Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 04:48 AM   #1
Seabiscuit@AR

HKJC starting fixed odds betting via Betfair

It was recently reported that Hong Kong tote turnover fell late last season. Looks like the HKJC has decided that the rebated tote model no longer has any growth left in it so they have decided to licence fixed odds exchange betting via Betfair

When Betfair first appeared HKJC were dead against the concept of a betting exchange so this is a big turn around from them

https://www.racing.com/news/2019-08-...ng-kong-racing
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit@AR View Post
It was recently reported that Hong Kong tote turnover fell late last season. Looks like the HKJC has decided that the rebated tote model no longer has any growth left in it so they have decided to licence fixed odds exchange betting via Betfair

When Betfair first appeared HKJC were dead against the concept of a betting exchange so this is a big turn around from them

https://www.racing.com/news/2019-08-...ng-kong-racing

it's not approved by the hkjc.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/ar...-club-approval
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
classhandicapper

I'm sure it's difficult to make all the numbers work for everyone, but if exchange wagering would become more available in the US it would solve a LOT of problems for bettors. I played at E-Horse Exchange for awhile and it was one of the better periods of my gambling life. I was playing with a much lower fee than could probably be available anywhere now, but the advantages were obvious and significant.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Seabiscuit@AR

well that is a surprise as Betfair offered HK years ago but stopped and their stance has always been to wait till they get official approval. So I assumed they had official approval

Without official approval from the HKJC there won't be enough liquidity as there will be no bettors from HK. It will go the way of Betfair's Singapore markets where there is no liquidity as the locals will use Citibet if they want to bet with an exchange
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Not get off topic, but what is the outlook for racing in HK these days? Is is relatively safe, or would it likely be outlawed with a tighter control by China?

Not sure what the impact is on shippers there but I would think it might not be the ideal time to be planning to ship in.

Just curious, not making any judgments.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit@AR View Post
well that is a surprise as Betfair offered HK years ago but stopped and their stance has always been to wait till they get official approval. So I assumed they had official approval

Without official approval from the HKJC there won't be enough liquidity as there will be no bettors from HK. It will go the way of Betfair's Singapore markets where there is no liquidity as the locals will use Citibet if they want to bet with an exchange

Like you, I at first thought it had been sanctioned by the HKJC.
It puts a different light on it knowing it is without approval.
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 AM   #7
Onesome

"“It is disappointing that a listed company does not respect our intellectual property rights.”"

Funny quote coming from a Chinese company.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
cutchemist42

As a Canadian I miss having Betfair access. I ront have records from back then but I probably did better back then than I do on parimutuel.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply