Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacenoid View Post
What's wrong with Taylor?
Curious how people think she did, I didn't see her yesterday. I'd guess well or this thread would have grown.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #17
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’m in Texas and I watch Tvg all the time on Dish network.

I have had RTN too via ROKU

Now betting, that’s a different story
My point is that fresh viewers don't subscribe to RTN and only a small portion of people have Dish Network.

Belmont, Churchill, Finger Lakes and other tracks are available on YouTube and in the past all of the BC races were on network television. Now the "world championship" is the best kept secret in the world.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #18
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
You just realizing now that noone in US racing gives a f about the bettors or getting new customers? It's just one large welfare state of various groups who feel they are entitled to money.
If anything I said gave you that impression, then I sincerely apologize. I go back to the days when you could not make a phone call from a racetrack.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:03 PM   #19
AMPHAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Curious how people think she did, I didn't see her yesterday. I'd guess well or this thread would have grown.
Very good, IMO
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #20
Equifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
She may have done fine. I'll yield to those that did for evaluation.
Equifan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #21
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equifan View Post
This is yet another example, IMHO, of the media-as-a-whole's lack of
good business practices -- caving to "social justice", un-equal
opportunity, etc, etc, etc.......

"Maria Taylor makes her horse racing debut as the host of the prime time show Saturday at 8 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock."

I don't know how exactly how large a role she will have during the broadcast, but, on racing's "2nd biggest day", this ain't the time to debut live rookie talent (talent being the industry descriptive term) in a spotlight role.

If you aren't familiar with Ms. Taylor's story/background a quick Google query will lay it out.
This is a pretty horrendous take. Maria Taylor has hosted NBA Finals studio shows, Football Night in America broadcasts, and college football’s most successful pregame show. And you’re worried why? Because she’s a woman, minority, or both? The line about caving to social justice sounds like a rallying cry at a Klan meeting.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #22
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
This is a pretty horrendous take. Maria Taylor has hosted NBA Finals studio shows, Football Night in America broadcasts, and college football’s most successful pregame show. And you’re worried why? Because she’s a woman, minority, or both? The line about caving to social justice sounds like a rallying cry at a Klan meeting.
I don't think it was meant like that. The complaint about networks putting people on horse racing telecasts who don't know about horse racing is of long standing. I first heard it about Dick Enberg and Howard Cosell. More recently, it was made of Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski.

It's not due to Taylor's race or gender. It's just that we have a pretty specialized sport and there's been a lot of these folks who really didn't distinguish themselves on the air in the past.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
RTN (which has a fee) and TVG are both for handicappers. The racing industry is shutting out the public, the fertile ground for potential customers. If a novice wants to learn about horse racing, the industry does not want their interest. I am unable to wager over the internet because of the wishes of the race tracks in the state. What sort of public relations is this?
TVG is on Youtube TV as well. The Monday and Tuesday shows with Rich Perloff
are pretty much geared to horse racing 101 folks, with ongoing interaction, questions, examples on video and from the form. He does a really good job, IMHO, of educating.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #24
burnsy
self medicated

I don’t even know who she is but I get a kick out of the handicappers. I mean, how many years has this thing been going? Every year they tell folks how chalky it’s gonna be……. It never is. The “new” guy with the glasses and the statistics is the worse at making a ticket. Which is pretty much the most important thing. Yeah buddy, I’m gonna single Gamine , Life Is Good, Jackie’s Warrior and save money or get 4-1 or whatever the hell you’re selling. When my math tells me 1 or 2 of those will win. It’s hilarious. I’d rather look at the hot babe than listen to that so called “info “ any day . It’s the Breeders Cup cause it’s hard to win. The favorite hit rate is lower than a normal day almost every year. I love it! You’ll cash a ticket like that when pigs 🐖 fly! And if you do it will pay 💰 29.20
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2021, 03:43 PM   #25
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I don’t even know who she is but I get a kick out of the handicappers. I mean, how many years has this thing been going? Every year they tell folks how chalky it’s gonna be……. It never is. The “new” guy with the glasses and the statistics is the worse at making a ticket. Which is pretty much the most important thing. Yeah buddy, I’m gonna single Gamine , Life Is Good, Jackie’s Warrior and save money or get 4-1 or whatever the hell you’re selling. When my math tells me 1 or 2 of those will win. It’s hilarious. I’d rather look at the hot babe than listen to that so called “info “ any day . It’s the Breeders Cup cause it’s hard to win. The favorite hit rate is lower than a normal day almost every year. I love it! You’ll cash a ticket like that when pigs �� fly! And if you do it will pay �� 29.20
I have always had a theory about public handicappers, including the folks on NBC and even TVG. And that is, because media is consumed in the short term, they figure it does no good to stray too far from the chalk, because the only credit you ever get is when you pick a winner, even one that pays $6.20.

The reality of variance means that you could be really amazing at putting together high value pick 5 tickets but unless you luck out, one of them will never end up going over the air and winning. And even if one does, at the most, you get ephemeral credit, like Trevor Plouffe, the guy who tweeted on March 31 that the Braves would beat the Astros in 6 games in the World Series got. There's no value to a TV personality or newspaper guy in seeking value and hitting an occasional big price.

And that's probably even more true on NBC than on other outlets, because they televise so few races and the people watching them are drawn more from the general public.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #26
burnsy
self medicated

That’s a pretty accurate account dilanesp. I agree, the problem
is people that don’t handicap or rarely do are tuning in. They actually believe that garbage. So, I’m pretty sure there are tickets going that way. It’s great for a horse player. That’s what I call dead money and it’s the reason I like the the biggest days and the biggest races. The chalk is gonna come no where near even 50% let alone the way many of these guys portray their “tips “ . I live in Capital OTB land and even some of those guys were ridiculous. All the races they said you couldn’t beat the favorite……. It lost….. with exception of one . If one is sharp and does their homework, many a good day can be had. I often wonder if these people say one thing and bet something else.! Cause if you’ve been doing this for a while…… you can’t be that naïve.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #27
classhandicapper

IMO most of the people that cover sports on TV and in the newspapers are not experts in the sports they cover. They have other skills. The sport itself is a secondary interest. I think as long as a broadcast adds some experts to the more trained television/media people it works fine.

The NBA likes to use ex coaches as part of their broadcast because ex coaches can explain the details of the offensive and defensive plays, the matchups, and why the game is developing the way it is over and above the color commentary.

FOX does a good job. Jockeys and trainers bring something to the table over and above the handicapping expertise that is also essential.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-09-2021 at 09:19 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #28
mountainman

She seems smooth, unflappable, and extremely sharp. I do think she comes across as a tad insincere at times. I give her a B+

Last edited by mountainman; 11-09-2021 at 10:28 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #29
the little guy

This is all too funny
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #30
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I miss Muttonchops.