission was thinking.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 10:42 AM   #62
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
One could argue if the CHRB had dealt harshly with Baffert's past sudden horse deaths and not swept Justify's Santa Anita Derby test under the rug:

Racing might find itself in a different place than where it is today.

-jp

Yes. The CHRB was guilty of complicity, if not outright corruption.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #63
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
According to CHRB data base Baffert only has 2 fatalities over the past 2 years, 2020-2021.

I am not defending him, just providing the list.

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/racing_fatalities.aspx
The 7 horses that died from heart failure in a 16 month period was the tipping point for me. Well, that and the Justify positive that the CHRB hid from the public. The fact that those things happened and Baffert didn't even get a fine showed that California had a huge problem. You can't have dead horses and drug violations and hold no one accountable.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #64
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Yes. The CHRB was guilty of complicity, if not outright corruption.
The CHRB has blood on its hands.

And what they did was literally illegal. We have the Brown Act, which requires that agency decisions be made in public hearings. City councilmen have actually been convicted of crimes under its terms. Every member and advisor of CHRB who attended the private meeting where they decided to change the rule retroactively to allow Baffert's doping of Justify to stand should have bene prosecuted and sent to prison.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #65
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I gave NYRA a lot of credit in the other thread on it. You guys have been fighting Baffert in court to try and make a ban stick.
BTW, the other group that deserves a lot of credit is Churchill. It took an enormous amount of institutional courage to effectively ban Baffert from the Derby while their own racing commission drags its heels.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #66
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned that NYRA has been way ahead of the curve on this.
Good point, they are fighting the good fight. I think making the case got easier yesterday for NYRA.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 03:33 PM   #67
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
The 7 horses that died from heart failure in a 16 month period was the tipping point for me. Well, that and the Justify positive that the CHRB hid from the public. The fact that those things happened and Baffert didn't even get a fine showed that California had a huge problem. You can't have dead horses and drug violations and hold no one accountable.
That’s the bottom line right there, I don’t care who it is, where it is or who likes or doesn’t like him. There’s just too much going on with this guy to deny it. But some of Klondike’s always do. Somehow this guy is the “best “ trainer there ever was but all the incidents were “bad fortune”, someone’s else’s fault or a mistake. Yup, and pigs fly. Poor guy, can’t catch a break …….cmon. As long as he trains….. what’s next?

Last edited by burnsy; 12-07-2021 at 03:34 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #68
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
This is a racing problem, not only a Baffert problem. But if it makes everyone feel better about the sport we can pretend its a Baffert problem.
You are right about racing problem. With Baffert being the face of racing, this happening same year as Derby controversity, right after Servis/Navarro fiasco. Not looking good for racing.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #69
BarchCapper

Quote:
That's true. The CHRB actually in a totally corrupt manner a few times, in regards to Baffert. And I don't know what the Arkansas commission was thinking.
I'm thinking the Arkansas commission had a concern that questions surrounding the "chain of control" integrity of the test samples would result in a decent probability of causing any strong punishment to not survive a civil court case. We just wound up seeing a "settlement" at the commission level to avoid further court costs on both sides, IMO.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #70
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
I'm thinking the Arkansas commission had a concern that questions surrounding the "chain of control" integrity of the test samples would result in a decent probability of causing any strong punishment to not survive a civil court case. We just wound up seeing a "settlement" at the commission level to avoid further court costs on both sides, IMO.
1. False positives can happen. But when you have enough violations, they can't all be false positives.

2. The "won't survive a court case" thing is bad reasoning. First of all, horse race commissions win over 90 percent of the time in court. Really. It isn't as though the courts are stocked with people who don't care about horse or bettor welfare and just want to help people who cheat in sports.

Second, the statutes governing horse racing do not require the vast majority of things that trainers' lawyers say they do. Even something as potentially serious as a chain of custody issue, which can certainly derail a criminal case that has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, is not going to be fatal in a horse racing suspension. The trainer has the burden of proof in a court proceeding, and must not only show that the commission was wrong, but was so wrong to "exceed the bounds of reason". So if, despite the chain of custody issue, it's, say 75% likely that the sample came from the horse and the test was accurate, that's enough to get an affirmance.

There is a phenomenon where horse racing commissions, who are often buddy-buddy with the trainers and owners, don't want a big bruising court fight. But when they actually fight in court, they win.

And honestly, their duty to the public is to fight these cases. The goal of a horse racing commission should not be to have a 100% record in court. They are supposed to bring every case where they believe the trainer cheated. If the courts strike them down, they strike them down. But unless the commission actually believed Baffert was completely innocent, he should have been punished and they should have been in court defending the punishment.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #71
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblin4ever View Post
You are right about racing problem. With Baffert being the face of racing, this happening same year as Derby controversity, right after Servis/Navarro fiasco. Not looking good for racing.
Its absolutely horrible, cant imagine worse optics than this. Why would anyone want to get involved in this "sport".
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #72
1mileto7Fcutback
Veteran

The thing that Baffert has never understood is being the "face of racing" comes with a responsibility. He didn't ask for that responsibility but he has reaped the benefits of being that face of racing. In turn he has the responsibility to play by the rules and not provide content for those trying to end the sport.

Do I think he's cheating? Probably not. Life is Good and Following Sea didn't miss a beat this year moving into another barn. He's getting the best horse flesh every year. I think he exploits an edge if he gets it, but overall.i think the last few years hes been relatively clean.
But he's incredibly careless. After his mishap in the Oaks last year, if he cared he would've made sure he didn't have what happened this year in the Derby. He doesn't care, he thinks he's above the sport.

The optics are poor here, and if I'm wrong I will own it, but horses die of heart attacks. I don't think he did anything nefarious in this instance. But he should be held responsible for embarrassing the sport in consecutive years. What that entails....im not sure. But the ignorance is bliss routine is tired.
1mileto7Fcutback is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #73
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It's too bad we can't get you trolling him personally in some way...that might teach him a lesson.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #74
classhandicapper

Maybe the sport has to do a better job of ending grey area activities.

If a drug is a legal therapeutic and it's found to have some off label benefits or people are training on it and then using the withdrawal guidelines to avoid almost all the positives while still gaining some benefit, that's already a problem.

If there are pain killing procedures that are similar that's a problem.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #75
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
... or people are training on it and then using the withdrawal guidelines to avoid almost all the positives while still gaining some benefit...
Which trainers are not doing that; and what are their win %'s?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: