Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #61
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Ah ha!
Maybe I better cut out the pickled herring.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #62
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
I'm with Ralph. Almost every cat I ever owned (and I'm a crazy cat man) was a rescued stray or feral. They make the best companions, and I never see a mouse or rat around the barn.
The cat I have now used to kill mice that managed to get in the house, now she just plays with them. At least she flushes them out and I scoop them up and toss them outside. Pretty lame cat needing help from a human to catch mice.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #63
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
The cat I have now used to kill mice that managed to get in the house, now she just plays with them. At least she flushes them out and I scoop them up and toss them outside. Pretty lame cat needing help from a human to catch mice.
My cats are the same way...the two mice I've seen the last few years...they were "playing" with it...not killing or trying to eat it...

Them I just pick them up with a hand towel and take them outside and drop them off a few blocks away...lol
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #64
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Simple solution for your "lame cat": Cut back on her food.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:49 AM   #65
Clocker

Cross posted from the Winter Olympics thread;

https://i.imgur.com/gGkMUx9.gif
Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #66
jay68802

After reading some responses here I had a memory surface. A while back, one of the local golf courses had a badger problem. The manager had bought some large live traps to catch the badger. I called him and he let me use those traps. I also called my uncle who lives on the family farm and asked if he or any one he knew needed a cat. Bottom line is that this morning three cats were moved to local farms, and I can move 4 or 5 more if needed. The neighbor saw me doing this and came unglued, until he realized that the cats were going to homes that will care for them. Now all that is left is to convince him to stop putting out food. The perches on the roof are going to stay, I sort of like the Great Horned Owl who has became a nightly visitor.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #67
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
After reading some responses here I had a memory surface. A while back, one of the local golf courses had a badger problem. The manager had bought some large live traps to catch the badger. I called him and he let me use those traps. I also called my uncle who lives on the family farm and asked if he or any one he knew needed a cat. Bottom line is that this morning three cats were moved to local farms, and I can move 4 or 5 more if needed. The neighbor saw me doing this and came unglued, until he realized that the cats were going to homes that will care for them. Now all that is left is to convince him to stop putting out food. The perches on the roof are going to stay, I sort of like the Great Horned Owl who has became a nightly visitor.
That's a very good solution. Applause.

I feed cats outside which means I also have some raccoons and possums who visit. I also put out some deer feed sometimes. I enjoy watching them. They don't hurt anything (and I live on acreage).
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #68
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
That's a very good solution. Applause.

I feed cats outside which means I also have some raccoons and possums who visit. I also put out some deer feed sometimes. I enjoy watching them. They don't hurt anything (and I live on acreage).
Cats are brutal on bird and small mammal populations.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #69
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I think their primary purpose in being on earth is to kill and harass squirrels.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #70
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Small mammals? Like what?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #71
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Small mammals? Like what?
Squirrels, Rabbits, Possums, Mice, Moles.

All kinds of stuff.

Cats are insanely effective predators. Domesticated (House) cats are the worst because they aren't predators just killers.

My only real thing with cats is if you have them just keep them inside. That would apply to about 95% of cat owners. People with barns and livestock are a little different but overall they are bad for the environment.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #72
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Squirrels, Rabbits, Possums, Mice, Moles.

All kinds of stuff.

Cats are insanely effective predators. Domesticated (House) cats are the worst because they aren't predators just killers.

My only real thing with cats is if you have them just keep them inside. That would apply to about 95% of cat owners. People with barns and livestock are a little different but overall they are bad for the environment.
I'm pretty sure it's a rare possum that gets killed by a cat. My cats definitely don't mess with the possums are raccoons, they all seem to choose to live peacefully out there together The possums are definitely two or three times the weight of the cats.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #73
Ocala Mike

I've lost several barn cats to coyotes. Payback's a bitch in the jungle down here.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #74
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a rare possum that gets killed by a cat. My cats definitely don't mess with the possums are raccoons, they all seem to choose to live peacefully out there together The possums are definitely two or three times the weight of the cats.
I agree, I've always been amused by how possums, raccoons, and cats all seem to have a strong mutual respect system in place. Sometimes they've even been downright friendly!
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #75
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
I've lost several barn cats to coyotes. Payback's a bitch in the jungle down here.
Coyotes should be killed, by any means available, whenever encountered.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: