Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #181
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
That was a joke about Democrats not running businesses. Sorry, I forgot liberals don't have a sense of humor. That's why there is such a heavy use of these by libs, to pretend they do understand humor.

I will be more "liberal" with my use of smilies in the future in deference to the humorously disadvantaged.
You don't make jokes. It always goes over your head when one of us libs makes a joke. So don't pretend you were making a joke. And if you were, it was a really crummy joke.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #182
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
So Sharon the owner says she found the everlasting money tree at Grub, but decided she was unworthy of such 'huge success', and so sold to someone else who promptly renamed it to diminish its goodwill. Got it.

... and I'm supposed to believe anything else she might say??
She owns two or three other restaurants and is opening two more. She sold Grub so she can concentrate on her other properties. As for renaming the restaurant, maybe that was part of the deal. Or maybe the new owner wanted his own identity to be associated with his restaurant. It's not like he was buying a McDonalds.

In any case, if Sharon the owner was closing her restaurant because of the increase in the minimum wage, why wouldn't she just say so? Why go out of her way to deny it?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #183
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
For minimum wage. we have almost eighty years if history. We have studies based on that history. And we have a CBO study based on what if that contradicts those studies. A prediction of what is going to happen compared to the facts of what did happen.
OMG!!!

There isn't a minute to lose. You need to get to Washington ASAP and inform the CBO that they are doing it all wrong!

Obama will probably give you a major award for your service to the country.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #184
mostpost

Quote:
You have posted raw data that usually shows an increase in minimum wage in one year is followed by little or no increase in CPI the next year. I have tried many times to explain the statistical and econometric flaws in your claims, to no avail. I won't try again. The data you post is worse than meaningless, it is dangerous, should anyone ever believe you. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
I did not post that data to claim that there is a one to one connection between the minimum wage and the CPI. I understand that there are many factors that make up the CPI. Just as I never claimed that raising the minimum wage, in and of itself, causes unemployment to drop.

Here is why I posted that data.

You cons are constantly telling us that raising the minimum wage is useless because the increase in wages is offset by the increase in prices. My data, which you can find in post #93, shows something quite different. With few exceptions we see that the amount the minimum wage was increased was much greater than the increase in the cost of living.

Here are some recent examples.
On April 1, 1990 we raised the Minimum wage 13.4%. One year later the CPI was up 5.6%. Put another way the increase in the CPI was only 42% of the increase in wages.

I'm not going to waste my time going through all the calculations, except to list the % of CPI increase to minimum wage increase for the last six increases.
4/1/91 22%
10/1/96 24%
10/1/97 19%
7/24/07 41%
7/24/08 -16%*
7/24/09 11%

* not sure I did this one right as the CPI declined over this period.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #185
OntheRail

Quote:
She owns two or three other restaurants and is opening two more. She sold Grub so she can concentrate on her other properties. As for renaming the restaurant, maybe that was part of the deal. Or maybe the new owner wanted his own identity to be associated with his restaurant. It's not like he was buying a McDonalds.

In any case, if Sharon the owner was closing her restaurant because of the increase in the minimum wage, why wouldn't she just say so? Why go out of her way to deny it?

Cause she has two more ventures to dump... and does not want to poison the pool of potential sucks... I mean buyers.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #186
Clocker

Quote:
My data, which you can find in post #93, shows something quite different.
Your data shows nothing, and can show nothing as presented. Your attempt to show meaning shows a complete lack of understanding of statistical analysis or econometric modeling.

I know this will come as a shock to you, but the CBO knows a lot more about this stuff than even you.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #187
tucker6

Quote:
The difference between you and me is that you read about these things and I live it. But go on letting us know how smart you are about buying and selling restaurants.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #188
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail
Cause she has two more ventures to dump... and does not want to poison the pool of potential sucks... I mean buyers.
She is opening two new restaurants. She has no intention of selling anymore. Read the article. You do not have a right to make things up just to help your case.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #189
mostpost

Quote:
Your data shows nothing, and can show nothing as presented. Your attempt to show meaning shows a complete lack of understanding of statistical analysis or econometric modeling.

I know this will come as a shock to you, but the CBO knows a lot more about this stuff than even you.
You really are an arrogant jerk. An arrogant jerk that I am putting on ignore.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #190
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Very very possible.......
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #191
OntheRail

Quote:
She is opening two new restaurants. She has no intention of selling anymore.
Oh yes the all seeing PA Oracle can see what's in the heart and mind of all and knows what one meant to say.. and should of meant when read.

Quote:
You do not have a right to make things up just to help your case.
Oh PA Oracle I forgot that is your domain. Pardon me.

On the other hand... take a long walk on a short pier.

I have every right to call it as I see it.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #192
Clocker

Quote:
Oh yes the all seeing PA Oracle can see what's in the heart and mind of all and knows what one meant to say.. and should of meant when read.
Jealousy is an ugly thing. The man can read minds and you can't. Deal with it.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #193
Clocker

Quote:
You really are an arrogant jerk. An arrogant jerk that I am putting on ignore.
This from a guy that has regularly and repeatedly called me stupid, greedy, and a liar. Especially liar. Often.

I have never responded in kind. I have never called him names (other than a liberal) or questioned that he honestly believed what he was saying. But I have objectively documented his extreme economic illiteracy, and that makes me the bad guy.

And if I might add,

We will see how long this "ignore" lasts. Promises, promises.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #194
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
It is neither. Your numbers are way off. Minimum wage earners are about 5% of the work force. If 25% of the work force lost their jobs every time we had a minimum wage increase, the country would be in a permanent Great Depression. ...
The numbers I used aren't wrong, as you read, because I made up the numbers -- it was a hypothetical example.

Again I ask you -- and please note again that I am using the numbers below simply to make a point. What scenario is best for the economy and country?:

the 70 per cent of minimum wage earners that get a raise with the increase, or the 30 per cent of minimum wage earners that lose their jobs because of the minimum wage increase?

Mostpost, if you choose to answer this, I beg you, please, stay away from any wonky policy link or quote from some agency apparatchik. They don't live in the real world.

Also note, as a public service to the PA readership ... I purposely skewered my hypothetical numbers to be more favorably weighted toward those that just might 'benefit' from a minimum wage increase.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #195
Thebart

The first line of your comment is accurate

To be specific Conservatives are generally "full of crap." Yes, this is my view and yes it is true.
Thebart is offline   Reply With Quote Reply