Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 12-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
Michael

Linux based: Handicapping Softare?

So I've tecently had an itch to try and test out new modes of handicapping. I've even been testing out new past performances to see if I can incorporate them into the fold.

That said, I don't use a windows based operating system anymore. I've been using Linux for the past 5 or 6 years. Wanted to see if anyone here on this board knows if there's handicapping softare that will run on linux?
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #2
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
So I've tecently had an itch to try and test out new modes of handicapping. I've even been testing out new past performances to see if I can incorporate them into the fold.

That said, I don't use a windows based operating system anymore. I've been using Linux for the past 5 or 6 years. Wanted to see if anyone here on this board knows if there's handicapping softare that will run on linux?
By now , I guess you have your answer.....

I personally never heard of such a program.....

So what do you do?

I know MAC has Parrells to get Windows programs to work..

Does Linux have such a Program?

Wine? LibreOffice?

Mike
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
headhawg
crusty old guy

The handicapping software market is tiny; it's "mini-niche". Shrinking that market further by writing for Linux would have to come from a coder who is in love with that OS and has no expectations of making money from sales. There are Linux members on this board so maybe they will chime in, but you probably need an emulator like WINE. My guess is that most Windows handicapping will work fine as they are not resource intensive. Programs like HSH or JCapper might be too sophisticated to run efficiently through an emulator. If one of those top-level programs interests you, contact the vendor directly. I am sure they would know their software runs on a Linux emulator.

You probably already know about these, Michael, but here is a link to a list of emulators. 15 Windows Emulators
Old 12-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
The handicapping software market is tiny; it's "mini-niche". Shrinking that market further by writing for Linux would have to come from a coder who is in love with that OS and has no expectations of making money from sales. There are Linux members on this board so maybe they will chime in, but you probably need an emulator like WINE. My guess is that most Windows handicapping will work fine as they are not resource intensive. Programs like HSH or JCapper might be too sophisticated to run efficiently through an emulator. If one of those top-level programs interests you, contact the vendor directly. I am sure they would know their software runs on a Linux emulator.

You probably already know about these, Michael, but here is a link to a list of emulators. 15 Windows Emulators
Thxs for the link HH....thats good to know...

I love Virtual Box.....I have Windows back to XP working fine With my Win 10...

Last edited by geroge.burns99; 12-18-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
By now , I guess you have your answer.....

I personally never heard of such a program.....

So what do you do?

I know MAC has Parrells to get Windows programs to work..

Does Linux have such a Program?

Wine? LibreOffice?

Mike
HA, it was definately a longshot!

Mac is a close cousin to linux and I believe they're based off off the "BSD" License. In the same respect linux's parrells is like you say.. wine, or run it through a virtual box. I do use libre office and it's fantastic.

For me at least... It's kind of backwards to go from linux to windows through these routes though... akin to running back into a burning house to make sure you turned off the stove.

I figured I'd ask bc there's so many great handicapping projects that you never know what's actually out there.

Looks like I'm going to end up looking into running it on a spare computer to save my tin foil hat computer privacy sanity.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post

thanks for the extra set of eyes on this issue. Worth a shot just incase someone had created something cool. Looks like shoe horning into Windows seems to be the best option if I want to use software.

I see things like Equine edge and it's browser based. Might be my best option... I''m really strongheaded and pretty adamant on never returning to windows... might have to push my personal views to the side and give it a try. thanks for the post headhawg

I looked in the arch AUR... and the only gambling projects "blocked" access to sites so you didn't get tempted into gambling. Kind of laughed as I want to go the exact opposite direction!
Old 12-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #7
senortout

Michael...

Are you dual booting? I have been using Linux but now and then, I boot into Windows 10 in the morning, mainly just to keep it updated but sometimes to use a program or two which Microsoft might be doing a better job with. Most of the stuff I use has Linux performing admirably well. Linux updates are faster and hassle-free; Windows 10, not so much. I have good art drawing programs on both, good use of browsers and choice of browsers exp. now that Microsoft Edge has a version for Linux. Dual booting is preferred to using virtualbox because dual booting puts all your hardware to its best use ie nvidia graphics card if you have one in your system, or amd graphics card. ps I can use any wagering sites I want in Linux, and gambling sites are not off-limit to me. (using Ubuntu 20.04.3 at present time) ps I have Libreoffice as my office suite, use Calibre for ebook conversion, have access to 6 or 7 different browsers (yet stick to Firefox or Edge and have uninstalled the others)

Quote:
thanks for the extra set of eyes on this issue. Worth a shot just incase someone had created something cool. Looks like shoe horning into Windows seems to be the best option if I want to use software.

I see things like Equine edge and it's browser based. Might be my best option... I''m really strongheaded and pretty adamant on never returning to windows... might have to push my personal views to the side and give it a try. thanks for the post headhawg

I looked in the arch AUR... and the only gambling projects "blocked" access to sites so you didn't get tempted into gambling. Kind of laughed as I want to go the exact opposite direction!
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2021, 06:42 PM   #8
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by senortout View Post
Are you dual booting? I have been using Linux but now and then, I boot into Windows 10 in the morning, mainly just to keep it updated but sometimes to use a program or two which Microsoft might be doing a better job with. Most of the stuff I use has Linux performing admirably well. Linux updates are faster and hassle-free; Windows 10, not so much. I have good art drawing programs on both, good use of browsers and choice of browsers exp. now that Microsoft Edge has a version for Linux. Dual booting is preferred to using virtualbox because dual booting puts all your hardware to its best use ie nvidia graphics card if you have one in your system, or amd graphics card. ps I can use any wagering sites I want in Linux, and gambling sites are not off-limit to me. (using Ubuntu 20.04.3 at present time) ps I have Libreoffice as my office suite, use Calibre for ebook conversion, have access to 6 or 7 different browsers (yet stick to Firefox or Edge and have uninstalled the others)
Nope, no longer dual booting. I'm one of those tin foil hat tech nerds that really doesn't appreciate Bill Gates logging my keystrokes and owning all my files that I keep on my computer. I have nothing to hide but at the same time I protect my files and information bc for some reason our information somehow always gets sold to 3rd parties.

For the most part I love linux and will never go back to windows. I think equine edge will likely be my best option for handicapping tech. I'm currently running 3 computers. 2 with mainline arch and 1 with Linux Mint. What's scary is web browers like firefox are now keeping ports open and logging your keystrokes for websites. If you really want to get creeped out... visit sites and see which sites it's not tracking. It tells you who's at the top of the pecking order.

It's really starting to get ugly. I love arch bc it's my own operating system. I don't have blue tooth files installed and nothing talks to other tech items I own unless I let it. I choose when to update files and I have complete control over which files are downloaded. It's like my own tech lego creation. My hardware is a pile of crap but my computer runs better than most with cutting edge equipment. The downside is I don't have access to horse handicapping software. I'm doing just fine with paper and pen and libreoffice.

Which reminds me... it's christmas I have to donate to libreoffice
Old 12-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Nope, no longer dual booting. I'm one of those tin foil hat tech nerds that really doesn't appreciate Bill Gates logging my keystrokes and owning all my files that I keep on my computer. I have nothing to hide but at the same time I protect my files and information bc for some reason our information somehow always gets sold to 3rd parties.

For the most part I love linux and will never go back to windows. I think equine edge will likely be my best option for handicapping tech. I'm currently running 3 computers. 2 with mainline arch and 1 with Linux Mint. What's scary is web browers like firefox are now keeping ports open and logging your keystrokes for websites. If you really want to get creeped out... visit sites and see which sites it's not tracking. It tells you who's at the top of the pecking order.

It's really starting to get ugly. I love arch bc it's my own operating system. I don't have blue tooth files installed and nothing talks to other tech items I own unless I let it. I choose when to update files and I have complete control over which files are downloaded. It's like my own tech lego creation. My hardware is a pile of crap but my computer runs better than most with cutting edge equipment. The downside is I don't have access to horse handicapping software. I'm doing just fine with paper and pen and libreoffice.

Which reminds me... it's christmas I have to donate to libreoffice
Paranoia at its best....they will still get you
Old 12-25-2021, 07:22 PM   #10
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
Paranoia at its best....they will still get you
I'm not hiding anything and it's not paranoia. In fact Michael is my real name and I live on long Island. However, I won't just allow microsoft to own my digital property. It's an easy choice for me... to each their own though.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:31 PM   #11
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not hiding anything and it's not paranoia. In fact Michael is my real name and I live on long Island. However, I won't just allow microsoft to own my digital property. It's an easy choice for me... to each their own though.
Its not just Microsoft that's tracking you.....

The world knows how many times you've been on the Southern State Parkway in the past 6 months