Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #1
Half Smoke

interesting post potential edge from other forum

Tampa 11/24 race 4 the fave Super Edgar - 2.90/1 - broke thru the gate and wasn't scratched - he reloaded (chart linked)

poster loaded up big and bet against him somewhere and cleaned up

2 interesting points (to me anyway)

he says track should have scratched him

when this happens he says its great for someone to go against the fave

other posters on this forum agreed

also, do you think fave acting up before loading but not this extreme calls for a bet against him?

I don't make a lot of very late bets but I think it's possible at many tracks before they're all in line

comments? you guys are the real experts

https://www.equibase.com/premium/cha...21&cy=USA&rn=4

Last edited by Half Smoke; 12-06-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
ranchwest

I think you should have a solid understanding of physicality handicapping before putting in any serious money (whatever that means to YOU) based on a horse's appearance or actions, whether it is loading into the gates or otherwise. I've also seen horses break through the gate and win, though that isn't what usually happens. If a horse were to break through the gate before I have bet, I probably would not bet the race because it is just too risky both ways.

Last edited by ranchwest; 12-06-2021 at 05:42 PM.
ranchwest is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
davew

it probably lowers the win percentage some, but they still win

usually those that break through the gate are fast starters anyway
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
mountainman

Most slow breakers, the habitual kind, that is, misbehave in and around the gate. Thus, if I knew to begin with that the favorite had gate issues, I would stand pat-whatever my locked in course of action-or non-action. Should the incident be uncharacteristic of the chalk, however, a sharp player might capitalize with quick action.

Ironically enough, given an intervening vet-exam and a moment to chill, the bad actor's chances of breaking atypically well probably improve by virtue of the incident. Consider the old adage about "the squeaky wheel." An official starter usually takes extra pains get a horse away well that has delayed the proceedings.

My post does not relate to instances of extreme misbehavior.

Last edited by mountainman; 12-25-2021 at 02:08 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
MJC922

It's definitely a net-negative, with that said nothing is going to be 100% foolproof. When I played full time there was an old warhorse from FL named Mt. Rushmore, used to visibly limp into the winners circle. Some horses are game no matter what.
Old 12-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
It's definitely a net-negative, with that said nothing is going to be 100% foolproof. When I played full time there was an old warhorse from FL named Mt. Rushmore, used to visibly limp into the winners circle. Some horses are game no matter what.
I remember him, I've horses vanned off that looked sounder. We had one old warrior who used to stand perfectly still in the paddock with his eyes closed. I swear you could hear him snoring! But when the gate opened, has hell bent for the lead and looked like Dr. Fager.
Old 12-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #7
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I remember him, I've horses vanned off that looked sounder. We had one old warrior who used to stand perfectly still in the paddock with his eyes closed. I swear you could hear him snoring! But when the gate opened, has hell bent for the lead and looked like Dr. Fager.
Ahh, the good old days. Merry Christmas to you sir. Raising my rum and egg nog toasting both to you and Sagely, racing definitely needs more Sagely's. We need 8 year old kids at their local track cheering on Sagely after the $2 win bet grandma put in for them.

Last edited by MJC922; 12-25-2021 at 04:38 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2021, 10:43 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

SAGELY!
What a horse! Crowd loved him, Silver Fir, 15 yo who kept winning, and of course, Mountain Man!

What I wouldn't give for one more of those days at the thumb! Stands full, you had to have someone save your seats, Ross Morton yelling "Here comes Sagely, he's going to do it again!"

Merry Christmas, ! toast my CC & Ginger to your rum & nogg!

https://www.equibase.com/profiles/Re...istry=T&rbt=TB

https://www.equibase.com/profiles/Re...istry=T&rbt=TB

Last edited by Tom; 12-25-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2021, 04:01 AM   #9
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Correct. I see a horse I bet go though the gate. I automatically cancel my bet. Sure they win occasionally but usually it saves money in the long term.

When I used to bet the exchange, it was easy money to bet against such horse.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply