Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 12-06-2021, 10:36 PM   #16
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
There are too many good programs out there to go thru writing your own. Or use a spreadsheet

Spend the money on a good program and it will do much more than you could learn in 5 years.

Don’t under value your time. It’s one thing most people do. Pay yourself back in time
I have to completely disagree with this statement! Depending on with data you want to use if you can find someone who already has the structure completed it would be pretty easy for them to program your ideas. I have invested strictly race track winnings into all of the my own personal software programs.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #17
wiretowire68

I agree, would love to design software similar to Valuecapper with the exception of my ideas on form/times/pars/biases and to be able to use a drf past performance or a brisnet file or even equibase pp and be able to bring it up while viewing both. It is a question of time and money. Listen you can incorporate a million angles including the horse looking at you in the post parade..lol. I am just not very good at excel or google sheets in terms of statistical math. I believe like most, form patterns/workouts/ class etc, etc. I think there are progressions in horses in terms of cycles, age and you can see it progress or improvement in form and you see regression in numbers, thus knowing when a horse is going bad and overbet. It is rocket science in terms of programming it to me anyway, but not when you for eg. yesterday, did a rather long analysis using most of somebody elses mathematical techniques with some extra math in terms of adding/averaging out and it pretty much comes down to who the winner was which was race # 9 Gulfstream today, My numbers clearly show the 6 horse lead in most categories and he won opens 5/2 M/L and gets 6/5. second choice.
My analysis showed the 6-4-5-2 in terms of all basic form categories. However, horses with numbers just outside of those 4 would be considered your Value horses in terms of money gambled to set the odds off. The 6 had all the big numbers and was the Fav. and he deserved to be the fav. and paper showed it and computered showed. However, in my tournament play on the Sport of Kings. I being 1 for 2 this week and no lie, the day I did the analysis of Monday's race with my sheets, the 5 at Mountaineer was the top horse and I did not use, used what I liked and guess what the 5 wins Monday I believe race 6 and pays 14.00 so 5-1 with M/L of 7/2. Today, I originally type in the # 9 horse at Gulfstream because he will be the overlay whereby his numbers are not so bad. But me..dumb, I used the next overlay within the same #s the # 7 Mirabel Mei, and dumb, dumb, dumb. If you look at the race results of Gulfstream today, race # 9. # 6 Sweet Serenade-# 9 Serenade a Kitten 8- # 8 Grand Ave. # 7 Mirabell Mei runs 4.

So... I know that even though that computers can do as much predicting as you want and you can break it down a million times with the math that has already been designed. I guess my curiousity in terms designing something that is specific and will sell is what would drive me. It comes down to price, advertising and data.

I wish I would have learned code.......
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #18
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
I agree, would love to design software similar to Valuecapper with the exception of my ideas on form/times/pars/biases and to be able to use a drf past performance or a brisnet file or even equibase pp and be able to bring it up while viewing both. It is a question of time and money. Listen you can incorporate a million angles including the horse looking at you in the post parade..lol. I am just not very good at excel or google sheets in terms of statistical math. I believe like most, form patterns/workouts/ class etc, etc. I think there are progressions in horses in terms of cycles, age and you can see it progress or improvement in form and you see regression in numbers, thus knowing when a horse is going bad and overbet. It is rocket science in terms of programming it to me anyway, but not when you for eg. yesterday, did a rather long analysis using most of somebody elses mathematical techniques with some extra math in terms of adding/averaging out and it pretty much comes down to who the winner was which was race # 9 Gulfstream today, My numbers clearly show the 6 horse lead in most categories and he won opens 5/2 M/L and gets 6/5. second choice.
My analysis showed the 6-4-5-2 in terms of all basic form categories. However, horses with numbers just outside of those 4 would be considered your Value horses in terms of money gambled to set the odds off. The 6 had all the big numbers and was the Fav. and he deserved to be the fav. and paper showed it and computered showed. However, in my tournament play on the Sport of Kings. I being 1 for 2 this week and no lie, the day I did the analysis of Monday's race with my sheets, the 5 at Mountaineer was the top horse and I did not use, used what I liked and guess what the 5 wins Monday I believe race 6 and pays 14.00 so 5-1 with M/L of 7/2. Today, I originally type in the # 9 horse at Gulfstream because he will be the overlay whereby his numbers are not so bad. But me..dumb, I used the next overlay within the same #s the # 7 Mirabel Mei, and dumb, dumb, dumb. If you look at the race results of Gulfstream today, race # 9. # 6 Sweet Serenade-# 9 Serenade a Kitten 8- # 8 Grand Ave. # 7 Mirabell Mei runs 4.

So... I know that even though that computers can do as much predicting as you want and you can break it down a million times with the math that has already been designed. I guess my curiousity in terms designing something that is specific and will sell is what would drive me. It comes down to price, advertising and data.

I wish I would have learned code.......
W2W....

Don't under estimate using Excel in doing your handicapping ....
I had no experience in Excel or Access . Many YouTube videos and help from MrExcel forum got me to a point that I can do most objectives that were in my head.
The number one obstacle is getting data in a usable format.
As someone mentioned, AllData did that . (and its free)
Most of using the data can be done with basic math, + - * /

You do need time to learn but the payoff will be rewarding ....

Mike

PS- heres a snip of what its PP's gives you......

Each of those cells with numbers can be used anyway you want...

Not bad for FREE!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (484.5 KB, 124 views)
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #19
wiretowire68

Yes..that seems all good, but figuring out how to insert a bris file or a drf file is a nightmare trying to figure out fit it in the windows, I inserted a bris into sheets and I have no idea where to start in terms of the formatting of it. I am searching for help on it.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:14 PM   #20
ranchwest

Quote:
Yes..that seems all good, but figuring out how to insert a bris file or a drf file is a nightmare trying to figure out fit it in the windows, I inserted a bris into sheets and I have no idea where to start in terms of the formatting of it. I am searching for help on it.
The single file BRIS and I believe DRF files are comma-delimited. There should be an option in your spreadsheet program to import a CSV or comma-delimited file.

It becomes a daunting task at that point. There's 1435 data elements. That's why it would probably be easier to start with one of the established spreadsheets. BRIS has files for the format of the data elements... but they don't provide definitions for every element that has useful data.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #21
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
There are about 10 videos on You Tube to get started with....

Its not as complicated as you think....

if you need help , just ask

Mike

PS-
Sheets and Excel has no idea where you put the data because its dumb ...you need to tell every bit of where it should go....

Alldata has it built in....It will read the bris file and put every bit of info in a certain place where the rest of the sheets can read and do its thing...

Last edited by geroge.burns99; 12-13-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:46 PM   #22
Michael

@geroge.burns99

Let me get this straight... you're using the Allways program to get the past performance info into a usable format.

THEN using excel... you're massaging the numbers to suit your handicapping?

or are you just downloading the comma delineated files and importing it into excel?

Can you link to those youtube videos so I can see if my feable brain can handle the learning curve?
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #23
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
@geroge.burns99

Let me get this straight... you're using the Allways program to get the past performance info into a usable format.

THEN using excel... you're massaging the numbers to suit your handicapping?

or are you just downloading the comma delineated files and importing it into excel?

Can you link to those youtube videos so I can see if my feable brain can handle the learning curve?
Alldata will take your Bris or JCP file and put into the format that I've shown above...

After that you can create a new sheet and use the data in those PP's by linking the cells...

The first couple of videos here will get you started

after that its up to you

https://www.youtube.com/user/AllDataExcel/videos

like I said ....ask questions and I'll try to help

Mike
Old 12-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #24
Michael

@Mike

Very much appreciated

This is pretty much exactly what I need. I'm a pen and paper guy that's half paper, half excel these days. When I see things like this... this would just make my life easier (I hope )
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #25
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
@Mike

Very much appreciated

This is pretty much exactly what I need. I'm a pen and paper guy that's half paper, half excel these days. When I see things like this... this would just make my life easier (I hope )
Good luck and keep in touch....

Mike
Old 12-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #26
wiretowire68

I figured out how to get the drf pps. into google sheets and brisnet into google sheets. The daunting task getting it to fit. After that, telling the spreadsheet to extrapulate the data I have inputted to spit out everything from speed to fps. velocity to Early to Late. etc. Now I know why all the well known handicappers unless their background was programming went to software guys and had them develop the idea. Right now, I have put in many well known angles pluse a few other rinkles and given them a numerical value based on winning percentages etc and fundamental experience. Last night did the work on Penn. National race #6. I was impressed that it was pretty accurate using drf pp. It came out whereby all four contenders in terms of Beyer/Track Var. Pace/ etc. were between the 5/8 and second choice was false. I used the 8 who got beat by the 5 in tournament play. I have given up trying to get the pps. to fit. I just do not have the patients for the amount of work. It takes a long time to handicapp one race and input the data.

Chuck
Old 12-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #27
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
I figured out how to get the drf pps. into google sheets and brisnet into google sheets. The daunting task getting it to fit. After that, telling the spreadsheet to extrapulate the data I have inputted to spit out everything from speed to fps. velocity to Early to Late. etc. Now I know why all the well known handicappers unless their background was programming went to software guys and had them develop the idea. Right now, I have put in many well known angles pluse a few other rinkles and given them a numerical value based on winning percentages etc and fundamental experience. Last night did the work on Penn. National race #6. I was impressed that it was pretty accurate using drf pp. It came out whereby all four contenders in terms of Beyer/Track Var. Pace/ etc. were between the 5/8 and second choice was false. I used the 8 who got beat by the 5 in tournament play. I have given up trying to get the pps. to fit. I just do not have the patients for the amount of work. It takes a long time to handicapp one race and input the data.

Chuck
Persistence and Chuck did it

Would you mind a Picture of it?

And a brief how you did it...

if you don't mind

thxs

Mike
Old 12-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #28
wiretowire68

Ya.. I will do a play a play. And make you a deal, if you can tell me how to make them fit into the sheet. Once you get it.

Chuck
Old 12-23-2021, 01:21 PM   #29
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Ya.. I will do a play a play. And make you a deal, if you can tell me how to make them fit into the sheet. Once you get it.

Chuck
Old 12-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #30
wiretowire68

So do you know how to make this in google sheets? if you do please let me know how