Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-20-2021, 12:20 AM   #61
Suff
Beat up 💪

I liked Sole Volante. I played a $20 double, #4 to the Tik Tok horse in the 11th. Then I played my lucky numbers on a $9 pik3 ticket.. I backed into a whopper. Pik3 $7 grand for $2, I got $1772 for .50

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2021, 11:49 PM   #62
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Nobody else said it...so I will...nice!
Old 09-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #63
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

The Tapeta track is almost ready, and when it is, all scheduled turf races will be switched to Tapeta whilst the turf course is reseeded.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ars-completion

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #64
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
The Tapeta track is almost ready, and when it is, all scheduled turf races will be switched to Tapeta whilst the turf course is reseeded.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ars-completion
Thanks for the update, therussmeister.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #65
theiman

Interesting part of the article.

Gulfstream vice president of racing operations, Mike Lakow, told Horse Racing Nation that Gulfstream may not run on its turf course until its Championship Meet, which begins in December. He left open the possibility it could be used earlier if the growth of the new grass course is rapid.

So are turf horses rested, to run on Tapeta, or ship elsewhere?
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2021, 11:29 PM   #66
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post

Gulfstream vice president of racing operations, Mike Lakow, told Horse Racing Nation that Gulfstream may not run on its turf course until its Championship Meet, which begins in December. He left open the possibility it could be used earlier if the growth of the new grass course is rapid.

My guess...d) all of the above. Mainly rested.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:06 AM   #67
FRMNBRI

With the talk about Tapeta, has anyone noticed the kickback at Turfway Park,, especially this year. There were some races where it looked like huge chunks of the surface where flying everywhere. I know the Tapeta/synthetic at Turways is different than the Gate and Presque Isle but it was very interesting to watch. I noticed it more on cold days. Obviously this will not be a issue at GP, but has anyone else noticed that at Turfway. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy and cashing some tickets in the meantime. Take Care fellas!!
FRMNBRI is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #68
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post

The whole point of installing Tapeta is to keep the turf horses from scratching when races are taken off the turf, and keep them in town when the turf needs an extended rest.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #69
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
The whole point of installing Tapeta is to keep the turf horses from scratching when races are taken off the turf, and keep them in town when the turf needs an extended rest.
Tapeta being similar to turf is kind of a myth in my opinion. I find horses with dirt form do better than turf horses, but horsemen will cling to the belief.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #70
MonmouthParkJoe

I like the idea and imagine that like others have noted, should keep some of the turf fields together if they have to come off the main.

Concerns, at least as i see it, is maintaining the surface with horses going back and forth from the main to the tapeta and over to the turf course for those races.

Other would be what this does to the condition book itself. Most tracks try not to run too cheap on the turf, and outside of usage/wear and tear on the turf, what it does to the dirt races.

You can see across the country how much smaller the dirt fields are, so does this now make them even smaller with the tapeta option. Sure, you can still maintain a higher bottom for the tapeta to match the turf and hope to maintain the dirt field sizes, but curious to see when the first book comes out.

Anytime you create more conditions and now three different surfaces, you are fracturing the horse population further and where they can run.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #71
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Tapeta being similar to turf is kind of a myth in my opinion. I find horses with dirt form do better than turf horses, but horsemen will cling to the belief.
That's racing in a nutshell....things essentially get made up without using data to support it and many people accept it....and then argue it's truth when you refute it.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #72
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Confusion is good. Might be enough opportunities with this to overcome their inability to time races.

I'll be looking at GP for the first time in years this fall.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #73
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
They're running out of green paint for the turf course.....
No lie there. Gulfstream Park turf course is a mess.
The racing se retry has two choices. One, spread out the grass races to give the turf more recovery time. Two, write fewer turf races.
Currently there aren't any strains of warm season grasses available that root deeply enough to withstand the tearing horse's hooves cause to the shallow root systems of the turf types used in the South
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2021, 04:16 PM   #74
thespaah

There is lots of debate on many fronts regarding synthetic vs dirt surfaces.
Those on the side of synthetic cite raw stats which indicate a lower percentage of equine athlete fatalities racing over synthetic vs dirt.
Here is where that simple analysis falls off the rails.
At least to my knowledge, there have been no studies which break down the exact causes of a fatal injury. No studies which include a specific style or methodology in track maintenance. No studies on Weather and climate and their effects on synthetic surfaces vs dirt also have not been studied.
The quality of the horses, age, propensity of types of injuries and whether or not track Vets have in concert with the connections whether to implement more intensive care or to put down the horse.
Lastly, training methods and training practices of individual trainers have not been studied.
I'd like to see more knowledgeable people with ZERO bias toward either surface perform studies on these important issues.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #75
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The 51st state!
Canada...America's Hat.
Its a JOKE....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: