Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

TimeformUS Early/ Late Pace Ratings

Longshot Always Thinking #14 in Laurels 7th 16Sep2017, showed a TimeformUS Late rating of 121....How high do these ratings go up...? Starting to really focus on the high Early or high Late ratings...What about these HIGH ratings...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Longshot Always Thinking #14 in Laurels 7th 16Sep2017, showed a TimeformUS Late rating of 121....How high do these ratings go up...? Starting to really focus on the high Early or high Late ratings...What about these HIGH ratings...?

Watching the fight tonight and just got back from the OU game. I'll give a very detailed answer to this tomorrow at some point.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Watching the fight tonight and just got back from the OU game. I'll give a very detailed answer to this tomorrow at some point.
PS...You could have mentioned he won and paid $52
Old 09-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'll give this a shot...

The early and late ratings are not meant to be compared to each other. Early ratings should be compared to early ratings and late ratings to late ratings. The ratings are designed so that any horse can be compared to any other horse. Horses that have been racing on different surfaces and at very different distances can and often do meet up in the same race. Because of this, the ratings need to be able to differentiate between a horse that runs fast early at 5f on dirt and one that shows speed at 12f on turf. The same goes for late ratings. Finishing fast in a 6f dirt race isn't the same as doing so in a 9f turf race.

I don't keep pars or averages on these ratings...maybe I should. But theoretically, it should work like this. The example below is for older stakes horses. This is about what the average winner would run early and late.

Code:
Fur	Sur	Ear	Late
6	D	145	115
8	D	135	125
9	D	130	130
10	D	125	135
12	D	115	145

6	T	135	125
8	T	125	135
9	T	120	140
10	T	115	145
12	T	105	155
So, in the example Vigors cited, the 14 horse had a much higher late rating than the others because he had been closing well in turf routes and was cutting back to 6f. Obviously this doesn't always result in the horse being competitive. In this case, the pace was really fast and set up nicely for the closer. That isn't rare when the pace gets extreme, slow or fast. The winner often looks good on the early/late ratings.

Another horse in the same race, the 3, was a good example in the other direction. She had her most success running long on the lead in turf races. But cutting back to a sprint, her early speed rating was pretty low and placed her midpack. She couldn't keep up with the sprinters early, raced in midpack and pretty much stayed there all the way around.

It isn't easy to predict the extreme pace scenarios though. TimeformUS didn't indicate the pace was likely to be fast for the Laurel race yesterday. Sometimes we nail it, but of course not always.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

CJ,

"The ratings are designed so that any horse can be compared to any other horse. Horses that have been racing on different surfaces and at very different distances can and often do meet up in the same race."

Do the ratings travel to other tracks well...? Meaning, are they interchangeable between tracks....? I recently learned that DRF speed rating/ variant are track specific, that a 100-10 at one track is not equal to a 100-10 at another track...I sure this it what Beyer, in part, was addressing in creating the Beyer number...

It seems like each track should have a baseline surface coefficient established vis-a-vis other tracks...

So, for exampe, are the TimeformUS pace ratings of 75 early, 100 late at Del Mar equal to same figures at Belmont Park...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
CJ,

"The ratings are designed so that any horse can be compared to any other horse. Horses that have been racing on different surfaces and at very different distances can and often do meet up in the same race."

Do the ratings travel to other tracks well...? Meaning, are they interchangeable between tracks....? I recently learned that DRF speed rating/ variant are track specific, that a 100-10 at one track is not equal to a 100-10 at another track...I sure this it what Beyer, in part, was addressing in creating the Beyer number...

It seems like each track should have a baseline surface coefficient established vis-a-vis other tracks...

So, for exampe, are the TimeformUS pace ratings of 75 early, 100 late at Del Mar equal to same figures at Belmont Park...?
Yes, no different than the speed figures. They travel. That is the toughest part and I work to keep that up to date. It isn't always perfect.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
GMB@BP

One of the things I have been meaning to study, and if I actually knew anything about databasing this would be much easier but I wonder how many times say a horse who is a mid pack runner in the pace project who finds himself near the early lead ends up winning...then say a late closer who in the pace projector finds themselves in mid pack. I use these two as its a bit hidden to the public without pace figures. If a horse who can close doenst have to exert much energy to keep up it seems to me they have a much better chances of winning.

Now this can go the opposite, a closer who has been doing well as of late suddenly finds h imself with better horses, now his 80 early pace figure places him 15 lengths back rather than the 7 or 8 lengths he has had in his last few setups.

Identifying this is really hard but again I alway look for hidden things and this angle is a bit hidden from the normal player.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2019, 01:01 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Couldn't find the thread I really wanted to post this in, but this one works...

In the 6th at Del Mar today, the much the best Late Pace figure won in a race predicted to have a fast pace. He paid $150.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...112419USA6.pdf
Old 11-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Couldn't find the thread I really wanted to post this in, but this one works...

In the 6th at Del Mar today, the much the best Late Pace figure won in a race predicted to have a fast pace. He paid $150.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...112419USA6.pdf
Only? $150
Old 11-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Horse probably paid way too much, but focusing on a single data point like this will always produce huge prices, sometime, randomly .

It's a form of numerology.

Now, if you can show a decent sample, where this angle is profitable or at least better than a random takeout loser, we can talk about it.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That decent sample is out there.
I have posted many times the exact same thing, but just not for that much!

Probably one of the best all time spot plays I have ever seen.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Horse probably paid way too much, but focusing on a single data point like this will always produce huge prices, sometime, randomly .

Now, if you can show a decent sample, where this angle is profitable or at least better than a random takeout loser, we can talk about it.
I agree with your general point and can't vouch for the flat bet profitability of a large sample of races using any specific numbers, but I can tell you that if a race melts down, some really big longshot closers will often hit the board or light it up to win, especially if they also happened to get a perfect ground saving trip or it was a track that was favoring closers.

The real problem is that first you have to be right about the pace, then the pace has to actually cause a meltdown (sometimes it's fast but does not melt down), and then you have to have the best closer or the closer that got the best trip. That's a lot of "ifs" when you know you are betting an inferior horse that needs everything to go right. That said, it's a good angle when the conditions are just right for a meltdown.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #13
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

The only problem with the horse was the 378 day layoff. That hasn’t been mentioned.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You mentioned it, and apparently it wasn't a problem.

ZIA PArk Free race today - coming up in 13 minutes - PP says Fast Pace.

Top two LP horses by a good margin are:

(98)
(83)

(70)

Let's see what happens.

CJ - question on this race - #1 EP has a 9 point advantage - is that roughly 2 lengths? ( 1 length = 10 pts?)
Old 11-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post

It is profitable, I've posted about it before. I couldn't find the thread though. It's far from numerology.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: