Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:03 PM   #20311
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
If you have an argument to make about something, make it in your own words, otherwise I'm not interested.
Me too.
I'm more interested in words people say (post) than videos, although I am not against videos if I have the time or interest to view them.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:08 AM   #20312
Actor
Librocubicularist

Old 07-27-2015, 04:38 AM   #20313
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad1102
Originally Posted by hcap
Another case please where science uses unjustified faith as religion does?

Are you a religionist? Beliefist? Lumping all religions together like a racist does because of the color of a human beings skin?
I am close to a Perenialist, "Perenialism , is a perspective in the philosophy of religion which views each of the world’s religious traditions as sharing a single, universal truth on which foundation all religious knowledge and doctrine has grown."

I include the best tools for understanding the world around us. Science and technology of the modern era must be included in the mix, or we fall into wrong and unjustified "beliefs" such as geocentrism, and bloodletting, and witch hunting.

I am dead against the literal in religious thought and search for the symbolic and allegorical commonalities shared by the great religious thinkers. I do not ever consider fundamentalists of any religion worth including in the mix.

Unfortunately some posters here are scientifically illiterate and if they were not they would understand unjustified belief or the use of faith is not part of the scientific method if used properly.

Personally I have had moments of otherworldly understandings and what might be called religious experiences. The trick is living day to day remembering those brief glimpses into a larger world and applying lessons learned in one's life. I am partial to Zen, Sufism, and other esoteric studies that view man as a multiplicity of "I's", our consciousnesses flickering from one fragment of our total being to another without our day to day awareness realizing it. Wholeness or the "holy" quest can be understood in many ways. Science can help as other intellectual frameworks may. I appreciate the sense of awe it brings, but then again the architecture and beauty a great cathedral or temple also generates aw. As does certain music, literature and art.

BUT the actual quest must drop ALL intellectual shells that may lead us to setting out on the search and we must not get caught up in confusing the map for the territory. One can get buried in one's words losing track of the ideas behind those words

"Zen masters have often spoken of Enlightenment as like the moon shining brightly in the dark sky, while the Zen Buddhist teachings are like a finger pointing up toward the moon. Too many people, however, instead of gazing at the great moon, prefer to relentlessly suck on the finger!"
Old 07-27-2015, 04:50 AM   #20314
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Me too.
I'm more interested in words people say (post) than videos, although I am not against videos if I have the time or interest to view them.
Please! I have argued for years with words as have both of you.
Sometimes one picture is worth a thousand POSTS, particularly when some here are oblivious to concepts other than their own.

One more time. The various videos I posted demolish boxcars opinion that cause and effect occur simultaneously. But neither of you will discuss the science the videos demonstrate preferring either to believe science is just as faith driven as certain religions, or scientists who accept such obvious truths are evil unbelievers
Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #20315
Greyfox

Quote:
preferring either to believe science is just as faith driven as certain religions, or scientists who accept such obvious truths are evil unbelievers
There you go again twisting words that I never said.
1. I did not say science was just as faith driven, although scientists tentatively put faith in their models until better models are found

2. I did not say scientists are evil unbelievers

From the young lass in your peace photo, you're becoming a bitter old shrew.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #20316
hcap

Quote:
There you go again twisting words that I never said.
1. I did not say science was just as faith driven, although scientists tentatively put faith in their models until better models are found

2. I did not say scientists are evil unbelievers

From the young lass in your peace photo, you're becoming a bitter old shrew.
You told us science has "tentative faith" and would abandon that "momentary faith" as new scientific theories come along. I have already pointed out just how absurd that is.

Boxcar goes on and on about evil unbelievers and how scientists are such, I would say at least once in every 5 or 6 his absurd posts
Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #20317
Greyfox

Quote:
You told us science has "tentative faith" and would abandon that "momentary faith" as new scientific theories come along. I have already pointed out just how absurd that is.

Boxcar goes on and on about evil unbelievers and how scientists are such, I would say at least once in every 5 or 6 his absurd posts
1. Of course science has tentative faith. That does not mean "it is just as faith driven."

2. The post about evil unbelievers was addressed to my avotar. If you meant it for boxcar alone, you wouldn't have included it in your post to me.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #20318
hcap

Quote:
1. Of course science has tentative faith. That does not mean "it is just as faith driven."

2. The post about evil unbelievers was addressed to my avotar. If you meant it for boxcar alone, you wouldn't have included it in your post to me.

Earlier you said:

....Science is about tentative commitment. Science has faith in the new model only
You said has faith. So if you like I will amend faith "driven" to faith "motivated" from one theory to the next.

I said clearly "Boxcar goes on and on about evil unbelievers and how scientists are such, I would say at least once in every 5 or 6 his absurd posts"

Did you misread "Boxcar" for Greyfox?

I know you guys are close, but I did make a clear distinction. If you like, I could always stop making that distinction.

Last edited by hcap; 07-27-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #20319
thaskalos

Quote:

If you have an argument to make about something, make it in your own words, otherwise I'm not interested.
Look at this! The guy who always uses never-ending verses copied straight from the bible whenever he gets backed into a corner in a debate...is telling someone else to use his own words when making an argument.

Truth is stranger than fiction...
Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #20320
hcap

Quote:
I spent pages and pages explaining causality and many other subjects to you in my own words supported by well documented sources. My posted videos on that subject simply cut you down at your mistaken pseudo-scientific legs.

WHICH YOU STILL WON'T ADMIT

You would do better not entering into discussions of subjects other than your narrow minded biblical misinterpreted Christianity. Hint: you know zilch about everything else----especially science.

Then again your biblical parroting is not exactly a strong point either

Last edited by hcap; 07-27-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #20321
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Look at this! The guy who always uses never-ending verses copied straight from the bible whenever he gets backed into a corner in a debate...is telling someone else to use his own words when making an argument.

Truth is stranger than fiction...
I use scripture since the bible or truth itself is often the topic of debate. If someone doubts Jesus' divinity, what am I supposed to use to support the doctrine -- last year's NY Slimes? But when I do use scripture, I most often support scripture with my own commentary as well, since unbelievers tend to have a very difficult time understanding truth even when it's spelled out plain and simple in scripture.

And by the way, how often have you used scripture to point to your visions of contradictions?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #20322
boxcar

Quote:
I am dead...
Truer words have never been spoken by you. I wonder if your universal religious truth (so called) has revealed this biblical truth to you, as well.

John 5:24
24 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
NASB
Old 07-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #20323
boxcar

[QUOTE=hcap]BUT the actual quest must drop ALL intellectual shells that may lead us to setting out on the search and we must not get caught up in confusing the map for the territory. One can get buried in one's words losing track of the ideas behind those words.[/ii]

But aren't ideas expressed in words among rational beings? In fact, what good are ideas if not expressed coherently?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #20324
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad1102
Another case please where science uses unjustified faith as religion does?

Are you a religionist? Beliefist? Lumping all religions together like a racist does because of the color of a human beings skin?
Hcap is like an Everything Bagel. It's all good.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #20325
boxcar

Quote:
Please! I have argued for years with words as have both of you.
Sometimes one picture is worth a thousand POSTS, particularly when some here are oblivious to concepts other than their own.

One more time. The various videos I posted demolish boxcars opinion that cause and effect occur simultaneously. But neither of you will discuss the science the videos demonstrate preferring either to believe science is just as faith driven as certain religions, or scientists who accept such obvious truths are evil unbelievers
I just broke up a huge piece of glass that I need to toss out for garbage pick-up tomorrow. The darndest thing happened. The glass never shattered until the moment my hammer made contact with it.