Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly7449
MR. P.A.

Your wee hours response as owner of this BBS did not give Dave to respond and spell it out as usual.

You intercept valid post not allowing the proper response.
If I could have this translated into a more understandable form of English, I might be able to formulate a polite response.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
traveler

Hi Patrick - why don't you try to re-handicap 20 races that you have bet on in the past.

Use HSH with the "old" NewPace process you have and apply the Renegade Handicapper to arrive at your bets and tell us the results.

I know 20 races isn't much of a test but it's something.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #33
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I have a question. Why is it that there seems to be many more people satisfied with HSH products, and only one or two constant complainers?
I think that most of us know why. If the same kind of persistence was applied to handicapping these people might make a profit now and again.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #34
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Yet , someone explained to me this is a business and without new products to sell one does not keep making money, this was hard for me to grasp, but maybe I have , but the Newpace thing still has me a little baffled, if the Newpace I bought worked , then why could it not be part of the "Almost Turnkey System , why must I buy for 250 or more the New Newpace, this I have a hard time understanding, sorry.
Patrick,

I do not know why you (or Sly) would not understand this.

I produce software. That software runs on downloads. It is my responsibility to make sure that the software works as advertised. It is not my responsibility to teach you how to win. It is your responsibility to accomplish that.

I do, however, put on many free workshops to do just that. Heck, I even do free workshops for people who have never purchased anything (and many never will).

Besides, the manual version of NewPace (Advanced version) IS part of the HSH installation! No extra charge whatsoever. Even if you didn't buy the video version!

And for the record, the NewPace button has been available to ALL users for several weeks. So, while you were so busy complaining, you could have been using the NewPace button all along. But that wouldn't work for you because then you would not have anything to complain about, right?

(This feature will go away on Friday.)

Because of many, many requests from HSH users, I took a couple of hundred programming hours to make the NewPace task so easy that it could be accomplished with the click of a single button. (This also included a several very powerful utilities that greatly enhance the task of handling hundreds of different systems.)

BTW, one of the hardest tasks was to make the NewPace system flexible enough that the individual user could customize it to suit his own needs. After all, if we're all on the same horses, then nothing will work for long.

Did I OWE all that to YOU without charge?

If I do OWE you everything I ever produce for free, then why would I still keep producing? What is my motivation? Is it because you have worked so hard to be a valuable customer?

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 08-21-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 03:35 AM   #35
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
I have a question. Why is it that there seems to be many more people satisfied with HSH products, and only one or two constant complainers?
Do you own HSH? You are always so quick to defend it, I guess you must.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #36
lansdale

There are others

Quote:
Hi PA,

When I made a few posts critical of Dave and his methods some time back, I received about half a dozen strongly negative PMs both here and on the RDSS site from HSH customers who were disappointed with HSH. These complaints all had the same theme: when Dave expplained how to use HSH, they couldn't understand what the hell he was talking about. Basically, he engaged in doubletalk.

After reading many hundreds of Dave's posts here, and posts both from his friends and detractors, this is how I view Dave and his business practices. HSH (and all his many other products) comprise something like a handicapping tool hardware store where only a tiny percentage of the potential customers have the research skills required to make a consistent profit from the game. Of course there is a much larger group that would like to have and be able to use these tools to beat the game, but lack these skills. I believe Dave himself falls into this second group, and that, in fact, the bulk of his income is derived from the sales of his products, based on all his speech and behavior. Of the people who claim to be satisified with HSH, and Dave's products generally, based on the posts I read here, these are not serious gamblers, but are people whose handicapping may have been helped by use of them.

I think the problem is that Dave relentlessly overhypes products that, for most handicappers, will offer only modest improvement in their results, at best. If he dropped the hype and the doubletalk, and dealt with the handicapping public in a more honest manner, the complaints would disppear.

Cheers,
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #37
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale
I believe Dave himself falls into this second group, and that, in fact, the bulk of his income is derived from the sales of his products, based on all his speech and behavior.
You pretty much couldn't be more wrong in that statement, which makes your opinion on this matter highly suspect in its entirety.

And i'm not sure why you're surprised not everyone is successful with Dave's software. There doesn't exist a piece of commercial software that turns everyone who uses it into a winner. Heck, there doesn't exist ANYTHING that turns all, or even a large portion of its user base into winners.

There are people in this world (lots of them in fact) who could find a way to lose money even if you gave them the winner of the race before it is run.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-21-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #38
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
Do you own HSH? You are always so quick to defend it, I guess you must.
"I guess" I don't need to answer the question then.

Having known Dave and his products both as a friend and as a customer, I am quick to defend him because he is tireless in his customer service efforts and he knows his shit when it comes to writing original, cutting edge software. And he's always seeking to improve himself and his products. He's not the type that is looking to sell the same piece of software for the next 15-20 years. He's always innovating and evolving his thought process and his software. Why would you want anything less?

I've been a fan of his since the early 90s, in the days of the BrainWaves newsletter and the ThoroBrain software. Well before I ever started this website.

Dave and his software certainly isn't going to be a good fit for everyone...again, no product is...everyone is different, and must figure out for themselves what will work WITH them.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #39
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
"I guess" I don't need to answer the question then.

Having known Dave and his products both as a friend and as a customer, I am quick to defend him because he is tireless in his customer service efforts and he knows his shit when it comes to writing original, cutting edge software. And he's always seeking to improve himself and his products. He's not the type that is looking to sell the same piece of software for the next 15-20 years. He's always innovating and evolving his thought process and his software. Why would you want anything less?

