Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
Dave Schwartz

Whales: A Little Back Story (blog post)

We're still in soft launch mode, but here's a link to a new blog post series about Bill Benter. Nothing earth shattering but it does have implications for horse players.

(No membership required.)
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #2
thaskalos

One way to look at the past performances is as cooking ingredients for a recipe...but there is another way, IMO. I view them as art supplies for an artist. Two artists pick up the exact same brushes, paints and canvases. But one's finished work hangs on the walls of famous museums...while the other's gathers dust in remote garage corners.

As far as I am concerned, the "uniqueness" lies not in our tools, but in our skill level.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
We're still in soft launch mode, but here's a link to a new blog post series about Bill Benter. Nothing earth shattering but it does have implications for horse players.

(No membership required.)

Not sure about Benter, but apart from that, it's a work of fiction..
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2021, 11:09 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
Not sure about Benter, but apart from that, it's a work of fiction..
LOL
It's so nice to have supporters everywhere.

Which part do you feel is fictional?
Old 11-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
One way to look at the past performances is as cooking ingredients for a recipe...but there is another way, IMO. I view them as art supplies for an artist. Two artists pick up the exact same brushes, paints and canvases. But one's finished work hangs on the walls of famous museums...while the other's gathers dust in remote garage corners.

As far as I am concerned, the "uniqueness" lies not in our tools, but in our skill level.
Here’s a variation on that.

Some guitarists have immense knowledge, skills and talents, but others with less to work with are way better artists. There are guys all over the internet that can shred, have tons of musical knowledge and do all sorts of amazing things, but I’d way rather listen to a slow David Gilmour lead full of feeling.

In racing you can have tons of insights, endless data etc.. but a guy with one very good insight in a particular type of race or situation that sticks to what he knows really well can get better results.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Here’s a variation on that.

Some guitarists have immense knowledge, skills and talents, but others with less to work with are way better artists. There are guys all over the internet that can shred, have tons of musical knowledge and do all sorts of amazing things, but I’d way rather listen to a slow David Gilmour lead full of feeling.

In racing you can have tons of insights, endless data etc.. but a guy with one very good insight in a particular type of race or situation that sticks to what he knows really well can get better results.
Absolutely right.

Also, because the whales - by far our biggest competition - are completely scientific/mathematical as opposed to artful, the artful player is competing in a somewhat different arena.

Quote:
He's still impacted by the whales, of course, but database guys (like me) are really up against it these days because we're using at least similar tools and approaches as they are.
I think that the AGE OF THE ARTFUL HANDICAPPER is making a comeback.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
teddy

I know whales....

They have different edges.... some do shoe boards. Some make their own figs. Either way they hedge exactas with huge bates and the edge to skim 5 to 10 percent off the small fries.... much like the stock market. But less computerized.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
They have different edges.... some do shoe boards. Some make their own figs. Either way they hedge exactas with huge bates and the edge to skim 5 to 10 percent off the small fries.... much like the stock market. But less computerized.
Sorry, but none of the whales do any of that, Teddy.

It's pure data & software.

If anything, they're MORE computerized.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
teddy

LOL We did their computations manually. Hate to tell you. My brother did it daily. The reasons computers dont work is you have 100 indians doing the same shit. Its pure shovel selling just like the stock brokers that sell dummys programs like TOS to mine angles for stocks. I was in their room at The ORLEANS with 6 tvs. 100 racing forms they pulled from... They made millions and millions. They bet 25 k per race in exact and tri. Removed horses that had no shot and put in the biased horses. We got so many comps we couldnt eat all the prime ribs.. Had to go to fast food because we got bored with 5 stars...

The other whales did exactas from NYC tracks with shoe boards. They actually took picks from3 sources and used it somehow... I dont know their system but they did own an ADW... so they had no takeout hardly..... SEE thats brilliant. Thats an EDGE... 3 % takeout on exactas probably.

NO COMPUTERS NEEDED haha
Old 11-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
LOL We did their computations manually. Hate to tell you. My brother did it daily. The reasons computers dont work is you have 100 indians doing the same shit. Its pure shovel selling just like the stock brokers that sell dummys programs like TOS to mine angles for stocks. I was in their room at The ORLEANS with 6 tvs. 100 racing forms they pulled from... They made millions and millions. They bet 25 k per race in exact and tri. Removed horses that had no shot and put in the biased horses. We got so many comps we couldnt eat all the prime ribs.. Had to go to fast food because we got bored with 5 stars...

The other whales did exactas from NYC tracks with shoe boards. They actually took picks from3 sources and used it somehow... I dont know their system but they did own an ADW... so they had no takeout hardly..... SEE thats brilliant. Thats an EDGE... 3 % takeout on exactas probably.

NO COMPUTERS NEEDED haha
Not the same whales. LOL

How many of these guys bet $100,000,000 a year, Teddy?

How about $300,000,000?
Old 11-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #11
teddy

20 years ago they bet 300k a day ....They made millions. How much do you need?.... once your a millionaire you will find that money stops meaning anything after 2 million. Sorry but its true... You cant spend a grand a day if you tried. Making 100 milllion a year is no different than making a 4 million. Once they get to say 4 million its boring to them. Thrill is gone... Gambling is thrill based endeavor and once you are rich its just not the same... I won a 80 k bet on a pick 5 this year and it was hum ho ..... When I was poor it would of been poppin bottles. IF your whales are still excited its because they are having losing years.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
teddy

Foot note.. my whales made so much they got on drugs, bought stupid shit, got took by the entourage, crashed and burned down to 200k... then went back to the manual play and got off coke.. now they are fine... NO idea what the ADW whales are up to. Probably dead by now.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
20 years ago they bet 300k a day ....They made millions. How much do you need?.... once your a millionaire you will find that money stops meaning anything after 2 million. Sorry but its true... You cant spend a grand a day if you tried. Making 100 milllion a year is no different than making a 4 million. Once they get to say 4 million its boring to them. Thrill is gone... Gambling is thrill based endeavor and once you are rich its just not the same... I won a 80 k bet on a pick 5 this year and it was hum ho ..... When I was poor it would of been poppin bottles. IF your whales are still excited its because they are having losing years.
That's the main reason why I try my best to remain poor. I want my big wins to mean something to me.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #14
castaway01

Quote:
Yeah, you see a lot of guys who won big as a whale and then hit $80,000 on a Pick 5 posting about a new "exacta system" that is so basic you'd think the person never saw a horse race. Really makes you believe their stories.
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #15
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
This post is a perfect example of why I only believe posts from about 4 or 5 members here. Recently you posted a mediocre exacta idea, asked for a bad post button here instead of on the HTR forum where Ken can see it, and had some other amateurish handicapping posts. And yet we are to believe that you are some kind of insider who can hit and $80K payoff? Color me skeptical.

Perhaps you were a contestant on the To Tell The Truth game show back in the 60s. "Will the real Teddy please stand up."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: