Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
maxwell

BC to CD or Bust

Steven Crist has reported in the DRF that the BC bigwigs are considering a permanent site to host racing's big day. Crist seems to think CD is the most logical location. This is what I think :

1 : The BC bigwigs are looking for an easy way out a bad situation that they created.

2 : Belmont is better suited trackwise simply because of the size of the racing surfaces.

3 : Moving the BC around was supposed to showcase the sport.

4 : Racing year after year in the north in November is pretty iffy.

5 : I feel it adds a little spice by moving around.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
tzipi

Should rotate from CD,Bel,GP. I'd say SA if it was dirt. You HAVE to have DIRT and TURF. Not Turf racing and dirt thats turf and turf horses enter and win the races.
Raven Pass trainer said no way they were running if the 2008 BC was on dirt.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Ian Meyers

Rumor has it the site is SA.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Meyers
Rumor has it the site is SA.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzipi
Should rotate from CD,Bel,GP. I'd say SA if it was dirt. You HAVE to have DIRT and TURF. Not Turf racing and dirt thats turf and turf horses enter and win the races.
Raven Pass trainer said no way they were running if the 2008 BC was on dirt.
And maybe Hialeah, if it works out...but, it ain't gonna happen...'they'd' be screaming East coast bias!!!

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
toussaud

just go to mountineer park and call it a day.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

I like different locales. It gives the fans of the local site the entire year to 'look forward to' the BC in their backyard.

If its at one site, its going to get old and the novelty is going to wear off.

its not going to seem 'as important'.

People criticized rachels connections for not going to the 'super bowl' of horse racing. The NFL (infinitely more successful than horse racing) has a SB at a different locale every year. If its good enough for the NFL, its good enough for horse racing.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I like different locales. It gives the fans of the local site the entire year to 'look forward to' the BC in their backyard.

If its at one site, its going to get old and the novelty is going to wear off.

its not going to seem 'as important'.

People criticized rachels connections for not going to the 'super bowl' of horse racing. The NFL (infinitely more successful than horse racing) has a SB at a different locale every year. If its good enough for the NFL, its good enough for horse racing.
Well if the "super bowl" of a sport is the one thing people draw to,the excitement,and the one thing that gets big ratings,then I'd say the Super Bowl of racing is the Kentucky Derby. I always thought that. Everyone's different though.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
the_fat_man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell

2 : Belmont is better suited trackwise simply because of the size of the racing surfaces.
But if there's even a drop of moisture NYRA would insist they take the turf races OFF. (Or, worse, they'd selectively take them off.) Got to save that grass. So, this won't work.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
But if there's even a drop of moisture NYRA would insist they take the turf races OFF. (Or, worse, they'd selectively take them off.) Got to save that grass. So, this won't work.
Nope,it rained good during the 1995 Belmont BC and all the turf races were fine.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzipi
Well if the "super bowl" of a sport is the one thing people draw to,the excitement,and the one thing that gets big ratings,then I'd say the Super Bowl of racing is the Kentucky Derby. I always thought that. Everyone's different though.

I think the BC is considered more the 'super bowl' because its a 2 day 'festus' of racing. The NFL's super bowl is more about the week leading up to the event as a big party. Also, the Ky Derby is a race restricted to a certain age group, so its not 'super' in that way, its not 'open' to the best horses, whereas the BC is.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I think the BC is considered more the 'super bowl' because its a 2 day 'festus' of racing. The NFL's super bowl is more about the week leading up to the event as a big party. Also, the Ky Derby is a race restricted to a certain age group, so its not 'super' in that way, its not 'open' to the best horses, whereas the BC is.
Well they make the first BC day run on a weekday,when people are working. Also,I remember BC being on national tv. Now it's all on cable,right?. As I said,I guess it peoples opinions. I will always put the Derby as the Super Bowl of racing. It's like a month and a half of non stop covergae for the Derby and who's leading the trail and also the excitement of who could be the next big thing.

Last edited by tzipi; 12-15-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I think Churchill would be great.

Belmont runs 1 1/4 race, the Classic, with the start on a turn. It isn't a big deal, but it isn't ideal either. I don't like that the Distaff and both miles would be one turn races either, especially the turf version.

Santa Anita is on a minority surface, so that should be out. Nobody cares about the turf sprint, but running it at 6 1/2 furlongs has been pretty stupid. It also doesn't make sense to cater to an area where the sport is dying a slow death. They can hardly fill a race card these days, so why reward them with the BC?

Somebody mentioned Gulfstream? They can hold more people at Remington. The dirt course is set up terribly for the Distaff.

Churchill, outside of possible weather, is perfect. Besides SoCal, where else can you guarantee good weather in early November? It is the heart of the breeding industry, and this is the Breeder's Cup, no?

I always like the Derby, but it is more of the "pretty horsy" crowd type event. For bettors, I think the BC is the World Series.

Last edited by cj; 12-15-2009 at 10:12 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
castaway01

There's no perfect option, but if they're going to pick a permanent site, Churchill is the best choice.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
tzipi

"I always like the Derby, but it is more of the "pretty horsy" crowd type event. For bettors, I think the BC is the World Series"

Well BC is turning out that way too now. Def gotten to that "Pretty horsy" crowd. Not that that's really a bad thing.