I've been a fan of his since the early 90s, in the days of the BrainWaves newsletter and the ThoroBrain software. Well before I ever started this website.

Dave and his software certainly isn't going to be a good fit for everyone...again, no product is...everyone is different, and must figure out for themselves what will work WITH them.
OK, I'll rephrase. Do you own, and are you currently using HSH?
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #40
MrBaseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale
Hi PA,

When I made a few posts critical of Dave and his methods some time back, I received about half a dozen strongly negative PMs both here and on the RDSS site from HSH customers who were disappointed with HSH. These complaints all had the same theme: when Dave expplained how to use HSH, they couldn't understand what the hell he was talking about. Basically, he engaged in doubletalk.

After reading many hundreds of Dave's posts here, and posts both from his friends and detractors, this is how I view Dave and his business practices. HSH (and all his many other products) comprise something like a handicapping tool hardware store where only a tiny percentage of the potential customers have the research skills required to make a consistent profit from the game. Of course there is a much larger group that would like to have and be able to use these tools to beat the game, but lack these skills. I believe Dave himself falls into this second group, and that, in fact, the bulk of his income is derived from the sales of his products, based on all his speech and behavior. Of the people who claim to be satisified with HSH, and Dave's products generally, based on the posts I read here, these are not serious gamblers, but are people whose handicapping may have been helped by use of them.

I think the problem is that Dave relentlessly overhypes products that, for most handicappers, will offer only modest improvement in their results, at best. If he dropped the hype and the doubletalk, and dealt with the handicapping public in a more honest manner, the complaints would disppear.

Cheers,

Lansdale........

I've been an HSH user since 2001. I fall into the second category of HSH user's that you've described. I've got limited t-bred handicapping skills (previous 25+ years spent 'capping harness racing) and computer/statiscal are also limited..........Just your average JOE!!

I play the game for fun!!! Dave has provided me with the equivalent of a B.S. & M.A. in T-Bred Handicapping. Dave has always preached "I'm providing you with the basic tools.........now go out and formulate your own personal strategy. That's what I try to accomplish.

NEW PACE flat out works for ME!! I am now a small profitable winner (all my HSH expenses are now paid for by HSH profits + a few $'s left over for fun!!). For me, any additions and costs of further developments in NEW PACE has been worth any additonal costs and time expenditures. After all, this is a fluid game, so continuing improvements to a product (which works for me) makes sense to me. Will I ever be a serious player.......probably not, as it's not my number 1 priority.

Finally, Dave is very very much a people person and I think most folks that interact with him come away with a very positive experience. I understand that one cannot satisfy 100% of the folks all the time.

My Dave Schwartz & HSH rating

This endorsement is made objectively by Mr Baseball who has no ties with the above mentioned product and owner of such product.
MrBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #41
Greyfox

"The Man in the Glass"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Patrick,

I do not know why you (or Sly) would not understand this.

I produce software. That software runs on downloads. It is my responsibility to make sure that the software works as advertised. It is not my responsibility to teach you how to win. It is your responsibility to accomplish that.
Exactly.

A tool is only as good as the craftsman that is using it.

Some horseplayers have an unconscious desire to lose, despite their protestations to the contrary. The best software in the world cannot overcome that.

The bottom line is: "If something isn't working for you, do something different."

HSH software, no matter how good it is, will not be for everyone.
If a consumer buys it and it works - great.
If it doesn't, they should move on.
In many instances, they should consider not playing the ponies at all.
Don't blame a software that has worked for others.
Instead, look in the mirror and be honest with the man looking back at you.

Maybe the following poem is applicable here:

The Man In The Glass Peter Dale Wimbrow Sr.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
For he’s with you, clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #42
EvenSteven

I agree with Greyfox and
Handicapping is very individualistic and characters are welcome. God bless America, but let’s not talk politics. Some want handouts oops sorry I didn’t mean to talk politics.
HSH is very powerful, individualistic program and not for everyone as it should be.
It could be argued New Pace is for everyone.
Dave is great mentor who will expand your thinking. He is always available when you need help and with Skype you can hook up with other users who are helpful.
This is an interesting and challenging endeavor we are on and leaving plenty of room to do whatever we want. Which makes it great.
EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #43
Milo F

HSH user for 1 1/2 years

Horse Racing Handicapping = Complex

HSH

support = most supported software I have ever used

complicated = Yes

learning curve = steep but once mastered -look out

capabilities =almost endless. Up to the user to tweak the software the way he would handicap and bet various race conditions and various tracks. Once tweaked, betting a race is as simple as 1, 2, 3

production = short of a staff of 5 and a Cray computer, the best

Dave = he knows the subject and genuinely loves what he does

New Pace = More like a turn-key handicapping solution but with tons of tweaking possibilities.

If you do not like the New Pace approach for a particular type of race at track X, then switch to 1 of x squared approaches available in HSH.

I am very pleased with HSH and highly recommend it.

Milo Fuller
Milo F is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #44
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I've been a customer of Dave's since about 1993 - Brainwaves and his pars.
He was recommended by Tom Brohamer.....good enough for me.
I have bought a few things from hims over the years, and always been satisfied.

0 complaints here.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #45
thaskalos

I am also one of Dave's satisfied customers.

I find him to be a very honest, very knowledgeable person...who is very generous with his time -- even with those who have never bought anything from him.

As I recall...my very first phone call to him lasted almost two hours.

I don't agree with everything that he has to say...and I would be terribly disappointed in him if I did...

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-21-2012 at 04:27 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply