Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #31
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
My thinking is if we can wager on horse racing, why then not other sports.
What's the difference.
The official "for the record" stance on sports wagering in this country is that it taints the game. That moral argument holds sway in Washington.
It is not likely to change in our lifetime.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #32
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
The point I was making was that his statement stating that 50% of the money generated would go to compulsive gambler programs. That is ludicrous! Where does he think the bulk of the money will be coming from. That makes absolutely no sense. As for my failed attempt at humor, anyone that is offended, I do apologize. It was just a joke, and according to you, a bad one. You must really hate Bill Maher.
I liked your joke, yet I despise Bill Maher.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #33
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I liked your joke, yet I despise Bill Maher.
Thanks. For those that don't know, Bill Maher is an NJ resident who often makes cutting jokes at Governor Christie's expense and with, shall we say, quite a descriptive flair. I like him, btw. But, then again, I like(d) Mort Sahl, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Family Guy, & South Park.
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #34
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
The official "for the record" stance on sports wagering in this country is that it taints the game. That moral argument holds sway in Washington.
It is not likely to change in our lifetime.
Which we both know is ,pardon the pun, HORSECRAP.
There has been betting on sports since sports were invented. .
My canned response to the anti wagering morals police is "yeah ok then how come the Brits have betting shops on every street corner with odds on everything including whether or not two cock roaches can make it across Piccadilly Circus without being crushed by a vehicle".
The Super Bowl is the single most wagered event in the world. The underground betting market dwarfs the legal handle.
I just do not buy the argument.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #35
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
My canned response to the anti wagering morals police is "yeah ok then how come the Brits have betting shops on every street corner with odds on everything including whether or not two cock roaches can make it across Piccadilly Circus without being crushed by a vehicle".
The Super Bowl is the single most wagered event in the world. The underground betting market dwarfs the legal handle.
And it's legal in Las Vegas
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #36
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
This is not the UK where abortion is legal and gay partners enjoy the same rights as straight ones. Have you ever run that argument by a Tea Party Member?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #37
horses4courses

Quote:
I fully agree.
The situation is similar to alcohol prohibition in the 1920s.
Unfortunately, the demand for sports betting is not as high as it is for booze.
It is, also, an issue that most politicians seek to avoid. Best left well alone.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #38
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
This is not the UK where abortion is legal and gay partners enjoy the same rights as straight ones. Have you ever run that argument by a Tea Party Member?
Where in the hell do you get that tea party members would be against anything he posted. Generalize much?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Where in the hell do you get that tea party members would be against anything he posted. Generalize much?
I thought the Tea Party is very much against gambling. But, I guess I'm wrong.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #40
thespaah

Quote:
Ok..Let's eschew the political rhetoric.
Now, unjerk your knee and read my post.
I was simply making a comparison.
If you think this an argument, you're wrong.
I am not here to discuss politics or argue with you.
I made a statement of fact.
If you want an argument turn about and look at the wall. You'll not get it here.
I made my point. If you wish to discuss that , let's have at it. Otherwise...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #41
thespaah

Quote:
I thought the Tea Party is very much against gambling. But, I guess I'm wrong.
I don't think the Tea Party takes a position on wagering.
Again, no politics please.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #42
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
I don't think the Tea Party takes a position on wagering.
Again, no politics please.
Sorry but my point was there are too many anti-gambling factions here in the United States. I wasn't being political but there are certain parties whose platform is very much against all forms of gambling. The UK is much more open-minded, as are many countries in this world. Same reason on-line poker is having such a tough time. I swear I wasn't being argumentative. Getting anything past these groups is very tough. Considering this is the land of the free, there is a helluva a lot of things we can't do, gambling on sports is just one of them.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #43
horses4courses

Quote:
Sorry but my point was there are too many anti-gambling factions here in the United States. I wasn't being political but there are certain parties whose platform is very much against all forms of gambling. The UK is much more open-minded, as are many countries in this world. Same reason on-line poker is having such a tough time. I swear I wasn't being argumentative. Getting anything past these groups is very tough. Considering this is the land of the free, there is a helluva a lot of things we can't do, gambling on sports is just one of them.
It's difficult to draw a line between the US political parties with regard to gambling. Certainly, the religious right is the most vocal in opposing it, but politicians (regardless of party affiliation) have one major interest - their own survival.
A pro-gambling stance, especially where sports wagering is concerned, is not a career builder for US politicians.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #44
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Look. Let me easily solve whatever political issues you may have.

DEMOCRATS were COMPLETELY IN CHARGE from January 2009 until January 2011 (I hope I have my dates correct). They controlled the White House and both houses of Congress.

Allow me to ask you...where were the relaxed gambling rules? Where was the legislation that allowed gambling to flourish nationwide?

You blaming the Tea Party or Republicans for the reason why there are many "anti-gambling" factions in the US and thus not widespread gambling options is laughable in the face of these facts.

If you're gonna blame the right, it's obvious the left is no bargain either when it comes to gambling.

How long did it take to get slots at Aqueduct? How come there are not table games in the NY Metro Area? NY State has been a BLUE STATE for how long? Let me answer that for you...NY has been blue FOREVER...

Again, the facts completely contradict your views.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-29-2012 at 11:03 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #45
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
It's difficult to draw a line between the US political parties with regard to gambling. Certainly, the religious right is the most vocal in opposing it, but politicians (regardless of party affiliation) have one major interest - their own survival.
A pro-gambling stance, especially where sports wagering is concerned, is not a career builder for US politicians.
ANd THAT is the problem. Instead of statesmen, we have politicians in office who are more concerned with their political well being than with their constituents or their nation.