Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 11-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
Capper Al

The Hunter Warriors

What is the lure that keeps people playing the game while losing? I believe as hard as the racing game is there is some sort of appeal to our more basic instincts, hunting and fighting. As complex and at times dishonest the game is, it still may be the best place we have for proving our own worth to our self in a life that is just bestowed upon us. We inherit our social status. Our education and training in life are random gifts for better or worse. But racing is a place, were in relative safety, we can test our innate abilities to use our mind and survive and maybe be triumphant. Racing provides a playing field where status and education seem not to matter, an illusion of a world where we can survive on our own wit with none of the fortunes or misfortunes of fate to hold us back or give others advantages over us. The irony of this game that is accused as being fixed at times is that it appears to be one of the few places where we can find a fair fight in life. And for better or worse, the feeling of being our own hunter warrior is just wonderful.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
ultracapper

Interesting post. I have to disagree that education and training are random gifts, but the questioning of the allure is kind of thought provoking. I think it's the gambling myself. The hope to make some easy money.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Interesting post. I have to disagree that education and training are random gifts, but the questioning of the allure is kind of thought provoking. I think it's the gambling myself. The hope to make some easy money.
Without any social economic barriers using your own wit.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply