Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
Andy Asaro

Paulick: Time for Anti-Lasix advocates to move on to other doping problems

Excerpt:

It pains me to say this, but it's time for the anti-Lasix advocates to move on and focus on more important areas of the drug problem our industry faces. I say this as someone who is embarrassed over our industry's inability to do what the rest of the world is perfectly capable of doing and compete drug-free on race-day.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 06-26-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Makes you wonder what, exactly they are protecting by not going drug free on race day...and whom.

Will certain careers go down the toilet?
Old 06-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Makes you wonder what, exactly they are protecting by not going drug free on race day...and whom.

Will certain careers go down the toilet?
It couldn't be that the trainers are using lasix as a "masking agent" for other drugs...could it?
Old 06-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Lasix sucks. Having been following this game long enough to remember no lasix, lasix for those that really bled, and now lasix for basically every horse, I have little doubt it has hurt the game and not in a small way.

Is there other stuff going on? Almost undoubtedly. That should go as well. But I wouldn't abandon the fight against lasix. Drug free on race day is a good start to the finding other stuff.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Lasix sucks. Having been following this game long enough to remember no lasix, lasix for those that really bled, and now lasix for basically every horse, I have little doubt it has hurt the game and not in a small way.

Is there other stuff going on? Almost undoubtedly. That should go as well. But I wouldn't abandon the fight against lasix. Drug free on race day is a good start to the finding other stuff.
Agree. Another issue is the long recovery time for Lasix horses which I feel contributes to the shorter fields we see.
Augenj is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
Appy

Wow! Blown away by the steady stream of anti drug support here. I very much appreciate that, and am confident that to be the attitude of all genuine horsemen for whom object #1 is to "do what's best for the HORSE".

Seems to me abandoning the fight against lasix due to severity of other issues is another example of hammering your finger to make your toe stop hurting. I'm in the camp that believes eliminating lasix would simultaneously provide relief/improvement in other areas as well.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Interesting that as of about 4:15 pm eastern time today:

More than 2100 viewers at Ray's site took the time to answer a survey.

And of those, just over 73% voted Yes in support of the Horse Racing Integrity Act, which would provide national oversight of medication in the sport.

Screenshot:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaulickReport06262018_415pm-eastern.JPG (114.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/st...69585622208512

Excerpt:

It pains me to say this, but it's time for the anti-Lasix advocates to move on and focus on more important areas of the drug problem our industry faces. I say this as someone who is embarrassed over our industry's inability to do what the rest of the world is perfectly capable of doing and compete drug-free on race-day.
If they couldn't even successfully address the lasix problem, good luck on troubleshooting "special feed", and druggists who technologically are able to stay one step ahead of the testing procedures and more "severe issues" ...

When the fork you're using doesn't have the capability of cutting thru an overcooked soft potato, its not going to be able to attack a tough steak or raw hard-as-a-rock red beet.

Last edited by clicknow; 06-26-2018 at 04:55 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
Parson

Here is an older study from the Horse magazine, a non racing publication
https://thehorse.com/118316/eiph-and...ses-explained/

It is several years old but it concludes with the following:

"All racing horses suffer (from EIPH) at some level," Tobin said in closing. A conservative, science-based interpretation is that furosemide acts to protects the welfare of racing horses and also their riders, he added.

And, in a salute to American horsemen and to the community at large, he noted that American horsemen had "correctly determined the benefits of furosemide 40 or so years ago, while it has taken science more than 30 years to confirm that the horsemen were on the right track, so to speak, all along with furosemide."

As an owner I am opposed to the lasix ban as it is written now. I am not opposed to any other anti doping legislation or a commission established, just not as this bill is written. Read the bill for yourself and form your own opinion.

An immediate ban on Lasix with the mandatory layoffs when they do bleed will hurt field size. If you ban it now as it is proposed, get ready for a steady field of 4 5 and 6 horse fields. IMHO
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2018, 01:00 AM   #10
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It couldn't be that the trainers are using lasix as a "masking agent" for other drugs...could it?
There is some debate about this. MLB suspends Robinson Cano for 80 games for having lasix in his system, but there are some in the horse racing industry who argue that "Lasix cannot be administered in a way that can manipulate a drug test."

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...k-other-drugs/
Old 06-27-2018, 03:14 AM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
There is some debate about this. MLB suspends Robinson Cano for 80 games for having lasix in his system, but there are some in the horse racing industry who argue that "Lasix cannot be administered in a way that can manipulate a drug test."

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...k-other-drugs/
As Upton Sinclair said, it is difficult to get the truth out of someone whose livelihood depends on a falsehood.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #12
Fager Fan
Veteran

Let the conspiracy theories abound.

There are zero trainers who think Lasix has anything at all to do with unclean racing. Zero. What they do think is that Lasix is needed because horses bleed in their lungs at speed. Guess what? Do away with Lasix, and then we'll just do what they do in Europe and what we did in the old days, which is tie the horse up to the side of the stall for 9 hours and withhold all water, you know, really good stuff like that. Or letting them bleed, which is very uncomfortable for the horse when he suddenly finds he can't breathe. Or worse, let him bleed so severely that he actually dies of bleeding. You think that's more humane than giving the horse a simple shot before a race and then giving him electrolyte replacements after the race?

Lasix is the MOST HUMANE treatment for EIPH in horses. Treating the horse humanely should be the top priority.

If humans experienced bleeding in the lungs when they ran, which of you would just let your child bleed in his lungs, resulting in scarring the child's lungs, instead of giving the child a simple treatment that allowed him to play safely?

LASIX is NOT THE PROBLEM, and it's absurd that we keep talking about it.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 06-27-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Don't they withhold water from horses prior to races even WITH Lasix?

And why would you have to tie the horse to the side of the stall? The water buckets aren't removable?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
jay68802

What I found interesting about the latest hearing on the Integrity Act was that the Owners, Trainers, and Racing Commissions were all against it. The two main objections were Lasix and funding.

Would these groups be behind this act if Lasix was removed and the money issue was spelled out and affordable? Or are they against the act because it would bring in oversight from a "outside" organization?

Seems to me that the second one is probably the real fear.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Let the conspiracy theories abound.

There are zero trainers who think Lasix has anything at all to do with unclean racing. Zero. What they do think is that Lasix is needed because horses bleed in their lungs at speed. Guess what? Do away with Lasix, and then we'll just do what they do in Europe and what we did in the old days, which is tie the horse up to the side of the stall for 9 hours and withhold all water, you know, really good stuff like that. Or letting them bleed, which is very uncomfortable for the horse when he suddenly finds he can't breathe. Or worse, let him bleed so severely that he actually dies of bleeding. You think that's more humane than giving the horse a simple shot before a race and then giving him electrolyte replacements after the race?

Lasix is the MOST HUMANE treatment for EIPH in horses. Treating the horse humanely should be the top priority.

If humans experienced bleeding in the lungs when they ran, which of you would just let your child bleed in his lungs, resulting in scarring the child's lungs, instead of giving the child a simple treatment that allowed him to play safely?

LASIX is NOT THE PROBLEM, and it's absurd that we keep talking about it.
Fager, the problem is it also masks doping.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: