Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-01-2021, 07:32 PM   #1
zico20

Concert Tour in the Preakness

Baffert now has an interesting decision to make. Concert Tour is pointing to the Preakness and he is a need the lead type. Medina Spirit has never been passed in any of his races. I know you train for owners so you probably have to run him, but Baffert is really killing his chances of another Triple Crown winner if Concert Tour goes in the Preakness and goes to the lead. Not that I think Medina Spirt is good enough anyway to win all three, but this would make it that much more difficult.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:05 AM   #2
Rex Phinney

Baffert knows how hard it is to win a Triple Crown. If the horse is good enough todo it, then it won’t matter who he has to race against. If the horse isn’t good enough, then Baffert could win the race for some very high powered owners. That’s not a bad plan B
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
classhandicapper

I saw a quote that leads me to believe Concert Tour may pass the Preakness. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something about the owner wanting to give the horse a chance to develop. That could be a clue.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

If they are both thriving, it would be good for the sport to send and feature, the Kentucky Derby winner.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I saw a quote that leads me to believe Concert Tour may pass the Preakness. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something about the owner wanting to give the horse a chance to develop. That could be a clue.
Yeah, Baffert probably trying to convince the West family not to run would be my guess. Last week he was a go, this week has to wait and see LOL.

Keep in mind the Derby winner is the same horse that wasn't really ridden to win twice against Life Is Good.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yeah, Baffert probably trying to convince the West family not to run would be my guess. Last week he was a go, this week has to wait and see LOL.

Keep in mind the Derby winner is the same horse that wasn't really ridden to win twice against Life Is Good.
Life Is Good was scary-good

Want to see the field, but some potential to be an interesting Preakness.

Could see a little more speed. Sometimes it's counterintuitive, where you question a Medina Spirit at 10f but they actually get an easier overall pace battle in the Derby than they do slightly cutting back.

Some of the rivals (Cox's possible trio of Caddo River, Essential Quality, Mandaloun) may benefit from a smaller field to get a good trip and or influence the pace.

I don't know much about mystery horse "France Go De Ina".

Roll the dice for possible rain.

+hey, it's The Preakness, in Baltimore
Old 05-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Want to see the field, but some potential to be an interesting Preakness.

Could see a little more speed. Sometimes it's counterintuitive, where you question a Medina Spirit at 10f but they actually get an easier overall pace battle in the Derby than they do slightly cutting back.

Some of the rivals (Cox's possible trio of Caddo River, Essential Quality, Mandaloun) may benefit from a smaller field to get a good trip and or influence the pace.

I don't know much about mystery horse "France Go De Ina".

Roll the dice for possible rain.

+hey, it's The Preakness, in Baltimore
Crowded Trade got some buzz on this message board after overcoming a tough beginning in his debut.

His race record is identical to Preakness winner Cloud Computing. 3 sharp workouts since the Wood Memorial.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Crowded Trade got some buzz on this message board after overcoming a tough beginning in his debut.

His race record is identical to Preakness winner Cloud Computing. 3 sharp workouts since the Wood Memorial.
Looks like Concert Tour is a go, Gary West wants to run. Would love to hear the riding instructions!
Old 05-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
Musket Man

Just read the same, Privman reporting, he's a go, for the Preakness.
Musket Man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #10
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Looks like Concert Tour is a go, Gary West wants to run. Would love to hear the riding instructions!
Based on the Sham, Medina Spirit appears able to settle and finish.

Another duel between Caddo River-Concert Tour with Medina Spirit in the garden spot might actually be his best shot to win the Preakness rather than trying to wire the field again.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:07 PM   #11
SkunkApe

Quote:

Another duel between Caddo River-Concert Tour with Medina Spirit in the garden spot might actually be his best shot to win the Preakness rather than trying to wire the field again.
But won’t Essential Quality be hoeing in the same garden (if he’s in)?
SkunkApe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #12
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
EQ should wait for Belmont. Tapits do well there for some reason and the race suites his running style.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #13
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
Essential Quality doesn't have that kind of tactical speed. In his fast pace races (BC, Southwest), he settles much further back. If there's a fast pace he ought to sit back and make one run.

It will be one of Cox's other colts, Mandaloun that will try and sit the same trip. Personally, I'm not convinced he can sit close to a fast pace and finish.

If any of this speculation about the pace is correct, I will be scratching my head as to why O'Neill has already decided against running Hot Rod Charlie.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

I agree with that, certainly a better shot than dueling either one of those two, or both.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #15
Rex Phinney

Is Concert Tour supposed to scare Medina Spirit?

I mean one of them just won the Kentucky Derby taking a huge step forward and the other got rolled up by Super Stock and posted an 87 speed figure.

I don't understand
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply