Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

View Poll Results: Do you think Maximum Security should have been disqualified in the derby?
Yes 179 48.91%
No 187 51.09%
Voters: 366. This poll is closed

Old 05-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #31
AMPHAR

I think Johnnie V tried something similar with Invisible Ink against Monarchos. Didn’t work.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #32
bobphilo

I am strongly in favor of limiting the Derby field as that number of horses is dangerous and insane. However that does not mean they should not enforce the rules. That actually makes it even more important for safety's sake. I know there has been an anything goes "tradition" in this race to let fouls go but there is no reason to continue this dubious practice as it encourages dangerous fouling. I applaud the stewards for making this brave decision knowing they were going to be slammed for taking down the favorite.
The fact that Country Houses' rider's claim was frivolous is irrelevant as is the fact that Will to Win's jock did not file an objection. Will to Win was not the only horse affected by Max Security's interference. Long Range Toddy was severely impeded, stopping him cold in the middle of his late move and dropping him like a stone to 17th place and his rider DID legitimately claim foul. Not only Did MS' action affect other horses chances of winning or placing, it was potentially dangerous and that's a foul in any race.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #33
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Count President Trump among the no's.

https://www.newser.com/story/274763/...mpaign=rss_top
That confirms it. The DQ was definitely legit.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #34
AMPHAR

So is this not a foul in a sprint race with speed drawn outside? In the early stages you see lane changes and horses having to check much much worse than Derby 145.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #35
burnsy
self medicated

He didn’t do it on purpose , watch the replay. That horses ears pricked and he bolted a bit. The newest bs media blitz from the boot lickers. “Doesn’t matter if it’s a claiming race or a stakes race. A foul is a foul. “ This coming from people following for as long as I have. There is no way these people believe that. Just saying. The lock step opinion is a smoke screen for the casual player bitching. Nobody seriously following this game believes that. There have been so many non calls in big races. Credibility is lost saying that to a horse player

Last edited by burnsy; 05-05-2019 at 01:14 PM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #36
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Good lord. 25 no votes.

This is a one hundred percent foul on war of will. Came over and took his path away.

Allan
War of Will’s jockey didn’t object.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #37
airford1

In the reality of the game it was the correct call and . Mary and Gary West need to "STAY IN YO OWN LANE"and show some class.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #38
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
The complaint should not have stood since CH was not affected. And all that bumping? What do you expect in a 20-horse field? So this has never happened in the previous 144 runnings. Cool.
Not true at all. Even if I buy into CH not being affected, there were two OTHER horses who DEFINITELY were affected. And once the stewards start looking at a race, there is no law that says they can't notice something OTHER than the original foul claim, and then ACT on what they see.

I can't believe people still keep bringing this up...like there is some procedural law on the books that the stewards are only allowed to investigate the original claim and that's it...
Old 05-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #39
jay68802

For me, this was a tough one. After the DQ, I got in my car, drove home, and grabbed some rum for my coke. I lost a $10.00 Pick 3 and Pick 4, a $75.00 Double, and $100.00 to Win, second largest amount of money I lost to a DQ in my life.
This morning I watched replays of the race and asked myself, if I had keyed WoW, would I think the DQ was warrented? Yes, I would have. They made the right call.
If you would have asked me yesterday, I would have let out a stream of profanity.

This is a great game to play, but it really sucks once in a while.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #40
woodbinepmi

Hopefully it's coming here:
https://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/ar...ange-kim-kelly
Old 05-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #41
boys at tosconova

the proper poll heading should be:

"are you upset max was dq'd because you lost money on him"

lol @ 50% of the people here thinking he should stay up when he was clearly at fault.

get over it. whether it cost you 10 bux or 10000
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #42
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post
War of Will’s jockey didn’t object.
The DQ cost me from collecting $2800.

Casse was a good sport. He knew he had nothing to gain. Court is a sore loser. The foul is legit but how it came into question is a joke.

f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #43
The Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
There have been so many non calls in big races.

Then THAT is the problem. If the tide starts to turn to rules actually being enforced consistently, then that's a good thing
The Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #44
MadVindication

I don't think it's possible to consistently enforce rules in sports. There's subjectivity that becomes tiresome. Who likes to watch refs/stewards mull over calls.

There is something broken in horse racing where jocks have to make the calls. We have enough video technology these days for the stewards see things. From any view. As it happens.

But it would end up being a lame sport if fouls were considered heavily in large fields, with any runner, at any time of the race. How long do we want to wait after for stewards to review each race. There'd be even fewer feelings of excitement when the horses cross the wire.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #45
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
Then THAT is the problem. If the tide starts to turn to rules actually being enforced consistently, then that's a good thing
There is a reason why in the 145 year history, prior to yesterday, no winner has been DQ'd in the Derby.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply