Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #1
wreckless

Baffert.. Really?

If there was ever a Derby that he wasn't a favorite..

To be honest, this is a good thing. Every sport needs a Heel - not to say he wasn't/isn't already, but to the casuals (which all sports need), this name is becoming synonymous with winning the Derby, which screams 'someone else please win'.

That aside, weather was great, went to a patio with some friends in flawless Vancouver, BC, and enjoyed the race thoroughly.
wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #2
classhandicapper

He almost seemed embarrassed that he won again.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
PowerUpPaynter

The best there ever was... Just amazing.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2021, 10:59 PM   #4
clocker7
Veteran

It was the horse and jockey which did the job

The team got the winner in shape but it took the two that were on the track to complete the mission.

I have never been a Baffert detractor. Those who constantly attack him are enemies of the sport.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2021, 11:46 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Those that turn a blind eye to him might be an enemy as well.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:46 PM   #6
The_Turf_Monster

This is becoming the easiest race of the year, I don’t even bother handicapping it anymore. Does Baffert have a horse? Ok, $100 across the board, everybody else can spend their time talking themselves in and out of crazy tri’s and supers while I take home $2300 on a $300 bet. I don’t need any kind of figures, I know his horse is always ready to run
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 12:26 AM   #7
minethatbird08

Won on futures pool for the record. However, nothing like some salonpas and jimsonweed to win a derby. This was no doubt the 3rd best 3yo in his barn.....thoughts....
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #8
clocker7
Veteran

Huh?

Jesus Christ, Baffert rocks this sport and needs to be supported, not be cancelled. Cancellers are the crap of life.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #9
barbaro123

Why didn't NBC tell the story of MS before he won?

This is a great Cinderella story- a Baffert horse, an underdog- even his trainer didn't really think he was going to win: Purchased for 1000.00 as a yearling and bought for a mere 35,000. by his owner: why not have told that story, really heartwarming-- by NBC during the lead up to the race. It was only after he won with such a gritty performance (and fairly shocking)- that we learn the back story of this horse. Most people, like myself, just figured he was another million dollar horse in Baffert's barn. Shame on NBC
barbaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 08:19 AM   #10
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #11
barbaro123

Jealousy

Lots of people on track and off the track are really jealous of Baffert, the most successful trainer in history.
barbaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #12
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

How did he go off at 12-1 sixth choice? I alluded to this before the race on the Serling thread.

Serling and Aragona picked him on top, the latter allowing 10-1. Milkowski liked him at better than 8-1. Beer picked him third, elevated to second with a scratch.

Free dismissed him as "a cut below" after picking his four, but that's ample public handicapper support. Apparently minethatbird08's "third best 3yo" in the Baffert barn was the best of a superior California crop this year?

He wasn't very popular on PA. Users "Trifecta" and "XTB" picked him in the likes & tosses thread. Robert Fischer and Afleet had him in the "B" stack. Taxicab and I had him second. I was on the , with many others here.

That said, my only real tosses in the top six were the favorite and , and I was nervous about the latter given his popularity here. I played a few savers with & .

I adopted the theory that belonged on the list of top (4) contenders, and his form was muddied a bit to offset Baffert inflation, but I was still surprised to see him above 10-1.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #13
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Those that turn a blind eye to him might be an enemy as well.
I agree with you 100%. But he is a great trainer. I just believe that he has also taken liberties and “short cuts”. That horses last two races were dull for a Baffert horse. The training between the SA Derby and Kentucky had to be perfect to get that horse out there and in command. These Derbies have transformed since I was younger. The breeding of speed with the change in rider strategy has turned most years into merry go round races for the most part. Nobody guns from the gate these days causing little change in order around the circuit.

I used Bafferts horse in an exacta but the place horse looked awful in LA Derby. Although he worked like a bear at CD. But it was pretty much the same 4 around the track. Other than Soup and Sandwich being the 5 th one but gave in early. I had my doubts about that favorite. And the racing Gods made up for the bad Ju Ju surrounding that horse with an awful trip. Bumped start, wide through out , ran way further than the three that beat him. Proving he’s not any better than the rest as people thought he was.

Baffert again! it was the only reason I used the horse. And still got nothing out of that race. See ya next year, God willing.

Last edited by burnsy; 05-02-2021 at 08:59 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #14
brocco

He's a magician that explains the secret to the trick (ahead of time)

Baffert has shown time after time that the strategy is to have horses contesting the lead (or on the lead) and "catch me if you can".

Everybody knows what he's going to do ahead of time, he explains the trick ad how it works..and the horse still goes off at 12-1...

Johnny V tried to teach the horse to rate and then when the Derby gate opened he guns Medina Spirit to the lead. Rock Your World gets pinched at the start and game over.
brocco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #15
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Baffert has shown time after time that the strategy is to have horses contesting the lead (or on the lead) and "catch me if you can".
Yep. Perhaps the late speed angle is bunk these days. One could have simply boxed the Brisnet E2 100+ Race Summary = $30 and collected a $848 trifecta. Next year's handicapping will take two minutes.

I was fortunate to hit the sire exacta wager and end up close to even on the weekend.

Last edited by f2tornado; 05-02-2021 at 10:24 AM.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: