Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #271
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
A "value bettor" looks at more than just the takeout before placing his wagers. A competitive field of 10 horses with a 17.5% takeout can offer a lot more "value" than the non-competitive field of 6 horses...even when the short field sports a takeout of 15%.
That's all in your mind though. If you're getting a lower return, you're getting a lower return. It goes back to what you said in the other thread. You might find a 10-horse field more "entertaining" and bettable, but if the takeout is a lot higher on the 10-horse race than the 6-horse race, you will not win as much, or you'll lose more.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #272
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You would think so, but that doesn't seem to be what happens. Nobody was flocking to Charles Town and Delaware and Mountaineer and Evangeline when there purses were right there with the big players.
I think there's probably some incremental shipping, but unless you are willing to relocate all your horses and find a new trainer (and most owners aren't going to do that) the impact will be limited. There are also extra costs for shipping so even that is capped a bit.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #273
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
That's all in your mind though. If you're getting a lower return, you're getting a lower return. It goes back to what you said in the other thread. You might find a 10-horse field more "entertaining" and bettable, but if the takeout is a lot higher on the 10-horse race than the 6-horse race, you will not win as much, or you'll lose more.
How so? A large competitive field provides many more opportunities for mistakes by the bettors and accordingly more overlays. A small field of mostly non-competitive horses will generally provide no overlays regardless of how low the takeout rate is.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #274
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
How so? A large competitive field provides many more opportunities for mistakes by the bettors and accordingly more overlays. A small field of mostly non-competitive horses will generally provide no overlays regardless of how low the takeout rate is.
Exactly!

The more "complications" there are in the race...the more likely it is for our competitors to make "mistakes" in their analysis of it. In essence...we are looking to capitalize on our competition's MISTAKES.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #275
highnote

Quote:
Overlays depend on the skill of the handicapper.

To reiterate my point:

If two valuebettors of equal ability bet at two different tracks with two different takeouts the valuebetter betting at the track with the lower takeout will come out ahead in the long run. That's a mathematical fact.

Now, you might think there is more value in larger fields at tracks with higher takeouts, but another better with your same ability who bets at track with small fields and a lower takeout will end up with more money than you in the long run, all else being equal.

It is a matter of preference to bet into a larger or smaller field, but the mathematical laws don't change based on a preference.

You might win more than you would by betting at tracks with races with small fields and a higher takeout, but that is only because of psychology. It has nothing to do with mathematics.

If you could put the psychology aside and focus on winning where takeout is lower, in the long run, you would come out ahead.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #276
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post

To reiterate my point:

If two valuebettors of equal ability bet at two different tracks with two different takeouts the valuebetter betting at the track with the lower takeout will come out ahead in the long run. That's a mathematical fact.

Now, you might think there is more value in larger fields at tracks with higher takeouts, but another better with your same ability who bets at track with small fields and a lower takeout will end up with more money than you in the long run, all else being equal.

It is a matter of preference to bet into a larger or smaller field, but the mathematical laws don't change based on a preference.

You might win more than you would by betting at tracks with races with small fields and a higher takeout, but that is only because of psychology. It has nothing to do with mathematics.

If you could put the psychology aside and focus on winning where takeout is lower, in the long run, you would come out ahead.
I've seen the same argument made by win-bettors...who think that it's a "mathematical fact" that the win pool is more profitable than the exotics pool...because of the higher takeouts of the exotics. Alas...things aren't that simple in this game.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #277
Lafecs

Quote:

To reiterate my point:

Don't waste your breath
Lafecs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #278
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I've seen the same argument made by win-bettors...who think that it's a "mathematical fact" that the win pool is more profitable than the exotics pool...because of the higher takeouts of the exotics. Alas...things aren't that simple in this game.
You could have a greater profit in the exacta pools with a lower return on investment.

Profit is mainly a function of how much you bet. You could bet a lot with a negative expectation, get lucky, win a bundle, and end up with a huge profit.

Or you could play only positive expectation games, bet very little, and win very little over a given period of time.

You could have a large edge in a very difficult game where you will win very infrequently, but when you do the payoff is huge -- like playing unpopular numbers in the lottery. You might win on your first attempt or it might take a million years. Every bet might have a positive expectation, but you could still lose.

But if you feel comfortable betting into events with higher takeouts then have at it. Hopefully, you'll win a lot! But your winning won't change the fact that, all else being equal, your expectation is better in a 15% pool than a 17.5% pool.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #279
highnote

If you bet at high takeout tracks you are encouraging them to keep takeouts high. You give them permission to raise rates.

Remember, you get treated the way you let people treat you.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #280
GMB@BP

http://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-ta...se-out-players

Not sure if posted but a much longer piece on the raise

I love the end paragraph or two. Its awesome in its only in racing special way.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #281
thaskalos

Quote:
If you bet at high takeout tracks you are encouraging them to keep takeouts high. You give them permission to raise rates.

Remember, you get treated the way you let people treat you.
Do you suppose that these tracks will LOWER their takeouts...if I withdraw this "permission" that I've given them to raise them?
Old 08-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #282
Afleet

Quote:
The Canterbury experiment sure didn't help convincing anybody.
I will be interested in what Canterbury's total handle is this year-I'll bet it will be down, but they won't blame the increased take they will blame the weather. Last year I tried to play a few races there, but they always ran quarter horses in the early double so I passed.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #283
Andy Asaro

Excerpt:

The criticism came fast and furious. And not unexpectedly.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #284
GMB@BP

For those that bet solid money in this sport...

why do you do it?

I personally stopped a ways back, never could get past the break even point despite being pretty good at the game. With the straight up mathematics I am just wondering what is the attraction from a gambling perspective?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #285
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post

Not sure if posted but a much longer piece on the raise

I love the end paragraph or two. Its awesome in its only in racing special way.
I'm surprised the author didn't mention the on track reduction in takeout of the show pool at Oaklawn-handle increased significantly. CD is a bad comparison because they have the greatest race in North America that is a worldwide event. I would think the Oaklawn and Kee comparison would be more relevant.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply