Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #16
WP1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Just a matter of time before we see this happen to tbred tracks in some states, especially the ones....well you can figure that out yourself.
Who do you figure will be running at that point? Will Tup be the west coast circuit and Oaklawn the east?

Rillito will not be a factor as Tucson will shut it down in solidarity with the other states. A little slice of Los Angeles heaven down here..rampant crime, bleeding hearts, homelessness and potholes.
WP1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 12:47 AM   #17
ultracapper

Jut saw this on Yahoo News. Headline reads something like "Voters ban Greyhound racing in FLA,

then they have a picture of a dalmatian under the headline.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

I'm like......WHAT???
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #18
cutchemist42

The same arguments to get rid of the dogs applied to the horses. I dont think racing has a long future in Florida. With the greyhounds gone, there is no cover now for horse racing to stand behind and avoid critisicm.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #19
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1981 View Post
Who do you figure will be running at that point? Will Tup be the west coast circuit and Oaklawn the east?

Rillito will not be a factor as Tucson will shut it down in solidarity with the other states. A little slice of Los Angeles heaven down here..rampant crime, bleeding hearts, homelessness and potholes.
If you lose the big markets the sport is dead so not sure it would really matter.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #20
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1981 View Post

any feces on the sidewalks yet, like san fran? Thats when you know you made it
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #21
WP1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
any feces on the sidewalks yet, like san fran? Thats when you know you made it
I am sure there is. You couldnt tell the difference between that or the local cuisine. We drive an hour up to Chandler/Gilbert when going out to eat.

Just a dumpster fire of a city they are all so damn proud of. That Old Pueblo charm that has landed it as one of the top 10 worst cities to live in the US.
WP1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #22
papillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
The same arguments to get rid of the dogs applied to the horses. I dont think racing has a long future in Florida. With the greyhounds gone, there is no cover now for horse racing to stand behind and avoid critisicm.
I disagree.

The lives ot track greyhounds are really bleak. They are crated 24hrs sometime. When you adopt one you have to be very patient, because some are terrified of the world beyond their crates. And dog racing is a tiny part of the economy.

Horse racing is a much larger industry here than dog racing, Ocala is the yearling boot camp of America, plus our breeding programs and one of the major tracks in the nation.

Most people, tbh, don't even know what a high place in the history of horse racing FL holds. Some dont even know there is horseracing here. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, most people have no clue you can drive 20 minutes south to watch one of the premier races for Derby bound 3yos.

As long as they believe the horses are well cared for, people will support it. People love horses, but unlike greyhounds they can't adopt one, so racing fills a gap, esp if you make them proud of FL racing.

If I had the money, or some way to contact Stronach, I would like to build a carousel, where the horses are all of FL's storied statebreds--Fager, Ta Wee, Carry Back, Affirmed, Skip Away, Holy Bull, Foolish Pleasure, Afleet Alex, Needles etc, non-statebreds that won the FL Derby--Nashua, Northern Dancer, the Bid, Alydar, Swale, Unbridled etc., with one horse changed each year for the current winner (I guess the Pegasus too).

We even produced Onion: ride the horse that took down Secretariat.

You could sell tickets that go to a racehorse retirement fund that look like wager slips. Put it at Gulfstream, Stronach's already got the gigantic Pegasus fighting a Dragon statue there, a carousel can't be any worse. Instead of music, it play the race calls of their famous races.

To save racing in FL we need to get ahead of the anti-initiatives--get pro-initiatives that protect the horses. As long as people feel the horses are happy and healthy, racing will not die at the hands of the voters, from no money maybe, but not Floridians.

Anywho, I'm happy for the hounds. If I wasn't surrounded by muskovies, peacocks, egyptian geese, herons, and cats, I'd adopt one or three, but it's really hard to get ones that don't sight on small creatures. I just watched a dog rip a muskovie to shreds today, it was horrible.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2018, 12:46 AM   #23
stlseeeek

Sadly, if people don't hurry, many of the shit head kennels/trainers will just leave them to die, in the woods some where in Central Florida.

We actually were doing to surveying work on a Sunday, and found one of the trucks they haul them in, and a stench we will never forget. Called Cops and let them deal with it, read in paper days later it was a truck full of dogs, left to die, because they couldn't win or run no more, and owner/trainer didn't(reasoning from local dog tracks and people in business) have time to let them get adopted.Wanted them gone, no more meal $, vet bills,etc.

And naturally, truck was registered to some illegal, who had been dead for over 10 years. They eventually got a break and busted owner/trainer. But killing dogs doesn't come with the punishment it should.

Melbourne Dog track(fl), has done a great job of getting the dogs there adopted, but sadly, some in the business of dog racing are POS, same with Horse racing.
stlseeeek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #24
castaway01

If you read the DRF article, the anti-greyhound side hardly spent any money. Any county where they ran ads with footage of greyhounds breaking down or being locked in small cages, they got more than 70% of the vote. Unlike some of you, to me, the voters have spoken---people don't want racing. And keep in mind this is Florida, which while certainly a state with a lot of problems, is more of a red state than a blue one.

Couldn't the same thing happen to horse racing? I think it's a lot less likely because most people have seen a horse race, even if it's just the Kentucky Derby. They know horses don't break down in every race. There also have been several high-profile breakdowns and horse racing is still here. A lot of people, obviously, own dogs, and don't like the idea of their pet being treated the way some greyhounds are so that a literal handful of people still gambling on greyhound racing can get their thrills.

So what does that mean for us? Probably nothing, because horse racing has a lot more money behind it than greyhound racing, but it's a message that the various controversies recently posted on this site (presumably by people who like horse racing and are fans)---from the horses sent to the killers to whatever happened to Baffert's horses to the former stakes horses now running for pennies---need to be sorted out so there's no reason for anyone to say horse racing is cruel and should be banned.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #25
Threechimes
Journeyman

Horse Racing is like a wild animal caught in a snare. It would chew its foot off to escape. While everybody here can rationalize why dog racing is worse and deserved to be shutdown . About 1% of all race horses are treated like royalty. The other 99% are in horrible conditions and are drugged and masked to keep racing . You can deny it all day but if you have been around this game long enough you know in your heart it is populated by criminals and scumbags .
Threechimes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #26
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threechimes View Post
Horse Racing is like a wild animal caught in a snare. It would chew its foot off to escape. While everybody here can rationalize why dog racing is worse and deserved to be shutdown . About 1% of all race horses are treated like royalty. The other 99% are in horrible conditions and are drugged and masked to keep racing . You can deny it all day but if you have been around this game long enough you know in your heart it is populated by criminals and scumbags .
And credibility is shot to hell. Hopefully this is hyperbole, because it isn't reality.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #27
Threechimes
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
And credibility is shot to hell. Hopefully this is hyperbole, because it isn't reality.

Really?

Ever walk the backstretch ? Ever see where horses who breakdown are put? If you think that people in the claiming game give a crap about horse flesh you have been duped. They are pawns in a game . They get minimal treatment at best . Stand and sleep in there own piss for 18 hours a day . Get out of there stalls only for it to be cleaned or to exercise for twenty minutes. Get fed cheap grain. Cheap hay.

Please 99% might be a high number but if you think these horses are being treated well you are an idiot

At cheap harness tracks I have seen dead horses lay out by the dumpster for days .

Last edited by Threechimes; 11-12-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Threechimes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2018, 04:10 AM   #28
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
I disagree.

The lives ot track greyhounds are really bleak. They are crated 24hrs sometime. When you adopt one you have to be very patient, because some are terrified of the world beyond their crates. And dog racing is a tiny part of the economy.
And I'd have to disagree with you, though my experience is admittedly limited. I worked in animal rescue and as a vet assistant from 2007 to 2011. In January of 2010 we got 5 greyhounds straight off the track. There was one small female who was timid, but even she adapted quickly. All 5 of them soon socialized with a myriad of different dogs and loved to play. All rescued dogs do require patience, but these greyhounds were far from terrified and I don't believe their racetrack lives were bleak or isolated.

Last edited by Someday Silent; 11-14-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #29
chadk66

Back in 94' a good friend of mine took me to the inaugural brickyard 400. He was friends with Mary George the owner of the track. She has an enormous kennel at her farm in Terre Haute. She basically takes in any dog that the pound is going to put to sleep. I can't even tell you how many she had there. The facility she kept the dogs in was nicer than the home she was living in. She had one dog that was her personal pet that went wherever she went. It was a retired grey hound. Every morning and evening we had to be at her home at the speedway for catered breakfast and supper. She had quite a few hollywood types there all the time. James Garner, Florence Henderson, Gomer Pyle, etc. Guess who stood and who laid on the couch lol. The dog was high emporer lol. Even the hollywood elites played second fiddle to that dog.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #30
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
Back in 94' a good friend of mine took me to the inaugural brickyard 400. He was friends with Mary George the owner of the track. She has an enormous kennel at her farm in Terre Haute. She basically takes in any dog that the pound is going to put to sleep. I can't even tell you how many she had there. The facility she kept the dogs in was nicer than the home she was living in. She had one dog that was her personal pet that went wherever she went. It was a retired grey hound. Every morning and evening we had to be at her home at the speedway for catered breakfast and supper. She had quite a few hollywood types there all the time. James Garner, Florence Henderson, Gomer Pyle, etc. Guess who stood and who laid on the couch lol. The dog was high emporer lol. Even the hollywood elites played second fiddle to that dog.
Great story.
Augenj is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: