Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Smarty Cide
Veteran

Haskell

anyone here who is pointed to the Haskell?

Iv heard Commisioner but thats about it
Smarty Cide is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Striker

Wildcat Red and Bayern. Not sure what Social Inclusion's plans are now after the Woody Stephens but there was talk about having him run in the Haskell before last weekend.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Smarty Cide
Veteran

did Wildcat Red finish the derby yet?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

FWIW, I think Shared Belief could be a major factor in the 3YO races for the rest of the year. He won't have to be much to beat most of these. The low Derby figure of 97 makes perfect sense to me for California Chrome - he bounced a bit after a strong effort in the SA Derby, then bounced forward again for a nice figure in the Preakness.

In the Belmont, the bunched pack and close finish of the top 5 finishers points to a less than steller field. A Beyer fig of 100 or 101 seems generous if anything, especially when compared with the Brooklyn.

This looks like a year where a late bloomer could dominate the division in the second half of the year, and Shared Belief could possibly fit that bill. It will also be interesting to see how California Chrome performs the rest of the year....
Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
FWIW, I think Shared Belief could be a major factor in the 3YO races for the rest of the year. He won't have to be much to beat most of these. The low Derby figure of 97 makes perfect sense to me for California Chrome - he bounced a bit after a strong effort in the SA Derby, then bounced forward again for a nice figure in the Preakness.

In the Belmont, the bunched pack and close finish of the top 5 finishers points to a less than steller field. A Beyer fig of 100 or 101 seems generous if anything, especially when compared with the Brooklyn.

This looks like a year where a late bloomer could dominate the division in the second half of the year, and Shared Belief could possibly fit that bill. It will also be interesting to see how California Chrome performs the rest of the year....

Sherman said possibly the Pacific Classic . I thought he'd pick a soft spot to come back after his big campaign . But what do I know , lol .
I guess he'll let them know if he's ready .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #6
Thebigguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
[/B]

Sherman said possibly the Pacific Classic . I thought he'd pick a soft spot to come back after his big campaign . But what do I know , lol .
Highly doubt they go Pacific Classic. A DRF article right now says a possible fall campaign.
Thebigguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigguy
Highly doubt they go Pacific Classic. A DRF article right now says a possible fall campaign.
I think CC will return in whatever the Goodwood is called these days, if he comes back at all.

As for The Haskell, anyone's guess. Monmouth will get the usual 7 horse field with a 6/5 favorite, and Haskell Day will still be a great day at the Jersey Shore!
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab
I think CC will return in whatever the Goodwood is called these days, if he comes back at all.

As for The Haskell, anyone's guess. Monmouth will get the usual 7 horse field with a 6/5 favorite, and Haskell Day will still be a great day at the Jersey Shore!
SI's connections still pointing to the Haskell. I think you will see a trainer change as well as a rider change. Wouldn't be surprised to see Paco Lopez named the new rider. The new trainer will be a household name.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
SI's connections still pointing to the Haskell. I think you will see a trainer change as well as a rider change. Wouldn't be surprised to see Paco Lopez named the new rider. The new trainer will be a household name.
In the best interest of Social Inclusion, there should be an owner change first.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
iceknight

Quote:

I think I will try to make a visit then
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
[/B]

The Pacific Classic is a great spot for a 3 year old, which gets a big weight break. Best Pal, General Challenge, Came Home, and Dullahan all won it as 3 year olds.

Plus, this may surprise east coast types, but I don't think most California owners and trainers think that the Haskell, Travers, or Jockey Club Gold Cup are races of any importance whatsoever. Whereas the Pacific Classic is a race everyone out here wants to win. (Plus, the Breeders' Cup is in California.)

Last edited by dilanesp; 06-11-2014 at 02:53 PM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Smarty Cide
Veteran

Quote:

i wish they would do it on a Saturday tho..
Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
The Pacific Classic is a great spot for a 3 year old, which gets a big weight break. Best Pal, General Challenge, Came Home, and Dullahan all won it as 3 year olds.

Plus, this may surprise east coast types, but I don't think most California owners and trainers think that the Haskell, Travers, or Jockey Club Gold Cup are races of any importance whatsoever. Whereas the Pacific Classic is a race everyone out here wants to win. (Plus, the Breeders' Cup is in California.)
Makes sense because Sherman said he wants to keep him home .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty Cide
i wish they would do it on a Saturday tho..
Never in a million years will I ever figure out why the Haskell is on a Sunday.....I know up until a few years ago the hambletonian was raced on the day before the Haskell......they built it up as jerseys racing weekend

Swear to god I'm like 11/12 winning on Haskell day....saw some Friegt trains

Serena's song
Holy bull
Peace rules
Any given Saturday
Point given (best horse I've ever seen)
Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
Never in a million years will I ever figure out why the Haskell is on a Sunday.....I know up until a few years ago the hambletonian was raced on the day before the Haskell......they built it up as jerseys racing weekend

Swear to god I'm like 11/12 winning on Haskell day....saw some Friegt trains

Serena's song
Holy bull
Peace rules
Any given Saturday
Point given (best horse I've ever seen)
Best one of recent time coal play getting run down in the final strides by Big Brown everyone thought Bravo had stolen the show!